Notices

496 mods! what works?

Old 08-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 496 mods! what works?

Originally Posted by Raylar
Nordic Flame:
I would like to see anyone see 7-8 mph from just adding a great set of headers like CMI's, problem is I know its not going to happen!

My point exactly Ray. I sent you a very lengthy email about two weeks ago but I can't find it in my sent items box. Did you ever get it?
Dave
Old 08-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 496 mods! what works?

Originally Posted by Raylar
Nordic Flame:
I would like to see anyone see 7-8 mph from just adding a great set of headers like CMI's, problem is I know its not going to happen! I will see if I can get some of our Raylar kit users to post some real world results. Some of these people are not big posting regulars and some are not done dialing in their prop changes. There are quite a few who have completed their improvements, so if you PM me or call I will give you several references to speak with about their expierences most of them are not OSO members. There are several magazine articles in the works so I do not want to steal their thunder until the articles hit the readers.

Ray @ Raylar
I have a Velocity VR1 (28' boat). Last summer my 496 HO w/26" Bravo 1 prop saw a best of 69.6 mph GPS with just me in the boat. I would just barely hit the rev limiter at 5150 rpm.

I installed the Raylar Big Power 106 kit. and this summer I've gone up to a 28" Bravo 1 prop and can hit the rev limiter with 5 adults in the boat and their gear. This is 77.4 mph GPS. This is after upgrading to an XR drive, which robs some power, and I also have Gibson bullet mufflers. The engine has amazing midrange acceleration - it really comes on strong. I've got two variables yet to work with. I'm going to prop test a Hydromotive 4-blade, and there may be the possibility for someday increasing the rev limiter to unleash the full potential of the engine.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Registered

I was told by a reliable source that the Whipple shortage was due to them not being made over seas anymore. They are tooling up to make them in house. Right here in the USA.
I'm sure Whipple get back on track soon, but I just wouldn't
want to be one of the 1st one's to try out the NEW PRODUCT
even if it is a proven design. Teague has the 1st 43 spoken for.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered

Sounds right on the money Escape. Just about what should be expected with the 125 hp increase
Over on HB they're throwing around 17-20 mph gains with the 103 kit
Couple questions come to mind... You changed pistons I assume for the 106 cam, correct? Did they fit the stock rods or did you add the rods also?
Did you use the stock exhaust?
Did you have the Gibsons before the install? Just curious because that's what I run on my HOs.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nordic,

I think all of the boats with the Raylar upgrades I've read about so far on Hot Boat's website are cats, and mine is a V-bottom.

When I replaced the pistons with the forged Mahle's, I also upgraded to the H-beam rods and had everything balanced. I also upgraded the exhaust with Bassett's tri-Y headers. The Gibson mufflers are the thru-transom version, and I installed them at the same time I did the engine upgrade, so unfortunately I don't have a before and after speed comparison. I do like their sound a lot. Here's a picture of my engine in the boat.
Attached Thumbnails 496 mods! what works?-engine-48-small.jpg  
Old 08-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Registered

Thanks EV,
Very nice!!! and thanks for the info...
Dave