Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!
Have fun with her...
Old 10-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Purepower...as you may remember I have an '04 29 with twin 6.2's. Just curious, the 525 is a new engine this year, I think, is it under full warranty and is there a 5 year extended available on that engine? Hope you're still running good, how many more weekends do you have left in the NW? Here in NY we are just about done, maybe the end of the month.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GF,

Heck yeah I remember you being the twin 6.2 guy...Looking forward to seeing some cool pics of your new Twin 29!
My 525 has a factory warranty from Mercury Racing. It is 1 year & I think that is the same on all the Merc stuff. I didn't buy an extended warranty because I may mod the engine in the future.
So far so good, I really like the 525, quick onto plane, nice cruise & powerband. My dealer has sold over a dozen 525 Fountains this summer & all have had good luck, most of the guys have run them real hard too.
I have 9 hours on it & I think it's time to winterize as the October winds & rains have arrived. I am keeping it in a nice storage unit, I may wait on the winterization til' November, hoping to catch a clear Saturday or Sunday in the month to come.
Too bad we're on the opposite coasts, we could go for a rip together.
Attached Thumbnails New Fountain faster than Isabel-hp525.jpg  

Last edited by Mark D; 10-12-2003 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Registered

The boat is basically complete, I forgot to order the Gaffrig digital depth sounder, I want to add that this winter to match the rest of the gauges on the dash. Plus I am planning to add a Garmin 176C GPS to the left of the compass & my VHF under the dash. I am going to add the 2nd battery as well like GF's 29 has, It already has the factory power selector switch installed under the rear seat.
I like Fountain Climber's mod to add the transom shower, might add that this winter too.
Still waiting on my carpet from Fountain too, I guess they're on back order.
Attached Thumbnails New Fountain faster than Isabel-helm.jpg  

Last edited by Mark D; 10-12-2003 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PP,

This may be of interest to you. In addition to "Mad doggin' it" when the mood strikes me, I also do quite a bit of long range running. Hundred mile a day trips are not uncommon for us when the weather is right. Consequently, I am big into GPS. I, like yourself, tried the 176C and was not pleased with the display at all. It, to me at least, was not very easy to read in many instances. What I did was swap it out for the 182C, a fabulous unit in every way, and also ordered the Bluechart software, card and USB transfer unit for and extra $178.00. Includes one unlock chart and is well worth the money spent. You can do all your charting on a computer and transfer it to the card and you are ready to go. What I did was remove the digital compass and the GPS speedometer antenna/sending unit. I mounted the GPS where the compass was and ordered an automobile external antenna for the 182C. It is about the same size as the Gaffrig speedo unit and fit in the same space. I used the GPS pickoff to feed the Gaffrig speedometer and it works perfectly, including the memory recall, etc. It is a lot less cluttered than haveing the two units on the dash. Everything is black so it matches the nautilex covering on the Fountain dash...I will try to snap a picture today and send it along. I too did not get the dept gauge from the factory. However, you can order a sending unit for the sounder (depth finder)on the Garmin, mount the pickup in the stearn bilge area and activeate the display on the GPS, again, one less guage and hole to drill. I am trying to get some information from the factory as to where they mount the pickup for the gaffrig depth gauge...I am pretty sure it is a shoot thru type and should be an easy deal.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Registered

Default depth gauge

Depth gauge puck mounts in an access hole
in the step in the cabin. 2 part epoxy it to
the hull. I have had to reattach this several times.
Good luck. John
Old 10-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Purepower,

Here is the picture of the Garmin GPS 182C mounted in my 29.
Attached Thumbnails New Fountain faster than Isabel-dash-crop.jpg  
Old 10-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

HO496,

Thanks for the heads up on the puck mount in the cabin. I will look for it tomorrow and see what's up.

GF
Old 10-13-2003, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PP,

As you can see, changing plugs on the engines will be an effort...the more I think about it, the next "twins" I buy will be the Coors Light variety!
Attached Thumbnails New Fountain faster than Isabel-engines.jpg  
Old 10-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Registered

GF,
Right on, great looking dash, thanks for the heads up on the Garmin 176C, thinking about it, the face may be hard to read when you're clipping along at a cruise. I think I may go with the 182C like you as I was studying it last week at Boater's World.
The sending unit puck is definately under the step into the cabin on the factory applications. I would rather prep the surface & glue it over a through hull.
By the way the 6.2's look snug in there, but they look GOOD....

Mark D

Quick Reply: New Fountain faster than Isabel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.