38 v 42 Lightning

Notices

38 v 42 Lightning

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BZ
Once you drive the 42 you will KNOW the difference!!!!!
Matthew Smith set me up with a ride in a 42 with 525's and that is what got me looking at Fountains. I went thru a 52 Sea Ray's wake and never let off the sticks and the boat stayed planted.

Originally Posted by custom29scarab
eddie check your pm's.
I don't have one from you?!

Originally Posted by voice of the shoot out
Dude, Trust me when I say for saturdays at the lake on the 4th weekend you want a 42, not a 35 or a 38, a 42.
I was told about a deal on a 38 and didn't know what the differences were. The 38 is a 2003 with 35.4 hours on 500 EFI's with a Myco trailer. I was thinking it might get me by for a few years until I could swing a 42 with 700's. No water yet in our cove, but I planned on being on a trailer some of the year.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Eddie...check this out......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q36ZB5URul4
Old 04-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an '05 42 EX with 525's and never regret the bigger boat. It makes my wife happy with the ride, I never have to worry about water conditions and it will run comfortably in the low to mid 80's. We run on Lake Travis a couple times a year, I have been to LOTO years ago with a smaller boat and Travis is very similar in water conditions. The 42' is awesome. Handles all of the cruiser boat rollers with no problems. There is no substitute for length, weight, and horsepower.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BZ

Wow

What kind of water were you running in?

Originally Posted by gerritm
It makes my wife happy with the ride
That's what it's all about, if mama's not happy. . . . .
Old 04-27-2010, 01:49 PM
BZ
Registered

Wow

What kind of water were you running in?

That's Lake Michigan on April 2...solid 4-5's and we had FUN on the ride home!!!!!!!

PS...that boat has been to LOTO tons of times on holiday week-ends and I disagree I run from say the Salty Dog all the way to say Frankie and Louie's with the hammer down all the time...LOL there is some guy with a 38ft Elimatior V that "tried" to keep up well.....................

Last edited by BZ; 04-27-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I bought an '05 42 EX with 525's and never regret the bigger boat. It makes my wife happy with the ride, I never have to worry about water conditions and it will run comfortably in the low to mid 80's. We run on Lake Travis a couple times a year, I have been to LOTO years ago with a smaller boat and Travis is very similar in water conditions. The 42' is awesome. Handles all of the cruiser boat rollers with no problems. There is no substitute for length, weight, and horsepower.
Have you ever had drive issues, seems like a lot of boat for bravos.

But I want one!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Have you ever had drive issues, seems like a lot of boat for bravos.

But I want one!
I have XR's. Yes, gone thru upper gears in both within about 150 hours. Long story, but not sure if it is the drives or who I bought the boat from. There may have been more hours and abuse to the drives than the actual hours shown. I do tend to drive the boat fairly hard and since gas has gone up along with my repair bills I have backed off quite a bit. Tabs down, drives in, easy on the throttle, and it comes right up on plane, the nose never comes up, and then bend the sticks. I have labbed 5 blade Maximus props. I run with several other 42's in the same age, engines, drives, and hour range and they have not had any problems.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I have XR's. Yes, gone thru upper gears in both within about 150 hours. Long story, but not sure if it is the drives or who I bought the boat from. There may have been more hours and abuse to the drives than the actual hours shown. I do tend to drive the boat fairly hard and since gas has gone up along with my repair bills I have backed off quite a bit. Tabs down, drives in, easy on the throttle, and it comes right up on plane, the nose never comes up, and then bend the sticks. I have labbed 5 blade Maximus props. I run with several other 42's in the same age, engines, drives, and hour range and they have not had any problems.
Thanks,
Good info, I asume you are running offshore?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BZ

Where did you launch that day?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 PM
BZ
Registered

Originally Posted by pookie
Where did you launch that day?
East Chicago Ind.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.