Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Air conditioning install on 38 need help! >

Air conditioning install on 38 need help!

Notices

Air conditioning install on 38 need help!

Old 12-13-2017, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
But it sure is nice when you're back at the dock, mixing drinks in the cabin with the AC on - when it's like 98* in the shade! lol
Agreed! I’m ready for it! 15 degrees where I was at this morning.

Sharp boat. Best looking blue on the water.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:51 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might get alot of passerby's thinking they will save the sinking boat with the constant running bilge pump, by jumping on board and opening up the engine hatch expecting to see a lot of water.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Registered

I hope US1 approves! This was all from his install. Thanks for the ideas. Shore power wiring is done. I’ll finish mounting the panel and AC switches tomorrow. AC is over half way installed. This has turned out to be a big project!

Old 02-17-2018, 07:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Saaaaweeeeet! Sure those aren't my pics of my install?
Old 02-17-2018, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Haha. I went with only one vent.
Your ideas were better than mine!
Now for the vented sink door. I bought a register and plan on cutting a hole out for it but I like yours better. If you are interested in replicating yours, I’ll pay you for your time.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

I really have no ambition to spend any more time at work than my 40 hrs anymore. Sorry. Are you sure that 1 vent is enough for the AC? You don’t want to restrict air flow to much if possible. Could either freeze up or be noisey. Easy enough to add that 2nd vent if needed. I ran the largest flex duct that would fit up to a Tee that split to both vents vs a smaller hose feeding 1 vent.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-19-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Registered

I really have no ambition to spend any more time at work than my 40 hrs anymore. Sorry. Are you sure that 1 vent is enough for the AC? You don’t want to restrict air flow to much if possible. Could either freeze up or be noisey. Easy enough to add that 2nd vent if needed. I ran the largest flex duct that would fit up to a Tee that split to both vents vs a smaller hose feeding 1 vent.
Hey I 100% understand. You have helped me already more than you know with the information shared. I didn’t think about that so if I have that problem, I’ll know what to do. With the limited room my 27 had, it was mounted where the portipotty was so no duct work was installed.

I think I’ll be okay. Thinking about it, the affecting factors of pressure difference is the resistance along the length of the tubing (3’ max) and the vent it’s self. The diameter of the tubing and vent is 4”, the same as the blower outlet. The 2nd vent would defiantly help out with this resistance. This project will be trial and error for a while (just like any boat project). When it’s complete, I’ll test it out in my driveway for a few hours. I’ll use my winterizing bucket to gravity feed the pump with water.

My wife and son have never slept in this boat or the 27. I do every year for the lake Cumberland poker run. I mentioned the only day about trying the AC out one weekend and she gave me a funny look. This is a big project if I only get to use it once a year lol.

At least the shore power gives my battery charger a clean install.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

It wont take long at all for the water temp to get heated up if you are just recycling it from a bucket. What are you doing about the condensation drain? I used the Mermaid Condensator. That thing is the bomb. Even copied and improved on it (less parts) and made a few for myself and a couple buddies. (Sorry, dont have any of those left either) Mermaid is really proud of them! $$$ But like the water pressure valve from Merc, once you have and use it, you'll forget all about the high cost of it.
Put up some pics of the AC install when you get a chance. Glad to have been some help.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 PM
Registered

It wont take long at all for the water temp to get heated up if you are just recycling it from a bucket. What are you doing about the condensation drain? I used the Mermaid Condensator. That thing is the bomb. Even copied and improved on it (less parts) and made a few for myself and a couple buddies. (Sorry, dont have any of those left either) Mermaid is really proud of them! $$$ But like the water pressure valve from Merc, once you have and use it, you'll forget all about the high cost of it.
Put up some pics of the AC install when you get a chance. Glad to have been some help.
I’ll divert the water to my pool so it won’t get warm. Might not be a good representation of lake water since it will be colder but I can make sure I don’t have any leaks or big issues.

The AC install might take a few more weeks. All my lines and wiring are ran. Still need the pickup for the pump. Probably do the same thruhull fitting on the side like yours. Will need to tidy everything up after. I have a different project to tend to so that will side track me.

For my condensation pan, it drains to my step. Same thing on my 27. If I see it’s an issue, I’ll look into your idea. My boat is garage kept and trailered everywhere so after my weekend trip, I get the water out with my son’s $2 water gun. All 3 of my fountains collected water under that step. You got lucky or must have done some work for yours not to.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:19 PM
Registered

Only thing left is my thru-hull fitting for my water inlet. I gravity fed water to the pump and ran my ac for a while in my garage. Works well so far.

I’m still probably going with the side thru-hull fitting like you did. Problem is, I don’t know the hull thickness. All my hoses and fittings are 1/2” so I plan on getting a 1/2” thru-hull fitting. The only one I’ve found to match my bilge outlet in that size is 2.5” long. Is that enough threads for the fitting nut and ball valve? I’m thinking no...

Quick Reply: Air conditioning install on 38 need help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.