Why Not Volvo Penta or Vortec? >

Why Not Volvo Penta or Vortec?

Notices

Why Not Volvo Penta or Vortec?

Old 09-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why Not Volvo Penta or Vortec?

Heck, a Volvo is built on a GM block. A Vortech is built on the same block. AND, the Merc 496 is also built on the same block. I'm sure the block is not the only common part these three motors share.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Registered

Does the vortec use a Merc drive?

(forgive me)
Old 09-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmwalters
There is nothing wrong with a volvo penta But for service and resale mercury is the best choice
I think that is a big part of it. At least the re-sale part. Volvo drives rarely need the service part!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Registered

The Vortec is on: http://www.marinepowerservice.com/

They also carry Mercruiser & Volvo. I have no idea what drive GM suggests to use with their Vortec. I guess if you use their motor, maybe you go complete custom. Can you save enough buying the Vortec to justify a Konrad? How much is one of those anyway. I can't find any website showing a price.

Yeah, they are all built on the same block, but we all know it's what's inside that counts!

If one were to do a complete custom setup, what all is needed? (sorry for the newbie question) What I know is Engine - Transmission - Drive. Is anything else necessary in there? What transmission to use in a high horsepower (600-800) setup?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jayhawk261

They also carry Mercruiser & Volvo. I have no idea what drive GM suggests to use with their Vortec. I guess if you use their motor, maybe you go complete custom. Can you save enough buying the Vortec to justify a Konrad? How much is one of those anyway. I can't find any website showing a price.

Yeah, they are all built on the same block, but we all know it's what's inside that counts!

If one were to do a complete custom setup, what all is needed? (sorry for the newbie question) What I know is Engine - Transmission - Drive. Is anything else necessary in there? What transmission to use in a high horsepower (600-800) setup?
The Merc and Volvo are the exact same motor with different intake, exhaust, ignition and accesories.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:00 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my Volvo engine coupled to a bravo
certainly looks like a HP500
http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...newmotor1b.jpg
Old 09-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jayhawk261

They also carry Mercruiser & Volvo....?
My boat is actually about 1/4 mile down the road from marine power service in NJ. It's nice to have a warehouse full of parts when you have the boat apart. Great bunch of guys to deal with.

The Rendl boats in the one design series used volvo power. Chris Rendl could probably give you a report on the Volvo ups and downs.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered

I used to have a Volvo drive (280) on an old SeaBird. Never had a problem with it. However, a Volvo drive on a performance boat would probably look odd. They have the technology and could probably use most of the same parts. I can't imagine that it would be that much of an investment to get into the performance market. I personally think that Volvo needs to come up with a more sporty drive. I am a Merc guy but I think that Mercury definitely needs some competition because the prices are getting out of hand.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by frequentflyer
I used to have a Volvo drive (280) on an old SeaBird. Never had a problem with it. However, a Volvo drive on a performance boat would probably look odd. They have the technology and could probably use most of the same parts. I can't imagine that it would be that much of an investment to get into the performance market. I personally think that Volvo needs to come up with a more sporty drive. I am a Merc guy but I think that Mercury definitely needs some competition because the prices are getting out of hand.
They already did. 500 and 600 hp engines with DPX drives that had built in external steering.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Registered

And I would assume it was a HUGE inventment!

Quick Reply: Why Not Volvo Penta or Vortec?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.