changing drive oil >

changing drive oil

Notices

changing drive oil

Old 05-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question changing drive oil

The oil drained out as it should have. Things went well filling the lower part of the drive. After oil starting coming out of the oil vent hole I reinstalled the screw in the drain plug. Then I filled the monitor bottle. It says I should see oil come out of the oil vent hole again after adding to the bottle. I never did see this and the level in the bottle never dropped. I cant understand why it drained out from the bottle in the beginning, but after refilling it didn't. During the filling of the bottle I left the vent screw out. Any of you run into this when doing a drive oil change?

Ivan
Old 05-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Registered

Default Re: changing drive oil

Did you have the reservoir bottle lid off when you were draining? When you added oil to bottle it takes forever to work itself down.
You should be ok the way it is. Ck the bottle before the next run, make sure oil is at full line. Run it and ck again to make sure bottle is ok. When back home,remove bottle lid and upper vent screw on drive, should dribble out by then.
You should have an alarm buzzer that will go off when your bottle is almost empty in case you are not paying attention.
Hope you replaced your screw gaskets with new ones and you removed the old screw gaskets completely.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Did you have the reservoir bottle lid off when you were draining? When you added oil to bottle it takes forever to work itself down.
You should be ok the way it is. Ck the bottle before the next run, make sure oil is at full line. Run it and ck again to make sure bottle is ok. When back home,remove bottle lid and upper vent screw on drive, should dribble out by then.
You should have an alarm buzzer that will go off when your bottle is almost empty in case you are not paying attention.
Hope you replaced your screw gaskets with new ones and you removed the old screw gaskets completely.
Yes, lid was off when I drained it. That part went fine. And I did replace the gaskets. I was just concerned about not seeing any from the bottle making its way down. Thanks for the input.

Ivan
Old 05-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ivan,

I assume you are working with a Bravo unit...it is my understanding that you drain all the drive oil by removing the vent screw and the reservoir bottle cap. Once the oil is drained fill the unit until the oil runs out the vent opening then replace the plug (with a new gasket as Downtown42 recommends) then continue to fill from the bottom until the oil shows at the full level in the reservoir. This procedure will prevent a void and lessen the probability that you will have to add fluid to the bottle. It has been my experience that you still have to add a bit of fluid after the first run to bring the fluid to the full mark on the bottle. I change my drive oil every 25 hours so I never have had to add fluid between changes...most people change every 50 hours...the choice is yours. I think it is cheap insurance and, to make things easier, I buy fluid in bulk and use a Home Depot bug sprayer that I modified to fill the drives...Bravo holds 88 ounces of fluid and I can fill it in 4 minutes, better that 20 it used to take with the hand pump and 1 qt. bottle! Less messy too. My .02 worth...good luck.;

GF
Old 08-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gferdon
Ivan,

I assume you are working with a Bravo unit...it is my understanding that you drain all the drive oil by removing the vent screw and the reservoir bottle cap. Once the oil is drained fill the unit until the oil runs out the vent opening then replace the plug (with a new gasket as Downtown42 recommends) then continue to fill from the bottom until the oil shows at the full level in the reservoir. This procedure will prevent a void and lessen the probability that you will have to add fluid to the bottle. It has been my experience that you still have to add a bit of fluid after the first run to bring the fluid to the full mark on the bottle. I change my drive oil every 25 hours so I never have had to add fluid between changes...most people change every 50 hours...the choice is yours. I think it is cheap insurance and, to make things easier, I buy fluid in bulk and use a Home Depot bug sprayer that I modified to fill the drives...Bravo holds 88 ounces of fluid and I can fill it in 4 minutes, better that 20 it used to take with the hand pump and 1 qt. bottle! Less messy too. My .02 worth...good luck.;

GF
Got any pic.'s of your "home depot bug sprayer"???
Old 08-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Registered

Would love to see your "bug sprayer" lube pump. I've got three drives and it takes forever to fill them all. Picture or brand of sprayer?