Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which Engine/Drive Package??? >

Which Engine/Drive Package???

Notices

Which Engine/Drive Package???

Old 08-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Which Engine/Drive Package???

I see newcomers buying stock power with warranty and being happy right up until their first poker run when another similar boat with custom power smokes them. Then they want to supercharge and the drives won't take it. Maybe the compromise is 525EFI with Konrads. They will never break and you can supercharge when you're out of warranty.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What HP are the Konrads rated too? And how much torque will they hande?

I would also recomend custom power and a good drive. Either Imco or the Teague Platnum also looks dependable. And put the rest of the money in your pocket!!! For Gas
Old 08-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=Titan]What HP are the Konrads rated too? And how much torque will they handle?

The Konrad 540 is rated at a very conservative 740 ft lbs of torque. Although they have been tested to much higher levels, (without failure) they are designed to handle up to 800 hp or so.

The Konrad 540 was designed for the US Navy where drive failure is not an option. They are extremely rugged.

As most of you know, last season I had swapped out my Merc drives on my heavy old CigaretteTop Gun for a pair of the mighty Konrad 540's. Since the conversion to Konrads, I've totally eliminated outdrive failures. It sure makes the boat much more enjoyable not having to worry about your drives blowing up. As a matter of fact, I was so impressed with the product and the company, that I went to work for them last April.

Well enough cheer leading and back to the original question. Out of the three choices that Wiggler has presented, I'd go with the Ilmor 625 and back it up with a Konrad 540. I feel they are both light years ahead of the competition as far as reliability goes, and that to me is the bottom line. Enjoy your toys.

Kurt

Last edited by Biggus; 08-02-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm going through this decision right now. And these are the 3 engines in the running. Just considering what I like best, Ilmor first, then 525 and last is the 600. Still not sure what I will do. I plan to keep the boat for awhile. If I focused on maximizing value, I'd go 525s. But if I focus on maximizing value, I'd probably get out of boating.

I'm not worried about the service aspect of Ilmor. I think they will build their network. And right now their factory folks are much more responsive to problems than Merc is.

Last I talked to the engineers at Ilmor, about 4 weeks ago, they were offering a 1 year warrenty with the Teague or Imco drive. Are they offering the packaged warrenty with Konrad now?

Last edited by Mentalpause; 08-02-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
I keep telling you, but you are not listning ...MERC is over rated, what reliability, they have their own issues. A reliable custom builder will give you more hp for same money. TMP comes to mind, they have a 650 efi, JC, Pfaff, and Im sure there are a few others...Good luck.
Jeff, how close is your delivery?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Banned

They only have warranty on the teague. To get imco, you have to buy from them and deal with them on warranty. I've been talking to Fred at Konrad for some time now. Got a chance to spend alot of time with Bob of Ilmor at the chicago poker run. I'm very impressed with their motor. I'm going to call Fred at Konrad this week, I'm surer he would love to be included in the Ilmor Konrad package with a bulletproof warranty. Biggus, you might mention I'll be calling . Bob at Ilmor is interested as well. Putting first Ilmor's in a Nortech next week,with imco extreme's. anxious tto see how they do. Ilmors have been tested to 500hours and all dyno within 3hp of 625 and come with dyno sheets. they also can polish the manifold aND custom color the engine. The motor has alot of ass and is set up very mild and conserrvative. Motor is capable of alot more. thanks Jim
Old 08-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Registered

I will have to agree with wiggler 4490. I have the Ilmor 625 package with Imco and not the teague drives. I could not be more happy. They perform flawlessly. I have had the 550 Ilmors and they too are a very good package. They are extremely efficient engines. I believe that anyone looking for mid 500hp to 600hp should look at this package. Ilmor is going to be around for the long haul and is at this time completing a large addition to their already large shop. You can count on them being there for the customer as I can attest to that. There are already several Ilmor packages sold and coming to Lake Norman this summer. They are expanding their service network as we speak. They are a top notch company that will compete with Mercury.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered

Steet, what performance gains did you get when you went from the 550s to the 625s. We talked about 6 months back. Are you getting as efficient fuel use, or close, with the 625s as you got with your 550s.

Wiggler, let us know how your conversations go with getting Ilmor and Konrad together.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Banned

10-4 guys will let you know after I speak with Fred at Konrad. I know the brand new 39 mti delivered at the Chicago poker run had alot of get up and go . We ran next to it for about 25 miles. was very quiet, must of had big time mufflers. Motors looked awesome very well rigged, . Ilmor has Penske and alot of money behind them, ultimately i believe they will produce their own drive, but really the Konrad is perfect for the 625, with a tranny and 600 less pounds on a set of motors. the package is awesome. The motor is very easy to work on and now has knock sensor, billet pulleys, and further enhancements to make it even more reliable. very efficient and non supercharged. you can get insured on it. I think its a great package for the cats. Would like to try in my next 36 Nortech. would probably be a 120-125mph boat and save a ton of money on drives and props from a six, and still be reliable for poker runs, andplenty fast. Jim
Old 08-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know where your at but I believe I got the best deal around on big naturally asperated power. 801 Hp 598ci. and a price I could'nt pass up. The only thing is, if your not close to the builder, do you feel comfortable buying long distance? Adrenaline Marine, PM me if your interested.
Attached Thumbnails Which Engine/Drive Package???-598-large-.jpg   Which Engine/Drive Package???-dyno-001-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Which Engine/Drive Package???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.