Buying A Marina - Opinions Appreciated >

Buying A Marina - Opinions Appreciated

Notices

Buying A Marina - Opinions Appreciated

Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Buying A Marina - Opinions Appreciated

The only thing more overrated than natural childbirth, is the joy of owning your own business.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family has owned a marina since 1965 and I love the fact that we still have it. As with anything, there are ups and downs in the business. Being in Pittsburgh, its a limited market. The season typically runs from may till the beggining of September. So its short. Dock rentals brings in the most money, but services and sales can generate good additional revenue to put you over the top. It mainly comes down to keeping your overhead low to maximize your profits. Yes, it can be very time consuming. Especially if you dont have the luxury of being able to hire a GM or dockhands. But, if you work together and have some help, it can be a very rewarding experience. Especially if you treat people how you want to be treated. No matter what they look like or what kind of boat they have. If you want, you can email me or call my cell at 412-523-3562. I would be more than happy to talk more about it.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Registered

Thanks...I will definately contact you in the near future.

Jack
Old 08-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Registered

See upgraded text.

Last edited by jpclear; 08-24-2005 at 12:58 PM. Reason: See upgraded text
Old 08-24-2005, 12:49 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpclear
I started my marina in 1962 and operated it through 1985. I sold it 3 times but got it back twice before I was finally paid off 2 years ago. Now I operate a nice, small, one man, no employee, speciality service business from my lakefront home for good customers that I select. While I was in business it cost me one wife, one son, some of my health, and lots of my sanity. Up here in NY it is a HIGH stress business. Season is short so you work 18 hr. days for 5 or 6 mo. then wonder how you can eat and make the payments for the rest. And NY State is NOT kind to small businesses with employees, especially if they are seasonal. You can probably make it work if you have a real strong marrige and it can be very rewarding at times, but DO look to a state other than NY that has a longer boating season. You can e-mail or call me anytime if you just want to chat about it.
Yup. Lots of stress and one marriage later.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Registered

I started my marina in 1962 and operated it through 1985. I sold it 3 times but got it back twice before I was finally paid off 2 years ago. Now I operate a nice, small, one man, no employee, speciality service business from my lakefront home for good customers that I select. While I was in business it cost me one wife, one son, some of my health, and lots of my sanity. Up here in NY it is a HIGH stress business. Season is short so you work 18 hr. days for 5 or 6 mo. then wonder how you can eat and make the payments for the rest. And NY State is NOT kind to small businesses with employees, especially if they are seasonal. You can probably make it work if you have a real strong marriage and it can be very rewarding at times, but DO look to a state other than NY that has a longer boating season. You can e-mail or call me anytime if you just want to chat about it. --- Jerry at JPC Marine - (585) 229- 5498