Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Current/former 47 Lightning Owners...feedback??? >

Current/former 47 Lightning Owners...feedback???

Notices

Current/former 47 Lightning Owners...feedback???

Old 11-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Current/former 47 Lightning Owners...feedback???

I'm seriously looking at stepping up to a 47. I am only looking at 2005's and later (all with triples) and in fact, I'm close to a deal on a 2007. I think I've read just about every thread on this site on this topic but having said that, can any of you current or former 47 owners comment on the things to look out for? Things I'd want to hear about....

- what's the best thing about them?
- what's the worst thing about them?
- anyone really not like theirs and why?
- from what I've read, it seems that you have to be careful with trimming the center drive...at what settings do you run the risk of hiitting the other drives?
- with trips, I'm assuming the boat sits pretty low in the stern, any reversion issues with the back motors?

Thanks for reading... All feedback appreciated!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

had the chance to run one for a while when my friend was not using it! yes don't trim center drive alone, both outside drive will come toward center and hit together, specially when turning! Could cost a lot of dollars! had 525, no silent choice exhaust on center engine, wich cause problem in some marinas in my area. it was a 2006 and the transom was not sealed from factory at all from outside, so had to replace transom on a 5 years old boat!!! so check for this. need a good tow truck make sure brakes are in good working condition. one of the best boat I've rode in! cruises at 55-60 mph at 3500 rpm, tops at 86-90 mph.had the 4 bolster version, took the second row out for more cockpit space for kids, other wise it was so tight I could not fit a cooler in cockpit! ofne of the few ''speed boat'' you can stand up in cabin.. besides sonic, BT and... 38 special.

make sure you insurance cie does not ask you an arm and a leg for premium, and... get a good gas card!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks Jeff32. The boat I'm looking at is the 4 bolster version as well.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi HyFive 578,
I have a 47 Lightning myself.It is a long boat ,but small to be this size.
Cool boat,look out for wet transom and stringers.
Jan
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jan tunem
Hi HyFive 578,
I have a 47 Lightning myself.It is a long boat ,but small to be this size.
Cool boat,look out for wet transom and stringers.
Jan
Thanks Jan. You're the second person to mention issue with transom. Can you be more specific?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 257 Likes on 91 Posts

Yeah the 47s are cool boats! Enjoy your search.

Know of a 2007 42 that just had a wet transom and stringers replaced. All the wood (even though fountain claimed the boats were not built with wood) was rotten. So yeah, no boat is perfect. Hope you find a nice one though!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Registered

My 97 transom is dry, just replaced all 3 swivel pins on bravo 1s and bilge should stay dry. I hate hitting the props together, 3 times now. I have a lot of shallow water around here and im always trimming up. I draws more water than anyone else. I will be making a limit switch comparitor for next year to prevent this from happening again.
Very comfy, love the air and genny, i like the old seats. Its nice to sit facing others on the bench at the dock. Im going to put a table in the middle. Waste tank is small. Ditch the y pipes and silent choice. It prevents access to bolts that hold driveshaft extension bearing mount get mufflers instead..
Wish it had a anchor winch like cobalt..
Old 11-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by snapcracklepop
I hate hitting the props together, 3 times now. I have a lot of shallow water around here and im always trimming up.
We have a lot of shallow water where we are as well. What do you do to avoid hitting the props? I thought that was more of a problem if you don't trim them all at the same time?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Registered

The center drive is lower and when trying to navigate in shallow water you tend to raise the center drive more so that you still have propulsion. If you raise the center drive too much it pulls the outer drives into the center one.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jeff32
make sure you insurance cie does not ask you an arm and a leg for premium, and... get a good gas card!
Well.. the insurance company has asked for both arms and both legs... not sure there's much I can do about that....other than not insure it or not buy the boat...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.