Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Rotten transom >

Rotten transom

Notices

Rotten transom

Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 619 Likes on 249 Posts

I don't understand why all these boatbuilders don't run a router around all their cut outs . Router out the plywood core a 1/4 inch back from the holes and fill the void with thickened epoxy..

An hours worth of work would save a lifetime of headaches.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ what he said!! It's crazy to me there wasn't any effort put in to make anything water tight. Pretty sure my 29 sold for 100k back when new in 01, and I can't even imagine what jeff32's 47 with triples went for new, with having the transom rotted out in 4 years.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy making $12-15 an hour building that boat does not give two f**ks. All he cares about is when he can get out for another smoke break.

It's unfortunate but it has been proven, time and time again, and I speak from experience as a jamoche that had to replace a transom from lack of sealing cutouts...

Originally Posted by tommymonza
I don't understand why all these boatbuilders don't run a router around all their cut outs . Router out the plywood core a 1/4 inch back from the holes and fill the void with thickened epoxy..

An hours worth of work would save a lifetime of headaches.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:32 PM
Registered

Well, more bad news. More rot was found in stringers and the bulk head. At this point should I be nervous there is even more damage farther forward? Say under the cockpit floor towards the front bulk head into the cabin? I can only imagine the labor involved to just get to the work. Very discouraging.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 375 Likes on 252 Posts

Summer is here! Do what is easily reachable now, and keep the rest as winter project! Unless it is really unsafe
Old 06-14-2016, 04:33 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Do you have any pictures? If you email, I can post them. [email protected].
Old 06-14-2016, 05:35 AM
Registered

I've got a couple pictures of test holes he had drilled in the stringers and 1 of the bulk head showing wet, rotting wood. I will know more in a couple days when they get the bulk head opened up, I'm sure I'll get more pictures. I wish I was closer, I would go check everything out for myself just to see it, but the boat is 3 hours away.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Fever01
Well, more bad news. More rot was found in stringers and the bulk head. At this point should I be nervous there is even more damage farther forward? Say under the cockpit floor towards the front bulk head into the cabin? I can only imagine the labor involved to just get to the work. Very discouraging.
That sucks but not much you can do but keep going. I know of a couple fountains which had transom issues. One needed stringers, and the other did not. The additional stringer work was 800.00. Sucks, but it isn't the end of the world. I do not have much experience with the bulkhead. If you rip all that out, I'd sure replace all the rubber hoses for your fuel tank. That would suck to have it out, put it back together, then drill holes in new glass for some stupid hose.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I had the bulkhead and both outer stringers replaced on my 12 meter, fortunately the transom and inner stringers were solid. Be very careful with the placement/positioning of the holes for the motor mount after the repair as if you have sold mounts like I did there is absolutely no room for error!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

This is horrible I sure wish there was some sort of recourse for us all... Lynch mob with torches and pitchforks! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.