Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Anyone know what exact zinc anode goes on the trim tab bracket? >

Anyone know what exact zinc anode goes on the trim tab bracket?

Notices

Anyone know what exact zinc anode goes on the trim tab bracket?

Old 04-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone know what exact zinc anode goes on the trim tab bracket?

I have a 2000 fountain fever 29 and I'm replacing the zincs on the trim tab bracket. It seems like most boating stores give you a Martyr CMR-1 which looks like it is the right one and seems like a standard on trim tab brackets, but when I go to screw the zinc onto the threaded rod that comes out of the bracket, the thread size on the zinc is too small. I know this is a stupid question but it's annoying. Thanks
Old 04-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RuninaFever
I have a 2000 fountain fever 29 and I'm replacing the zincs on the trim tab bracket. It seems like most boating stores give you a Martyr CMR-1 which looks like it is the right one and seems like a standard on trim tab brackets, but when I go to screw the zinc onto the threaded rod that comes out of the bracket, the thread size on the zinc is too small. I know this is a stupid question but it's annoying. Thanks
This is the anode that goes on K-plane bracket on the transom.

http://www.boatzincs.com/MER847266.html

The zinc does not thread onto the bolt coming out of the bracket; it is held on by a 10-32 nylock nut.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HyFive578
This is the anode that goes on K-plane bracket on the transom.

http://www.boatzincs.com/MER847266.html

The zinc does not thread onto the bolt coming out of the bracket; it is held on by a 10-32 nylock nut.
That makes sense, thank you!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to replace mine also. The old ones are corroded on and I cant get them off.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by monster693
Trying to replace mine also. The old ones are corroded on and I cant get them off.
These zincs are pretty thin and generally pretty brittle. There are a few things you can do to finesse them off. First, take a thin flat blade screwdriver and gently tap it under the zinc around the perimeter to loosen it up. Be careful not to bend upwards to much to avoid bending the lug they are attached to; its only a #10-32 machine screw and will bend easily under too much pressure. Once loosened, attach a vise grips around the edges and turn counter clockwise; this should turn the anode outward if its corroded onto the lug, the thread will naturally turn into the soft metal. Last resort, use a pliers to break the anode in half.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had one heck of a time getting the cavitation plate anode off (Bravo 3). Our boat is 100% fresh water and it was a lot harder than I would have expected. What I did was just spray some WD-40 on the bolt and let it sit a couple of days - Finally got it off. Replaced all the anodes with Magnesium.

3pointstar
Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went thru this, a good dose of pb blaster and a day or two of soaking helped a lot. After that some patient prying. I modified the martyr zincs to work , I think the merc replacements are aluminum, no good if you are boating in salt water.