Exposed Wiring >

Exposed Wiring

Notices

Exposed Wiring

Old 12-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exposed Wiring

Went to look at my new to me 42 EX today and boy was I surprised. I just happened to look under the dash and saw that there was no cover. All the Electrical wiring and Cables we're left wide open to all the elements. Is this a common practice of Fountain to leave everything exposed, or am I missing something. Just can't BELIEVE that Fountain would build the DASH that way.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to cover the underside of the Dash up? I'm thinking of having a piece of vinyl cut to size with snaps.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Exposed Wiring

They have been doing it this way along with many other builders for years. I just keep my wires where they terminated coated with T-9 and never had a problem with a 29 Fever I owned for 5 years.

Even if you cover the wiring with a snap on cover of some sort the elements will still get to the wires and they should be coated with a anti-corovise spray. My 38TE wiring is all under the dash behind a fiberglass compartment and door and I still need to coat the wire terminals with T-9. the elements will get to anything anywhere.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea - that is the way they do it and have been doing it for years. They probably figure that it is not going to get any water on it so why worry about it. You can put a peice of vinyl over it but that probably wont have any effect one way or another. Just be carefull with the hose and you shouldnt have any problems. NEVER hose off the dash board.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Registered

Fountain as well as other manufacturers have been doing this for years. Rub rails? Wiring? whats with this guy? Its a boat!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
They have been doing it this way along with many other builders for years. I just keep my wires where they terminated coated with T-9 and never had a problem with a 29 Fever I owned for 5 years.

Even if you cover the wiring with a snap on cover of some sort the elements will still get to the wires and they should be coated with a anti-corovise spray. My 38TE wiring is all under the dash behind a fiberglass compartment and door and I still need to coat the wire terminals with T-9. the elements will get to anything anywhere.

Yup!! Lie on your back, put on goggles(a must), saturate with T-9, and no worries!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the above and don't look under the dash any more.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK GUYS you have made your point. The next time I have a questiion concerning the Fountains attention to detail I will consider the detail of a OL and CIG.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Registered

by sealing the compartment it allows condensation to form thus making corrotion a worse problem. Keeping it open allows air to move freely around the wires.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Registered

Run the boat when done, you'll love it.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Registered

The hull is definately sweet! Don't forget you have an advantage over most- You get to do the rigging yourself. Good luck with the new ride!

Quick Reply: Exposed Wiring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.