Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
29 fountain fuel consumption >

29 fountain fuel consumption

Notices

29 fountain fuel consumption

Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you save if you only run one motor at a time? also does anyone else have a problem with gas coming out of the filler neck and vent once you get past a half a tank when filling it at the gas pumps?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by rockin8402
do you save if you only run one motor at a time? also does anyone else have a problem with gas coming out of the filler neck and vent once you get past a half a tank when filling it at the gas pumps?
I don't ever run with just one motor, not even idling to the docks. As for the gas coming out the vent. Mine will if I try and fill it to quickly no matter what level the tank is at. If I go easy (pump handle not on max) I do not see any gas come out the vent until it is full and I try to listen to prevent that from happening. Once it sounds like I am close, that is it, I do not top my tanks off or fill to the "brim". The fuel will only wash overboard out the vent if I do once I get going.
I also run 93 all the time due to my superchargers. I am not sure what octane your motors need but if you can run 87 I would. That would save you some money.
WOT all the time gets old to me. It is nice to run with a bunch of boats and cruise at a nice fast speed like 65-75. You can always go WOT to get ahead or just stretch it out everynow and then. My boat tops out at about 86 mph GPS fully fueled and loaded with coolers and 6 people. I thought about putting my smaller pulleys on full time (7-8psi boost vs 3-4 psi I run now) but the ethanol in the gas scares me. Only 1 station near me to get regular gas from and I try and top the boat off with them but on the lake you get what you get.
You have a great boat, it will handle the chop and rough water well. Mine seems to handle the rougher water better at high speeds and better than any other boat I have had. It is like on rails. It will defintely be a night and day difference from the 22 Scarab you have. I used to have a Baja Hammer (same deadrise) and although a fun boat it did not handle the rough water well at all.
The other thing you have to remember is you will need considerably much more hp to get the same speeds that twins will produce. That would pretty much negate any fuel savings you had in mind right there. Not to mention the single will be working harder than the twins as well. I do not think that twins cost 2x as much to run as a comparible single. Depending on how you boat and in my case I would say I use about 1.3 times the amount of fuel as I would if I were to say have a 700-800hp single vs the 2 575-600hp motors I have right now. I am going to look at putting some -2 inch shorties on mine this winter and from what I have heard from others I could expect as much as a 7-9mph gain on the top end due to decreased drag.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

not to be a jack but you went from a single 22ft to a 29ft boat with juice up twins and you didn't think fuel was going to cost a lot more? You not only have twice the hp but probably twice the weight.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gas is the cheapest part.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

My 454 Mags have had a little work done on them but nothing wild. We hooked up the computer and it burns 54 gal/hr per SIDE at WOT. Needless to say, that does not happen often and in short bursts.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My twin 502's get around 2 miles per gallon at cruise, running WOT I figure gets less than 2 hours run time on 130 gallons, based on some poker runs.

Last edited by hotjava66; 10-11-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

if you only used around 100 gal. over 3 days , that sounds pretty good, i know i will us more , and i don't run wot very often.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i would agree 100gal in three days in just about any boat is pretty good.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Registered

i would have to agree. I only run one screw and 60 gallons in 3 days is pretty damn easy if you are running hard. IF i backed off and just cruised for three days (which never happens or I would own a 4.3 Mercruiser in a 19 ft Regal) i might be ale to make it 45.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FISHIN SUCKS
On a run we do every year down on Lake Cumberland, approximately 92 miles round trip, Our '02 28ZX with twin 350 mags on that run burned 33 gallons
tom
almost 3mpg in a twin engine 28ft boat on a poker run is friggin amazing!!
Im happy if I get 1mpg on a poker run!
Thats one efficient boat!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.