Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
restoration or get a newer boat??? >

restoration or get a newer boat???

Notices

restoration or get a newer boat???

Old 04-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: restoration or get a newer boat???

Originally Posted by magnum27
make out a time-line of what all you want to do and how long it will take, then multiply it by three and that will give you an idea of when it will be done. I am still trying to finish mine if the interior guy would just finish his part, I could rig it. At least you are starting with a working boat, I started with a hull, then bought a new deck and went from there.
I forgot to mention that part. I hate to say it but mine has taken 4 years. Keep in mind that i worked backwards a lot a did most things twice because i wasnt happy with them. Think about what things should be done first and start ordering those parts. That is one of the biggest set backs...waiting on parts. Get all of your objectives set out and try to stick to at least 60% of them. I guarantee you will change your mind on 40% of the ideas you have. Its a lot of fun! and a lot of stress!

Magnum, i am also waiting for the interior guy but mine is rigged and ready to rag on.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnum, i am also waiting for the interior guy but mine is rigged and ready to rag on.[/QUOTE]

You Lucky, Lucky man!!
Old 04-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Registered

I love the look of the 357s too.

My old Stinger260 is an 87, so not much newer than yours.

What is surprising is that people will walk right past newer, faster boats to come check out mine. I guess classic lines are classic for a reason.

You have two very nice boats, in my opinion.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A new boat is jsut going to go down in value dramatically in a few years, and your probably best off buying something someeon else jsut restored and lsot all their money in, cuse then the boat looks like new, and you didnt have to pay the extra money to do it urself.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stinger, you are right, BUT - It's not done the way you would have done (had it done) yourself. Maybe an awsome boat, in great shape, and at a great price.

For instance, someone may have put a really nice paint job on the boat, and matched the interior, dash bezels, Throttles/shifters, canvas, in RED.
Nothing against RED,or you guys with red boats, but I don't like RED.

To change all this, I might as well have started on my own project and done it the way I wanted.
My current Truck happens to be Maroon/Marron interior. I hate the color, but it was such a good deal and the truck runs perfect with less than 50K on a '96.

But, trucks are different than boats.

Toss my .02 in the coffer...
Old 04-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya dont gotta buy somethin u dont like, but if you do find sometihng, out of the 1000s of boats for sale that u do like ur prob better off letting someone else have lost al the money on it. not tryin to stir up nothin, jsut my personal opinion
Old 04-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not trying to stir anything up either. Just enetering the debate.
I just know that when it comes to my Truck, I don't care that much - It's in great shape, get's me back and forth to work, and hauls stuff around.

When It comes to a boat, I want it to be all about what "I" want, and I'll keep tinkering with it until it's the way I want it.
It's all a matter of personal opinion.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:44 PM
JnT
Registered

Restore it. Do a good job. Stay out of debt! Enjoy boating. When it breaks fix it. Enjoy boating. Admire the new boats from afar. Remember you have no payment! Enjoy boating. Throw thousands at it. The new boats depreciate tens of thousands! Enjoy boating.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

Wow!

I'm surprised! First time I write in this forum, and you guys already answered 17 times in less than 24 hours!

I'm also surprised of an other thing: all 17 went for restoration instead of getting a newer boat! This probably means 2 things: every body who answered have older boats, either restored or not, OR, NOBODY having a new or newer boat replied...

Anybody who answerd has a new/newer boat?
While we're in it, is it worth it switching from TRS to Bravos?
If so, what would be in your opinion, the advantage with Bravos?
Reliability? Speed? Parts availability?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate reading your opinion!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:37 PM
JnT
Registered

I'm an old boat guy. From what I have seen TRS to Konrad is the bomb. Look up Biggus or Konrad. Link to Konrad news. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=79783

Last edited by JnT; 04-26-2005 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: restoration or get a newer boat???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.