Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Converted baja Owner . . >

Converted baja Owner . .

Notices

Converted baja Owner . .

Old 12-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like a 35 is the way to go. I really want a step hull, from what I have seen to go to a 35 and stay within my budget I would have to go old and prob wouldnt be step hull. Looking to stay around 60k max. have about 25k to put down so it would keep my payment liw enough I could keep gas in her..

Still keep going back to the 32. have seen alot of nice looking boats with 500hp or bigger within the $$ range.

I have been looking at pics of them in the water with the HUGE vent holes sitting about 4 inches from the water line.. still has me a bit spooked.

I keep hearing about the deck leaking water due to poor joining, is this BS?

Also someone said the 32 would be comparable in ride to our 29 outlaw.. I really need toget to LOTO and find one to drive on a big weekend.

Thanks again for all your responses!
Old 12-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ikanscuba

I have been looking at pics of them in the water with the HUGE vent holes sitting about 4 inches from the water line.. still has me a bit spooked.

Again, those ain't holes. They are openings with tubes that go upwards and forwards. There is no way a 32 will sink by all the water possiblely entering there. Waves aren't constant. IF all of water possible does make it thru and into the bilge, the 2 pumps are more than enough to pump it out before the next rush of water comes in. ONLY way for a constant flow of water to come thru those vents, is if the hatch is under water.
I have seen the newer Fountains use a cover over the openings that is slotted. Don't have a pic, maybe some can post one, but just the slotted cover is enough to break the on rush of water and keep all water from going up into the tubes. Looks like an oval register cover.

The couple if 'reported' 32's that sunk did so because of owner/operator ....error/inexperience. If you can't see water constantly coming up over the hatch, or see that the pumps are running, then maybe another hobby is needed, such as needlepoint.

Yes the rubrail can be a problem. But as I said before, it is a 1 hr fix. The hull/deck joint is FG'ed from the inside of the boat all the way around the boat, except right at the swim platform because it is simply unexcessable. At that point, Fountain seals the joint with a sealer from the outside befroe installing the rubrail. My experience has been they don't do a very good job. 1 hr of your time. It's fixed. It's more evident on the 29's and 32's because they sit so low.

Also, in case you haven't been keeeping up, I do not get so much 1 single drop of water in my 32's bilge now that I have resealed the rubrail. Not a drop, dry, nothing, zilch. Your spit has more moisture than my bilge.

Don't cross off a 32 if that fits your requirements best because of a couple issues that can be fixed for next to nothing.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ikanscuba
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like a 35 is the way to go. I really want a step hull, from what I have seen to go to a 35 and stay within my budget I would have to go old and prob wouldnt be step hull. Looking to stay around 60k max. have about 25k to put down so it would keep my payment liw enough I could keep gas in her..

Still keep going back to the 32. have seen alot of nice looking boats with 500hp or bigger within the $$ range.

Also someone said the 32 would be comparable in ride to our 29 outlaw.. I really need toget to LOTO and find one to drive on a big weekend.

Like I said, I had mine for 100 hrs. always at LOTO, and never had any water in her.
But I did what you're thinking about. I got a bigger boat, with more power, but it was older than my 32, and I have never been sorry for the trade I did.
Good luck
Old 12-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=ikanscuba;2372725]Thanks for all the input. Sounds like a 35 is the way to go. I really want a step hull, from what I have seen to go to a 35 and stay within my budget I would have to go old and prob wouldnt be step hull. Looking to stay around 60k max. have about 25k to put down so it would keep my payment liw enough I could keep gas in her..

Saw a 35 in that price range on ebay that had newer power. Saw it on OSO also ad # 18176. Stepped hull 35. Oops, looking back at your speed requirement, this boat won't get er done for you without different power.

Last edited by heavyhauler; 12-15-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by monstaaa
i can say i agree to that in some cases,,,,.

but please,,,,,,,,,,,pleeeeeeaaassssssee tell me that doesnt apply to women as well!!!
I don't know... early 90's vintage is going to be legal, starting in less than a month! (birth date, not age!)

Although, ain't nothing wrong with a cougar!

Just don't let my girlfriend know I said either of those things...