Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Rubrail replacement project/questions. >

Rubrail replacement project/questions.

Notices

Rubrail replacement project/questions.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Rubrail replacement project/questions.

Yeah well I do things every year to the old lad to keep it up...this year its the dash and the rubrail.....couple of questions on this.....

Heres a pic with the old rubrail removed....every place there is a piece of black elect tape there was a rubrail screw.....what are all the other holes??????......you can see my pocket screw driver pushes right in without resistance at all these holes were not sealed.....there is approx 200 of these holes all around the boat....anyone know what these are for???....I am 99% sure the rubrail is the original black piece.....I think I will countersink all of these a bit and fill them with 5200....I wash the thing all the time...no wonder it always seems damp
Attached Thumbnails Rubrail replacement project/questions.-boats-001-large-.jpg   Rubrail replacement project/questions.-boats-003-large-.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Registered

you can see the deck is screwed and riveted to the hull......good solid method!
Attached Thumbnails Rubrail replacement project/questions.-boats-005-large-.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Registered

Heres around back still lots of unsealed holes......every place theres tape and a marker thats where a rubrail screw was......
Attached Thumbnails Rubrail replacement project/questions.-boats-007-large-.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Heres around back still lots of unsealed holes......every place theres tape and a marker thats where a rubrail screw was......
cuttin back on the weight
Old 10-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Registered

These shots are looking up at the swim platform/hull joint.....you can see what Jerry/US1 has been talking about all these years.....you can see the sealant has shrunk and in some places completly exposed the hull deck joint....along with the other unsealed holes its no wonder there is always water in my bilge...almost every time I come off plane water washes over the rubrail and swim platform.....I'll clean it all out and more 5200.
Attached Thumbnails Rubrail replacement project/questions.-boats-010-large-.jpg   Rubrail replacement project/questions.-boats-013-large-.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got me, unless the rubrail isn't original and those are the old holes.

I agree, fill those holes up with 5200. Also might hit the rubrail screws as you put it back on just to make sure they are sealed good.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Not sure on what rubrail you will go with but the advice I got was dont do it in the middle of winter... The seams do shrink & expand depending on ambient temperature. It was suggested to do in 70+ degrees...
2cents
Jr,
Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Got me, unless the rubrail isn't original and those are the old holes.

I agree, fill those holes up with 5200. Also might hit the rubrail screws as you put it back on just to make sure they are sealed good.
doesnt appear to be an old rubrail, in lots of places there is two holes right beside each other......one guy suggested theyre holes so they could pull the boat out of the mold....
Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Not sure on what rubrail you will go with but the advice I got was dont do it in the middle of winter... The seams do shrink & expand depending on ambient temperature. It was suggested to do in 70+ degrees...
2cents
Jr,
yeah I know thats why I want to get at it.....at this time of year I can put the heat on and get the temp up in the shop to 70 plus for a few days.....
Old 10-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could the deck been taken off and they just drilled new holes to rivet? Or the first holes drilled were not low enough to grab enough of the hull? Just throwing ideas out. As US1 said probably old rub rail holes.

Last edited by whoya; 10-14-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.