I wanna put in a TV >

I wanna put in a TV

Notices

I wanna put in a TV

Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wanna put in a TV

So I want to put a tv down in my cuddy to just watch movies on etc... How did you guys that have done this power the tv..? do they make a 12 volt television..? or did you go with a inverter of some sort..? I also was looking for one with a built in DVD player..? any ideas would be great.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a small 9" TV that is both AC 110V and 12V DC. You can purchase this size with a built-in DVD player (mine is an older VHS model) at just about any larger TV store. This option is portable which could be a bonus, or not. I use it in both the boat and in the camper.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had thought about doing that in my cabin for years. Just couldn't happen, and the thrashing around could be a problem. After all these years, they finally came out with the thing that worked well.

iPad.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming you don't have a 120vac generator on-board, you have two choices, 1) a 120vac TV and use with a 12 volt inverter (make sure the wattage of the inverter is large enough to handle the wattage needs of the TV, or 2) some TV's accept 120vac and 12vdc... just run this type of TV directly from your your 12vdc wiring.

And since all US TV over-the-air signals are now digital, make sure the TV you select has a digital tuner built in, called ATSC (most modern sets have this). If you use an older TV that doesn't have a digital tuner built in, you will need to add an external digital converter box (Radio Shack has them).
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Registered

Im looking for a newer flat screen that I can mount. I didnt want to have to run a inverter but it looks like I will have to
Old 03-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naaaa, there's plenty of 12vdc flat screen TV's out there. Here's a few:

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt...ons-c-684.html

http://www.squidoo.com/12V-TV

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/t...tv-12-volt.htm
Old 03-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Registered

Cool thanks for the info I will look into these for sure
Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to the dept stores and look at the power cords. Many will have that black box in the line that converts the 120AC incoming to 12VDC outgoing. Just buy the right plug from Radio Shack to plug into the TV and wire direct to a 12v source.
As far as DVD use, is your head unit a CD only or can it play DVD's too? I installed a head unit that also played DVD's and used the V-Out and connected to the V-In on the TV. Made for a very clean 4 speaker permanent home theator system.
Just an option if you already have a DVD head unit.
Not sure I'd worry about digital or what not, unless you plan on connecting to a dish or so at the dock.

Ignore the V-out and A-in jacks, those were for the pre- TV permanent install. Used to just sit TV on counter and use the V-out jack as a quick connection point. A-in was used for easy connection point for MP players. Were removed shortly after the TV was mounted and all wiring was hardwired.

This install was some 5 yrs ago though. Haven't used a DVD for a couple yrs. Now all movies are played from my iPhone/itouch or DL'd from iTunes.
Attached Thumbnails I wanna put in a TV-p1010002-medium-.jpg   I wanna put in a TV-p1010010-large-.jpg   I wanna put in a TV-p1010029-medium-.jpg  

I wanna put in a TV-stereo-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-10-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered

How do you keep it from getting ripped off the wall in rough water?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can hang off mine. Not only was it mounted using the back mounting screws, but more importantly it fits tight within the box surround. The key is to mount it solid from the get go so it can't move at all, allowing it to keep working looser. I doubt the standard home wall mounts would work for long. A couple waves and you might break the back of the set out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.