Lighting Question >

Lighting Question

Notices

Lighting Question

Old 06-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting Question

I have been having some issues since I got the boat and I am trying to track down the problems now that I have replaced the panels. The problems that I have are with cabin lights and cockpit lights. I am sure that the problems are with grounding but I am also trying to figure what is on what circuit.

Is the light under the dash a cockpit light or a cabin light? It glows when the cockpit lights are turned on but glows brighter when the cabin lights are switched on.

Todd
Old 06-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lighting Question

cockpit light shouldnt come on when cabin light are used

later
Old 06-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pachangalpina
I have been having some issues since I got the boat and I am trying to track down the problems now that I have replaced the panels. The problems that I have are with cabin lights and cockpit lights. I am sure that the problems are with grounding but I am also trying to figure what is on what circuit.

Is the light under the dash a cockpit light or a cabin light? It glows when the cockpit lights are turned on but glows brighter when the cabin lights are switched on.

Todd
That is switched at the panel to your right (Cockpit lights) also should have a light under the rear seat center on the same switch It does sound like a grounding issue.. run a wire from the back of that lamp under the dash to the back of one of the guages and leave it connected to the source(back feed the ground) and see if it corrects its self.. it should with a aux ground connected.. Let me know the result. the power source should be a white/yellow wire, ground should be black
Bob Jordan
Old 06-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Registered

Bob, thanks for the help. I did find the ground problem, some slight corrosion.

I found that someone had wired the light under the dash to work with the cabin lights. Not sure why, but I did find the original yellow and white wires secured above the light. I reconnected and everything works as designed. Now I just have to figure out why the tube lights in the cabin keep blowing fuses.

Todd
Old 06-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Todd.
Just get yourself a Stewart warner breaker that will clip into a push in fuse slot (used in 70s vintage headlight circuits should do the trick... if it keeps breaking clip in a snapon short tester and should be able to trace..do all your floresants work???
Bob

Last edited by blownincome; 06-28-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Registered

The fluorescents have never worked and the tube lights work long enough for me to put in a fuse and walk into the cabin and then they go. I am thinking that when the new rub rail was installed, one of the screws may have damaged the light wires. I am going to work on it further this weekend. I am also going to try the breaker instead of using the fuses.

Todd

I originally thought the fluorescents worked off the shore power until I got the wiring diagrams.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good luck ..The fluorescents are on the same fuse and need a few seconds to come on if the fuse blows that quick they dont have time to come on.. if the rub rail screws damaged the wire it would have to hit power and ground both,,look at the back of the switch to your right as you enter the cabin and run a jumper wire from a stable power source(hot side of the fuse panel) and power up direct and see what happens if the wire gets warm your short is down stream from the switch if not its between the fuse box and the switch...
Hope this helps
Bob