Notices

Comparison thoughts?

Old 04-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Comparison thoughts?

The 25 AT is really smaller than I'd like to go. If I could find a 28 AT for the right price, well.... still kicking myself over not snatching up jafo's boat when I had the chance (though I don't think I'm alone in that thought).

I talked to the broker on that 288 Sun - banged up gelcoat on the keel from beaching the boat, boat needs a thorough cleaning, buffed and wheeled, speakers from the stereo have been removed, engine needs a complete tune-up, outdrive needs repainted (he thinks the boat was left in the water all last season), prop is chewed up and needs reconditioned, bowlight is broken, etc...

Said the couple is getting divorced and the boat has been neglected for the past year. He also said he's got a written estimate of $3K to put it to rights, which might still make it worthwhile. I might take a look at this weekend if I can get over that way.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dockrocker, We just went through the same thing! Formula or PQ. I've always had a love affair with the Formulas style and quality. Matter of fact we drove to Detroit to take a ride in a beautiful 242 (26 by todays standards) I have 3 small children and found the free-board lacking and overall performance a little disappointing. We ended up buying a PQ and really loved the boat. We sold it last fall to the 1st party that looked at it. I decided to start shopping for a Formula again and after the sticker shock ended up buying another PQ. If you look at the big picture the numbers are all relative! So you spend an extra $5,000 to $10, 000 on the Formula v.s the PQ. When you go to resale the spread is still there with pretty much an even exchange in the end. Lets face it most boats now days are of pretty equal quality build wise. Handling and looks are another story. I've noticed over the years that most boats have a bottom price range ,so if you do your home work and stay as close to that lower # as possible 2-4 years down the road the boat will be worth nearly the same $$$.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:08 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the PQ. You KNOW how good the factory support is.
It is way newer - boats always have problems a newer boat will have less.

It has less hours - see above.

It will be faster - Formula's are nice boats but heavy. W/o a step - It will ikely do upper 50's to maybe 60.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron