42 Lightning (Ebay) >

42 Lightning (Ebay)

Notices

42 Lightning (Ebay)

Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42 Lightning (Ebay)

Anyone familiar with this particular boat?

I'm starting to get down into the real world in my search. I came across this boat and had some questions from the people in the "know".
I've contacted the seller with some of these questions, but figured I would ask the gurus here also.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...180983183&rd=1

1) The pics of the engine compartment........ Not sure what to say about it, why would it be SO dirty?
2) The engine compartment rigging also appears to be a hot mess, thoughts on the process involved in cleaning that up?
3)Recent Re-power: Where 502's black back in the Early 90's? They look about identical my '88 454's?
4) 502/Bravo 1's pushing a 42' boat, is this a delicate set-up, or one that can last a while if taken easy.
4) Non-stepped hull, I know there have been huge strides in design since then, would one be buying something that is going to be harder and harder to sell in the future?
5) Price. This seems to be a fairly reasonably priced boat, without a trailer I will looking to high and dry it, which will cost a small fortune where it is currently kept (or where I assume it is). Do a lot of people trailer boats this size? I would be interested in doing so for multitude of reasons.

I'm not your average ocean going hot rodder, I am more looking for something that we can overnight on a little more comfortably, run out to get some lunch at local restaurants, raft up, etc. Basically, things we do on our current boat, just with more room and style.
I generally take it easy, not in a huge hurry to get anywhere or necessarily show off. (lame, I know)

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you guys can provide.

Phil
Old 12-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

your so lucky your both in Maryland........you should go check it out.......go for a ride if possible

if being the fastest guy out there isnt your biggest concern a non step Fountain is a great choice

as far as the dirt the motors probably leak oil but the bilge coat Fountain used in that era was notoriously bad and pourous and seemed to suck in and hold any oil that ever hit it at any time in its life......bet way to fix it is pull the motors and re do with modern stuff like bilgecoat

as far as the wiring looking messy I assume your talking about the jumble of wires showing in the back left corner of the bilge opening.......thats the main wire harness showing......Fountain used heavy nylon ty wraps in that era to hold the harness up under the deck and they dry out and break and let the harness fall down where you can see it.......more than likely you replace the ty wraps and pull the harness back up out of sight

same old same old with the rest of it.......ask for bills to prove everything stated otherwise assume it hasnt been done and bid accordingly.......ask for a complete hull survey with moisture readings and hull soundings......not just a "walk around" survey I know my insurance co wont touch a boat that old without one.......doug

oh and people trailer 42s all the time usaually with a dually

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 12-30-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Registered

What are you looking to spend for an almost mint, turn key, needs nothing 1993 42 that does 90+mph on a new trailer?

Last edited by Back4More; 12-31-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fiberglass fairing is cool. Get it cheap and it looks like it could be a nice older boat.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Back4More
What are you looking to spend for an almost mint, turn key, needs nothing 1993 42 that does 90+mph on a new trailer?
Well, that is kind of a trick question. I'm looking to spend as little as possible of course

I have the slight issue of getting rid of my current boat here, market is pretty much crap at this point, so I am in the same situation as most as far as that goes.......

What range (ball park) are you thinking (just wondering)

What power/drives to push that speed??

Last edited by PJDiesel; 12-31-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
..... Get it cheap........
What would you consider cheap? I am really looking to spend a little less that what his starting bid is/was.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way that boat does 76 with those engines in it. We have a 38' (same hull) with those engines in it and it is lucky to se the 60" on a good day.

You would need at least 600 hp a side to see the 70's with that boat. We also have a 42 triple that is the same hull and it has triple 650hp engines in it and it has seen 88 one time. It might get into the 90's with bigger props.

Use thaose number for reference.

Also, if that is the original exhaust and it is going on 15 years old, get ready to fork out for that.

Chances are he blew the old engines because of a leaky manifold after he spent all of that money making it look pretty.

Just my.02

By it as cheap as possible. I would say that his opening bid is all of the money for that boat with those little engines in it. It's pretty, but look out. Go drive the piss out of it before you think about buying it or getting a survey.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Registered

Thanks Jeff, some of what you are saying was what I was thinking. His motors (if those are the current ones) are an embarrassment to the boat. When I hear "new" 502's for some reason I envision the NEW ones with the large plastic covers, modern style spark arrestors and maybe something other than those manifolds.

Dunno, I contacted the guy with some questions, he got back to me with most of the answers, told me to call him. I am really close to boat itself (-10 minutes) I am definitely going to try to take a look . If it is in as good of shape (minus motors and engine compartment) It seems to be a decent deal considering it comes with a trailer and all. Opening bid is about my price range at this point, which may or probably may NOT work for him anyway.

Hey, thanks for all the tips! Anyone else have any thought, questions, concerns?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered

I hear the b1s are a little lite on stamina on that size boat.
I would do a search on that subject, see what you find.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Be sure to get a history on the drives and their service. If they haven't had a thorough service recently, including disassembly and inspection I would be very careful. Also when was all of the rubber on the transom replaced, boots, bellows, hoses etc. If this stuff isn't up to date, and by that I mean within the last 2 years you could spend $5K or more on the service for the drives and rubber, alot more of there is anything going south inside the drives.

Last year I bought my 35 with 190 hours on it. Looked like new, ran like new. I spent $8K getting everything up to snuff and there really wasn't any major problems. But now I know where I am at.

That looks like a very nice boat, just do your homework.
You will love the ride and handling of a Fountain, plus you do get the looks from everyone.
David

Quick Reply: 42 Lightning (Ebay)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.