Notices

Car odometer question

Old 10-04-2005, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Re: Car odometer question

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Can't be done on that volvo. All odometer functions are handled by the central electronic control module. The mileage display is a signal sent to the dash cluster module on the control area network ( CAN ) info bus. The cluster has no storage ability for mileage or trip mileage. The C.E.M. gets the mileage info in the form of a digital signal from the electronic brake control module by way of the CAN info bus.. The EBCM gets the info from the Vehicle Speed Sensor. Putting a "cut off switch" in there somewhere will cause some CAN Bus faults for sure which will be recorded in the C.E.M. memory.
Opening the circuit form the VSS to the EBCM will screw up the ABS and set codes, the transmission shift points controlled by the PCM and set codes and the CEM will record the faults as well. The only way to doctor the mileage would be to replace the C.E.M. and Volvo isn't likely to just sell him one over the counter. The new ones need to be programmed to the vehicle and mileage would be one piece of info they would take from the old module to put into the new module.
Thought this was an interesting topic. Around 2 years ago I was buying a 2 and a half year old Range Rover(2000) with only 6500 miles on it . I thought it was a little light so I called a couple of dealers to see if I can get a pre purchase inspections and at the same time I explained my feeling about the mileage and asked if they can plug it into the computer to confirm that what was on odometer, was actually on the car. They said there was no way to do it. Bought the car, and knock wood, no problems so far.
Anyway, I just called around a half dozen volvo dealers and asked the service managers the same thing and all said they had no way to check other than carfax and warranty repair reports to make sure everything jives, but nothing to plug into and check. as a matter of fact, a few of them said there was absolutely no way to change or stop the odometer from registering and I would have nothing to worry about.
It sounds like Airpacker should be working for these car companies. Maybe he could start an Odometer Fraud Team (OFT) .
What happens when he brings his car to the dealer for service?
Ever any problems?
It all sounds way too scummy and risky to me!
Keep us up to date.
Adam
Old 10-04-2005, 08:47 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Car odometer question

best thing is to have the dealer show you the service records for the Used vehical before you buy, a consistant record shows the milage progressing along at a fairly consistant rate, most cars/trucks get serviced at the dealers during the warrenty period. I keep all my records and the milage is recorded on all of them. they will be no question to as the milage when I sell. I will provide the records to the future buyer as its nice to know whats been fixed or serviced.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:51 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wwwTOPDJcom
just to test this theory on GM truck I just put my friends cluster in my truck
both are 2002, guess what!!, his miles, trip info and hours stayed with the cluster. I think each manufacturer is doing things slightly different.

just so you know , when you go to your dealer they record your miles and its saved to that vin, lower miles would draw a big red flag.
in NYS DMV reports your inspection Miles and it DOES show up on a CARFAX.

I even heard some places like Jiffy Lube sell the miles data to Carfax just to help fight rollbacks
Brian you have to get a hobby...
Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam
Thought this was an interesting topic. Around 2 years ago I was buying a 2 and a half year old Range Rover(2000) with only 6500 miles on it . I thought it was a little light so I called a couple of dealers to see if I can get a pre purchase inspections and at the same time I explained my feeling about the mileage and asked if they can plug it into the computer to confirm that what was on odometer, was actually on the car. They said there was no way to do it. Bought the car, and knock wood, no problems so far.
Anyway, I just called around a half dozen volvo dealers and asked the service managers the same thing and all said they had no way to check other than carfax and warranty repair reports to make sure everything jives, but nothing to plug into and check. as a matter of fact, a few of them said there was absolutely no way to change or stop the odometer from registering and I would have nothing to worry about.
It sounds like Airpacker should be working for these car companies. Maybe he could start an Odometer Fraud Team (OFT) .
What happens when he brings his car to the dealer for service?
Ever any problems?
It all sounds way too scummy and risky to me!
Keep us up to date.
Adam
most service managers wouldn't know how to check the oil without asking one of their mechanics.... the guys at the dealership i go to know way more than their boss does...