Notices

Twins trouble

Old 08-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Twins trouble

My 33 Powerplay has a full stagger with 3 blade Mirage's turning in and it's pretty easy to dock.....really surprized me the first time I tried it.
I had the opportunity to drive a '03 35 Fountain a few years ago that had props turning in (not sure if it was staggered) and it was very hard. I ended up using only one motor to dock. I guess it depends on the boat.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe Mr. Stinson could give us all lesons?

I remember being on a 42' Cigarette with 1,000+ blower motors at the Miami show a few years ago with Stinson, Jeffrey (BG1), and Troutly. Sean was driving the boat. It was slightly windy, a little bit of chop (maybe 6'-10') and he friggin parallel parked that surging beast right between 2 other boats at the gas dock. He just zig-zagged that thing in there. I wouldn't have the balls to do that in a million years.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found that I have to use the wheel a bit to bring the stern in. IT's tough but once you get used to it no big deal it just takes forever to get it to walk over.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Metal - I hear you on the step up to twins. Going through it myself this summer. Got my new ride in March, so I'm a little ahead of you on the learning curve. I second the vote to just go out and practice on a slow day (i.e. during the week if possible) with about 100 fenders up on your boat and/or the slip/dock. For the first month or so I just gave up and was using one engine and docking like a single, but after some patience and quite a bit of practice, I've been able to figure it out and am doing really well now. Do have to agree that not knowing where straight is on the drives is a royal pain in the a$$, but you'll get used to that too. Usually shouldn't need to touch the wheel when docking with twins, just leave it straight. Have faith and confidence, you'll get it. FYI - 2000 38' Fountain turning in.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Maybe Mr. Stinson could give us all lesons?

I remember being on a 42' Cigarette with 1,000+ blower motors at the Miami show a few years ago with Stinson, Jeffrey (BG1), and Troutly. Sean was driving the boat. It was slightly windy, a little bit of chop (maybe 6'-10') and he friggin parallel parked that surging beast right between 2 other boats at the gas dock. He just zig-zagged that thing in there. I wouldn't have the balls to do that in a million years.

I was on the same beast/same timeframe with Sean, Steve, and Batgirl a different day, and the boy can drive.

As for driving with twins, when I approach the place where I am going to dock, I make sure I center the drives, but placing the boat in idle forward on both drives, and correcting the steering wheel until the boat moves straight. If I don't have time or room to do such, I will place the drives in neutral and walk back and look over the transom to correct. From then on, the only corrections/direction changes are made with the shifters and a zing of the throttle to pop the boat one way or another. My twins spin out.

A trend I did notice with the SCOPE guys though, its they drive their twins like singles... some of them that is. They use both drives in the same direction, and use the steering wheel when piloting around the docks. I find that piloting a twin around the docks is MUCH easier by using the drives independently, and NOT touching the steering wheel.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-18-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I was on the same beast/same timeframe with Sean, Steve, and Batgirl a different day, and the boy can drive.

As for driving with twins, when I approach place where I am going to dock, I make sure I center the drives, but placing the boat in idle forward on both drives, and correcting the steering wheel until the boat moves straight. If I don't have time or room to do such, I will place the drives in neutral and walk back and look over the transom to correct. From then on, the only corrections/direction changes are made with the shifters and a zing of the throttle to pop the boat one way or another. My twins spin out.

A trend I did notice with the SCOPE guys though, its they drive their twins like singles... some of them that is. They use both drives in the same direction, and use the steering wheel when piloting around the docks. I find that piloting a twin around the docks is MUCH easier by using the drives independently, and NOT touching the steering wheel.
That technique doesn't work with the props spinning in!! I was just getting the hang of it with the Bullet!!! Haven't figured out the TG yet, but I'll be working on it this Sunday.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Registered

It would be really helpful if there was a drive indicator that showed the position in real time.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
It would be really helpful if there was a drive indicator that showed the position in real time.
My neighbor has a Bayliner that has a gauge on the dash that tells him which direction the drive is pointing.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OldSchool
My neighbor has a Bayliner that has a gauge on the dash that tells him which direction the drive is pointing.
Can you see if livorsi or another one of your vendors makes one for me Fred? Also when you find out when the next KPM shipment comes in let me know, I have these ugly brass plugs in those beautiful strainers you sold me.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
That technique doesn't work with the props spinning in!! I was just getting the hang of it with the Bullet!!! Haven't figured out the TG yet, but I'll be working on it this Sunday.
Perhaps still keeping the drives pointed straight, but NOT using both drives in gear at one time. I mistakedly had my props reversed one time, and had to do it this way.

I still kept the drives straight, but only placed one drive in gear, and throttled up that side to push or pull the bow around.

Quick Reply: Twins trouble

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.