42 #6 with razor blades need latter

Notices

42 #6 with razor blades need latter

Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Worthing
Install a pair of grab handles. This really has worked well. All you do is grab the handle, place your foot on the trim tab and pull yourself onto the back of the boat.
I got to ask......isnt that a Bravo drive boat? Why dont you just use the swim ladder? Are you running extension boxes that prevent the ladder from lowering past the drives. Just curious. If given the choice, I would rather climb the ladder, than step on the trim tab, which we currently have to do. We leave a line on the stern cleat with a loop and use it as a handle to pull ourselves after stepping on the tab.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
I got to ask......isnt that a Bravo drive boat? Why dont you just use the swim ladder? Are you running extension boxes that prevent the ladder from lowering past the drives. Just curious. If given the choice, I would rather climb the ladder, than step on the trim tab, which we currently have to do. We leave a line on the stern cleat with a loop and use it as a handle to pull ourselves after stepping on the tab.
You got pics
Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by John Worthing
I ordered them from Robert in the Parts Dept at Fountain. I can't remember the size, feel free to ask Robert to pull my order and ask him to give you the specs. It was a stock size that they use all the time. I would measure but the boat is in storage two hours from home. This fix also works great for grabbing the boat while getting dropped of by a bouy boat and such.
Was there room in the engine compartment to bolt up from the underside?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
What about prop covers? Seems I've seen someone's add that was aimed at exactly this. Prop Skins or something like that. PIA to deal with but less hassle than an afternoon in the ER. Or the extended platform they put on that P1 42 with the surface drives.

Just did some looking and it's Propskin @ www.propskin.com. They are made from a neoprene and do show being used in the water. Have a rust proof zipper and all, and have contact info for custom logos!
I couldn't tell how big they were, but it didn't look like it would go around a 17" prop and even if it did I am pretty sure that mine would punch right through if someone stepped on it or hit it very hard. Neoprene wouldn't protect much. I know Herring prop bags might work. I have threatened to put my bags on my props but I didn't think they would float.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastlvr
I couldn't tell how big they were, but it didn't look like it would go around a 17" prop and even if it did I am pretty sure that mine would punch right through if someone stepped on it or hit it very hard. Neoprene wouldn't protect much. I know Herring prop bags might work. I have threatened to put my bags on my props but I didn't think they would float.

I understand the pointed end of an offshore clever style prop, and agree that the neoprene would not win that battle. In my mind if these were done with some bright color or had a flashy logo they would serve as a warning and draw attention to the fact that it would be best to steer clear. I would think in most cases that would be the intention, make a reasonable attempt to draw attention and offer some degree of protection. Plus they're pretty cheap, a set or two per year, still not much money.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

To me the drives are not the issue, I have a pair of labbed props on the boat that are very sharp. With the drives trimmed all the way up for shallow water situations, the ladder rungs are very close to the props. Besides the ladder is a pain in the ass! By using the handles the persons feet never get near the props. BTW the tabs are pretty strong, I would be more worried about someone slipping on a ladder rung and wedging their foot between a pair of props.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

The install on the handles was very easy, plenty of room to get the nuts on the handle bolts. Used nylocks and fender washers.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Registered

I just do not let people on / off my boat. Way too dangerous. Probably why so many manuracturers are going with bustles.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Asked about this issue at the Herring booth at Miami show. They have been working on some type of cover like the propskin product.

Would be great to see a neoprene cover with a kevlar reinforced ring over the prop blade corner area to spread impacts.

Contact Herring to let them know this is a needed product.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I still say the safest way for drunk chicks to get back on board would be over the side.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.