Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Unforgivably Poor Workmanship on my 38 EC >

Unforgivably Poor Workmanship on my 38 EC

Notices

Unforgivably Poor Workmanship on my 38 EC

Old 01-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here on my 32 fountain, exhaust tip was the problem. Need exhaust tips that have a flange on them to secure them to the boat, not just some sealant and a plastic beauty ring on the outside. The vibration alone will work on the sealant. Come on Fountain, really. By the way where I get my boat repairs done, two fountains there getting dissembled for new transoms, 38 and a 47. The 47 problem was the exhaust tips and 38 is not apart. Makes me think twice about another Fountain. Don't get me wrong I like my fountain now that its solid again, but when I sell this one, she most likely the last fountain for me.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Registered

Same here on my 32 Fountain, exhaust tips was the cause of the rotted transom. All fountain had to do was use a different style tip, Like one with a flange on it to fasten to the boat. Not like how they did with a bead of caulk and plastic beauty ring to had the sealant, if you was lucky one to get sealant. The marina in my area has two fountains in there right now for transom jobs. 38 and 47, and 47 is apart and same thing, exhaust tips. Really fountain. Don't get me wrong I like my fountain now that's solid again, but most likely to never buy a fountain again. I know it happens to other brands but fountain has to be winning the rotten transom race. lol.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Registered

By the way go on you tube and look at the video of the guys do the glass work, Those guys where saying as they are working on a $200,000. plus boat. F**k those white guys! Just my thought. LOL
Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Registered

Sorry about the double post, I thought the first one was lost.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Strange thing mine had the same issue but a friend with the same year and model (3 s/n'a differance) is solid as a rock.
There are other ways to seal, I have dry to tip so had to use sealer/ trim rings/ and a gasket. They will not leak.

All boats do have issues, the same shop that did mine has velocitys, fourmula's (at least not deck separation), Baja's etc. even a couple cigs.

Issue is production boat and the people building don't care. I do think we hear about fountain a lot because people love to hate and the number they produced. Other then Baja not sure anyone made as many.

I have always felt the older pre public company fountain boats were built better. It's weird some **** is good and some rigging I just scratch my head and wonder what they were thinking.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

They must have changed . Since i have owned my 1990, I've had to do work in several areas of the hull. I've had to enlarge exhaust holes, to accomodate 4.5" tailpipes, wood was dry as a bone. I've had to drill into stringers, to mount things like fuel filter heads, dry there as well. This past spring, had to drill into lower transom, to install water pickup for intercoolers, dry as a bone there as well. Boat is 26 years old.
Attached Thumbnails Unforgivably Poor Workmanship on my 38 EC-20160624_120803.jpg   Unforgivably Poor Workmanship on my 38 EC-20160624_135155.jpg   Unforgivably Poor Workmanship on my 38 EC-20160624_135204.jpg  

Unforgivably Poor Workmanship on my 38 EC-20160624_140646.jpg   Unforgivably Poor Workmanship on my 38 EC-20160624_154310.jpg  
Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Have we reached a 100 fountains on OSO yet that have reported non sealed exhaust tips that rotted the transom.....seems to be a few a month anyway.

Also Seems so odd that so many years and models and same damn exhaust tip deal.
unfortunately, I've seen that on Sunsations, Scarabs, Formulas, and Cigarettes. My buddy removed his exhaust tips from his 38 Cigarette, and found massive voids in the transom. Sunsations right from the factory without even paint on the wood where they cut the exhaust holes. I know the fiberglass shop local here, has done stringer, transom, bulkhead, and all sorts of hull repairs due to rot, on many different brands of offshore boats.

It does seem though, that some companies, improved their quality over the years, and some have declined.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
unfortunately, I've seen that on Sunsations, Scarabs, Formulas, and Cigarettes. My buddy removed his exhaust tips from his 38 Cigarette, and found massive voids in the transom. Sunsations right from the factory without even paint on the wood where they cut the exhaust holes. I know the fiberglass shop local here, has done stringer, transom, bulkhead, and all sorts of hull repairs due to rot, on many different brands of offshore boats.

It does seem though, that some companies, improved their quality over the years, and some have declined.
Agreed... cigs, have the "best" reputation but there have been plenty of rotten cigs. In my opinion it is less acknowledged because of the lower numbers of cig boats vs fountains and the average cig owner just pays to have it fixed vs discussing in forums/social media.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Cigs were rigged and sealed a lot better than most. Some get neglected, and not maintained and rot. My 88 fountain 12 meter was used hard but never left wet and was bone dry. My 83 10 meter was about 90% dry, only spot that needed attention was rigging done by someone much later in its life. The later fountains I've worked are not sealed up or even laid up close to as well as the older ones.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fountains are also more likely to have transom issues over other brands from the exhaust being so much closer to water level.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.