Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Arneson ASD 6's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/109580-arneson-asd-6s.html)

Rik 08-09-2005 08:22 PM

Re: Arneson ASD 6's

It would be a good application. The weight in the front of the boat is not going to be an issue.

Cost wise, if you look at everything you get in our kit it is not that much more than the alternative and the performance difference between the two is a major.

Rik

AbsolutlyScarab 08-10-2005 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love the ASD-6 setup. All I need is to find the right prop for it. I can turn almost 7000 and getting about the same in speed. Way too much HP and not enough prop. Definately need help in that area, but havent found a prop to fit yet. I don't really want to go to a speedmaster prop, but might have to. Rik, anything laying around for this set up?

Rik 08-10-2005 04:13 PM

What do you have for HP, Speed and Reduction ratio?

AbsolutlyScarab 08-11-2005 09:44 AM

550 hp per motor. 67 mph @ 6500 RPM 150:1 I believe for reduction ratio.

Gary Anderson 08-11-2005 10:05 AM

Rik,
Are there any problems running an inline ASD6 and using a velvet drive with the tailstock reduction gear up to 500hp?
Thinking of a staggered application so length is not an issue.
Gary

Rik 08-11-2005 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Anderson
Rik,
Are there any problems running an inline ASD6 and using a velvet drive with the tailstock reduction gear up to 500hp?
Thinking of a staggered application so length is not an issue.
Gary

Do you mean using the Borg-Warner/Velvet Drive 5000 A transmission?

These can handle about 500 hp and that is about it I'm told. I belive it will have to be modified to handle that power even.

They will work, same as a diesel application.

Gary Anderson 08-11-2005 12:48 PM

Actually I was referring to the standard 72 velvet drive with tailstock planetary reduction and reverse rotating one motor. Like an inboard setup.
Just trying to use stuff already on my shelf.
Gary

Originally Posted by Rik
Do you mean using the Borg-Warner/Velvet Drive 5000 A transmission?

These can handle about 500 hp and that is about it I'm told. I belive it will have to be modified to handle that power even.

They will work, same as a diesel application.

Rik 08-11-2005 06:30 PM

I do not know the rating of the planetary gearbox. You will have to ask BAM or Huber.

The only draw back is the lack of drop to mount the engines. You will have to push them far ahead to get the angle to work out correctly for your drive lines.

cliff_m_b 08-13-2005 11:48 PM

I am new to the Forum and have a `81 30 foot Scarab just recently purchased some Kaama drives to swap out with the TRS drives. Would love the Arneson's, and in no way implying anything negative on such a tremendous product as the Arneson's but when I checked last month the kit was about 16 thousand each, times 2 equals 32 grand, just can't afford them. Any advice on mounting the Kaamas would be appreciated. Also does anybody know anything about the new drives from DBD Marine?

[email protected]

Reed Jensen 08-14-2005 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lofty
Hey Cuda, are you gonna' get one of those billet colostomy bags from Fred? - :drink:

ROFLMAO..... That is so funny... yet at the same time... so cruel..... :D