Converted baja Owner . . >

Converted baja Owner . .

Notices

Converted baja Owner . .

Old 12-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go for a 32!

The family on here has alot to offer in advice.....I own a 32 with 572's....100+ MPH boat....it rides like it is on rails from 80 on up......I love the way it rides and handles. It is perfect for me and the battleaxe (I mean the wife)....if you can afford it, go with a 35 or bigger, but for me....I specifically wanted a 32..yea, it sits low in the rear but it looks great in the water and no issues with water in the bilge. Would be happy to send you pics if you like.....real sleeper with the big power under the hatch! Welcome to the family and take all of the advice you get in here with heart....lots and lots of experience with various size rides in here and they are all great people....uh...except for 99fever27.....stay away from him......he's into fat chicks!

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I believe the all new Fountain 32 is going to be introduced at the 2008 Miami Boat Show.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-12-2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: So as not to be construed as bashing.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a Sonic
Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45sonic
Buy a Sonic

Fountains have faster hulls... sorry..
Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Reggie
Go with the 35 if you can, had the 32, rough at LOTO.
The 35 rides great, and sits a lot better than a 32, had friend sink his to the bottom of the ocean, water in the back.
Good luck, and welcome to the 'Reggie side of life'
Ok so this "sinking" thing has us freaked out now about the 32's.. the price is within our budget for a 32 so the 35's might take another year or two of saving..

Might need to look to another step hull ride..

Fountain has the fastest hulls so not sure what to do now..
Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ikanscuba
Ok so this "sinking" thing has us freaked out now about the 32's.. the price is within our budget for a 32 so the 35's might take another year or two of saving..

Might need to look to another step hull ride..

Fountain has the fastest hulls so not sure what to do now..
I didn't mean to scare you away, I just wanted to inform you. I had my 32 for 3 years, put 100 trouble free hours on her, and really enjoyed the boat. I had a 27 fever before that, so it was a huge change in ride.
If the 32 is in the budget, get it, enjoy it, then, and if you want you can trade for a 35.
I'm ready for a 42, but it's not in the budget for a few more years........
Old 12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ikanscuba
Ok we have got rid of our 29 outlaw, twin 496 mags.. I realize if I want to go faster its better to go with a builder with faster hulls..

Now I dont have deep pockets and I have found quite a few
32's that "advetised" 80 MPH.. Looking to run mid 90's..

A - how does the 32 handles at 90+
B - Size compared to our 29 outlaw? same size? shorter?
C - How would a 32 ride in rough water compared to a 29 outlaw? We are LOTO boaters and the water there is sloppy to say the least every weekend...

Thanks!!
Two Founains ago, I purchased a 93 - 32' w/ 502s. Never had any of these issues for the three years I owned it. Did not take on any water even with the bow on the beach. Ran 72-73 best I remember. The last year I had it, re-built 502s to 540s, boat ran 88 and was fine, but had to add hydraulic steering.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I've have a 2000- 29' Fountain with Twin 350 Mag small blocks for six years and have never experienced anything listed here and we've boated at LOTO since I bought it.

The rear is low to the water but never low enough to allow water to enter into the bilge.

They just make it a little interesting when tying up to other boats or at a dock when backing in.

You have to make sure the fenders protect it from slipping under some docks at the bars and restaurants.

Mine has been a great boat with no problems other than changing a couple raw water pumps and normal maintenance and will run right at 70 mph with stock power and is pretty easy on the fuel bill...
Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sydwayz, don't take anything I say personal or as defensive. I'm here for a good time, just as you. Just making conversation and trying to clear up some misconception. Don't want anyone to think it's a 32, it's going to sink. I appreciate your researching effort. I, with others keep hearing how they sink, but see no proof. 1 or 2 sinkings doesn't worry me. Hell, I see more Fountains in the trees than the number of them sinking. But who wants to be the 1 that did loose one? Not me.

Now heres my experince with the water in the bilges.
1st concern:
As in one of the links you posted, Fountain fails to seal the hull/deck joint 100% along the swim platform. Both my boats took on water there, along with a few others I have seen. A couple hrs and a tube of 5200 fixes this problem. We should not have to do this! Because the way the 29's and 32;'s sit in the water, it can be a big problem. My 32's pumps would cycle every several minutes, if I recall correctly. Been a few yrs. Enough of a problem that it was the 1st thing I addressed when I bought my boat. I hate water in the bilge.

2nd concern, rear blower vent tubes

These are not holes that are just above the water line.
They are openings, with tubes sealed to the openings on the inside. The tubes angle up wards right along the underneath side of the gunwall and extend abit forward. For water to pour out the end of those tubes and into the bilge, the back of the hatch will be under water. Probably a good 1 1/2' above water line. Then there's the blower flex hose attached to the end of the tubes. Just regular bouncing up down in the water won't push water up high enough to cause a problem. A rush of water coming up the back can cause water to enter, but it's not much. Any water to make it's way inside, will be pumped out by the 2 pumps. They will pump out the water faster than what can enter thru there. I had made some tips with flappers because I thought that was a conscern at 1st, but I know it isn't as much as I originally thought. Anything to possibly prevent any water issues, even better.

3rd, water over the hatch.
The hatch has a seal between the bottom and the deck. If water is getting past there, the seal is gone. The deck has a step under the hatch that works like a deflector. Again, it's not a straight shot into the bilge.

My boat does not get 1 single drop of water in the bilge now, period. Have had enough people sitting on the back to where their feet are in the water with an occasional wave splashing up on the hatch. The boat simply rolls with the waves.
I had it on Cumberland last yr for the poker run, as a spectator from the side lines. I think we all know how rough the water is then. I will say never had it on LOTO. During the PR. I had the rear facing out with 3-4 of us sitting on the hatch. Some of those waves soaked the hatch pad. Again, never a drop inside. I was actually surprised at that.

I can see if one was anchored from the back, in current or big waves and people sitting on the hatch to cause it to go down if they don't noticed the pumps are kicking on and the back is getting lower and lower. Not paying attention, and/or inoperative pumps.

Is it the good design. Not at all. Is it as bad as percieved. No.
Just a little owner observation goes a long way. The deck joint is more of an issue than anything else... in my opinion.

Now, a boat such as yours can sink too. Just takes a much larger wave and the right conditions.

Hopefully this novel sheds some light to the water in the bilge, sinking for an prospective buyers.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-11-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Registered

Get the 35 - you are eventually going to do it anyway so do it now so you dont have to pay the depreciation on the 32. 35s are going so cheap that you might find one that is free to a good home with loving family. Im Still looking for that Skater..........

Quick Reply: Converted baja Owner . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.