Notices

Lake Travis Boat Accident

Old 08-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lake Travis Boat Accident

I'm sorry for the loss of life. I also live in Austin, so everyone here knows about it. But...

It was a "new moon" Saturday night. It was pitch black that night. There is a "just fast enough to get on plane" speed limit on Lake Travis at night. Ski boats can plane at a very slow speed.

In my humble opinion, it is totally driver error on the part of the ski boat driver. I believe that he was going way too fast. He wanted to get to Carlos'N Charlie's and back before his dinner got cold. He is just a kid and has probably rarely driven a boat at night. It's just sad.

On a side note... Another person drowned in Devil's Cove Saturday night. My friends saw him. He was drunk and stumbling from boat to boat. They made him put on a life vest. He did, but later took it off. He walked down to his boat, and they never saw him again.

People just don't respect the dangers of being on the water.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rastaboatin
I am truely sorry for those involved but what do two boats running into each other at night have anything to do with poker runs?
Absoutely nothing!
Old 08-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered

True, he liked to drive fast, even at night, and he had limited experience driving at night at all. I do about half my boating at night, have done so for years, and I still see things that are confusing. The report's not in though, so I'm not pointing any fingers.

The good news is that Ryan seems to be out of the woods. I think the main focus for him has moved from survival to rehabilitation at this point.

Didn't hear about last Saturday's drowning and can find no mention of it in the Statesman. I had other events already scheduled for that weekend and just didn't make it out. Hope this drowning turns out to be a rumor.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by m1super90
Didn't hear about last Saturday's drowning and can find no mention of it in the Statesman. I had other events already scheduled for that weekend and just didn't make it out. Hope this drowning turns out to be a rumor.
Sorry to say it is true. He was recovered in about 50' of water. They brought the body in at west beach marina. Both accidents were reported about the same time Saturday night.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:56 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry for your loss. I almost never boat at night and if I do it is at idle speed. Joe Murray
Old 08-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by m1super90
The good news is that Ryan seems to be out of the woods. I think the main focus for him has moved from survival to rehabilitation at this point.
That is good news!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Registered

Wow I was at Cafe Blue and Carlos and Charles on Sat night and had no clue about any of this.....prayers go out to all of those involved.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

m1super90,
I am sorry to hear of your loss and the affected families.
May God Bless
Old 08-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Formula_353
Wow I was at Cafe Blue and Carlos and Charles on Sat night and had no clue about any of this.....prayers go out to all of those involved.
I was at my marina Friday night and surprised to see the other .38 Special there from Dallas. Used to be Dr. Feelgood, I think. Got a new name now. Only then did I realize there must be a poker run that weekend. Had other plans though. I might have to ban alcohol in addition to cigarettes on my boat with all these accidents.

Thanks, all, for all the well wishes. It helps!

Clay, checked out your pictures. I know you!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Registered

Ryan's toxicology results came back clean. We was under the drinking limit and no drugs. I had breakfast at Cafe Bleu yesterday and the staff told me he didn't appear drunk to them either. The cops are suspicious about the very long time it took the cruiser to report the accident. As in, what were they trying to hide. Not sure what will come of the investigation at this point.

Ryan's getting better. He sleeps most of the time but wakes up for 2-3 minutes on occasion. He'll give thumbs-up when asked if he's in pain, etc, and wiggles his fingers and toes on cue. He's got visiting hours now so I'm going to go tell him not to heal up too fast because we need time to fix his boat for when he gets out.

His family's put up a special message on his website:
http://www.ryaninaustin.com/

Last edited by m1super90; 08-22-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Lake Travis Boat Accident

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.