Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Ft Myers Offshore
Information Thread for Thanksgiving Weekend Charity Fun Run - Sat. Nov. 24 / 07 >

Information Thread for Thanksgiving Weekend Charity Fun Run - Sat. Nov. 24 / 07

Notices

Information Thread for Thanksgiving Weekend Charity Fun Run - Sat. Nov. 24 / 07

Old 11-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

what exact bridge are we meeting at? and are we meeting on the inside or gulf side of the bridge? Also, are we planning on stopping at the cape coral place for fuel because we need 93 or should we just fuel up before we all meet up? cant wait!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
what exact bridge are we meeting at? and are we meeting on the inside or gulf side of the bridge? Also, are we planning on stopping at the cape coral place for fuel because we need 93 or should we just fuel up before we all meet up? cant wait!
We will meet on the south ( Gulf ) side of the Sanibel Bridge near Punta Rassa. This is very close to where the Sanibel Harbor Resort is as well as Yacht Clubs of Americas Sanibel Harbor.
As for fuel please fuel up before the run starts. Cape Coral Yacht Club is up the Caloosahatchee River and not on our route.
The restaurant is expecting us at 12:15 PM so we need to keep moving.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Information Thread for Thanksgiving Weekend Charity Fun Run - Sat. Nov. 24 / 07-sanibel-bridge.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 11-19-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,

I will call you this afternoon, or tomorrow for details.

Rick
Old 11-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,
I'll call you this evening as well.
Tom
Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Our run to Punta Gorda will be a fund raiser to help Yvonne Highfil with medical expenses from recent open heart surgery. I am asking that each participating boat donate a minimum $100.00 ( more at your discression ) towards this cause. The preferred method of payment is a check made out to Yvonne which we will deposit into an account that has been set up at Wachovia Bank. Checks will be collected at the lunch stop. In addition we will be selling 50/50 raffle tickets at lunch. Other fund raising ideas can be discussed as the thread evolves. ( sorry, no online auctions ! ) Come out and have a great day on the water and lets show our support for Yvonne. For more complete information on Yvonne's situation please take a moment and read Maritime Eng's (Don's) thread titled " Fund Raiser for one of our own !!!!".

Route:

Our starting point will be the south side of the Sanibel Bridge. Boats should assemble around 10:45 am and we will leave by 11 am sharp. Marco boats can meet me at the mouth of the Marco River. We can then meet the Naples boats at 10:00 am and then continue north to meet the main group of boats at the Sanibel Bridge. Bonita and FMB boats can pick us up on the way by or go directly to the Sanibel Bridge.

We will be in two groups, according to speed. Group 2 will be those boats capable of cruising at 50 - 60 MPH and will be the first to start, at 11:00 AM, travelling up the intercoastal waterway. This route is 10 miles shorter than the offshore route that group 1 will be taking. A paceboat will be assigned to lead this group. Also please be aware that the intercoastal waterway can be busy and we need to respect others using the waterway.

Group 1 will be boats capable of cruising at more than 65 MPH and will start 5 minutes after Group 2 has left.
When we start our run we will go south and make a wide sweep around the bottom end of Sanibel Island ( do not cut the corner as this part of San Carlos Bay is shallow), eventually going west into the Gulf and then up the coast staying a couple of miles or more offshore. If the seas are too rough, then the alternate route will be to run up the Intercoastal Waterway. The offshore group will stop at Redfish Pass for a few minutes to wait for the back of the pack to catch up. From there we will make our way to the Intercoastal via Boca Grande Pass and both groups will meet where Boca Grande Pass meets the Intercoastal Waterway. This is about 3 miles north of Cabbage Key.

We will then head east into Charlotte Harbor making our way to Fisherman's Village in Punta Gorda. We should be there by 12:15 pm for lunch. We will be docking on the west side of FV. Our area will be marked with caution tape. There will be some rafting so make sure you bring fenders.

Fuel / Distance:

From the Sanibel Bridge to Punta Gorda and back should be about 110 miles for those running offshore and 100 miles if Intercoastal both ways. Fisherman's Village Marina has 89 octane. Also South Seas Plantation which is along the way. 93 octane is available at Cape Coral Yacht Club only.

Food:

We will be eating at the Captain's Table. This is the area over Harpoon Harry's and will be for our exclusive use.
They will be serving us buffet style. Tossed salad, marinated grilled tenderloin tips, citrus chicken, baked ziti (pasta), roast potatoes, fresh vegetable medley, hot rolls & butter, key lime tarts, coffee, tea, ice tea and / or water. Mmmmmm looks like Thanksgiving all over again !!
Adults : $20.00 tip and tax included
Kids 10 and under $10:00

Communication:

Interboat communication to be on VHF channel 72. My cell number is 239 776 0481. Anyone dropping out after the start should let me know so we do not spend time either waiting or looking for you. Leave a voicemail if no answer.

Pictures:

Hoping our official photographer Jayboat ( Jay N ) can make it. I have discussed with Jay the possibility of putting him up in a helicopter soon. Possibly New Years Day run.

Tide Information:

Marco River LT - 6:41 AM; HT - 1:28 PM; LT - 6:36 PM;
Naples Bay LT - 6:31 AM; HT - 1:11 PM; LT - 6:14 PM;
Estero Bay LT - 7:14 AM; HT - 3:01 PM; LT - 5:10 PM;
Sanibel Bridge LT - 6:31 AM; HT - 2:27 PM; LT - 4:37 PM;
Cape Coral Bridge LT - 9:52 AM; HT - 4:43 PM; LT - 7:58 PM;

Waypoints:

Marco Island: N 25 58 38; W 81 46 25

Naples ( Gordon Pass): N 26 05 50; W 81 48 67

Sanibel Bridge: N 26 29 00; W 82 00 88

Redfish Pass- ( catch up stop # 1): N 26 33 14; W 82 12 70

Boca Grande Channel ( offshore): N 26 41 78; W 82 17 90

Where Intercoastal meets Boca Grande - ( catch up stop #2): N 26 42 88; W 82 14 62

Charlotte Harbor - Green #5 : N 26 45 71; W 82 04 38

Punta Gorda- ( Fisheman's Village): N 26 56 18; W 82 04 38

Weather / Sea Conditions:

To be posted starting 5 days prior to the run and updated daily thereafter.

Safety:

Each boat Captain is required to operate his vessel in a safe manner and is responsible for his / her crew and their safety. Familiarize yourself with BSAFE ( Boating Safety Association for Events ). Visit www.boatingsafe.org
When running in the Intercoastal Waterway be aware that this can be a high traffic area and we ask that other boats be given a wide berth and that the rules of the road ( waterway ) be adhered to.

Bob
cell: 239 776 0481
e mail: [email protected]
Bob, would you send me your address again so I can mail you a check. Thanks, Ken
Old 11-19-2007, 03:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kenvik01
Bob, would you send me your address again so I can mail you a check. Thanks, Ken

Thank again Ken. I recall your support for the fund raiser for Jennifur as well. The world need more people like you.

Checks may be sent to:

Yvonne Highfil,
c/o Bob Barnhart,
870 South Collier Blvd; Unit # 202,
Marco Island, FL

I will see that they are deposited into the account that has been set up for Yvonne at Wachovia Bank.

With thanks,
Bob
Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Registered

Thinking about making the trip over from west palm, what is the best ramp to use? And how many boat are expected to be in the slow group.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jim B
Thinking about making the trip over from west palm, what is the best ramp to use? And how many boat are expected to be in the slow group.
Come on over Jim. Most convenient ramp would be the ramp at Punta Rassa on the right ride just before the toll booth at Sanibel Bridge. Construction there is now complete and I used the ramp with no problem launching the 50 NT at mid tide. They have added several more parking slots as well.
I expect there will be a dozen or more boats in Group 2.
Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 11-19-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made it down. Getting it out of storage tomorrow and gettting her cleaned up and started. Still plan to splash Wednesday at Punta Rassa.

Both trucks had dead batteries. Got the one running with a new battery and throwing a charger on the dually.

Last edited by The Menace; 11-19-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by The Menace
Made it down. Getting it out of storage tomorrow and gettting her cleaned up and started. Still plan to splash Wednesday at Punta Rassa.

Both trucks had dead batteries. Got the one running with a new one and throwing a charger on the dually.

Good luck, Dennis. Look forward to seeing you on the water again.
Bob

Quick Reply: Information Thread for Thanksgiving Weekend Charity Fun Run - Sat. Nov. 24 / 07

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.