Notices

Boat Show Postponed

Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Boat Show Postponed

The Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show has been postponed until further notice after a stronger-than-expected Hurricane Wilma pummeled South Florida, the Show Management office said today.

Officials say Wilma was the worst hurricane to hit the area in 50 years.

A Category 3 with 115 mph winds, the hurricane on Monday crashed into the southwestern coast then raced toward Miami-Dade and Broward counties on the state’s Atlantic coast, ripping off roofs, flooding streets and knocking down power lines. Local sources say the area is devastated.

Reached this morning by cell phone, show organizer Kaye Pearson says crews started clean-up efforts at the show sites Monday afternoon after the fast-moving Wilma went offshore. Pearson had indicated this morning he may have more specific information later today, but around noontime the show office was advising callers that the show had been postponed. A temporary show office has been set up in a trailer on site, which is equipped with six working telephone lines. The number to call for information is (954) 527-9332.

Show Management’s Web site was not operational today but information also will be posted on the county’s Web site, www.broward.org, Margaret Stapleton of Broward County Emergency Operations Center said today. The show last week was postponed from Wednesday until Saturday in anticipation of the storm. Even if the show goes on, several related events have been cancelled.

The area’s major airports — Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood and Miami International — are closed until further notice. Even when the airports are opened, travelers are advised to contact their airlines, since some flights might not be operating.

Some 6 million customers are without power and officials say it could be four weeks before it is restored. Many communities are without water. The city of Fort Lauderdale is under a boil water restriction.

The Fort Lauderdale Police Department has issued a 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. curfew until further notice. Miami-Dade county residents have an 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew. Other communities have curfews as well, and Coral Springs also has a ban on alcohol sales until further notice.

Most schools and businesses are closed. The Fort Lauderdale beach today is closed.

Should the big boat show not go on, it will be a blow to the industry but not an insurmountable one, says the nation's biggest boatbuilder. "The loss of any boat show is unfortunate for all of us, but the industry has proven to be resilient in all cases and it could overcome the loss of the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show, if that were to happen," said Dustan E. McCoy, president of the Brunswick Boat Group, in a statement.

Broward County officials today say that recovery is a priority. Some 15 sites have been designated as distribution points for water, ice and tarps. Emergency management officials are urging residents to stay off the roadways while cleanup crews remove debris from the street. Traffic signals are without power and crews are working to clear debris from the streets.

President Bush on Monday declared parts of Florida a major disaster area, paving the way for federal funds to help with clean-up efforts.

— JoAnn W. Goddard

[email protected]
Old 10-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boat Show Postponed

Bad news! I know some people affiliated with OSO were involved with this boat show.

I hope you guys are still able to have the parties and forget about all the problems Wilma has caused for you...at least for a few hours!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:21 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

curfews and lack of electricity probably will limit the parties as well...

i cancelled my reservations hoping for the best but fearing the worst...
Old 10-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the update! I am cancelling my tickets and will have to re-scheule. I hope everyone is okay there
Old 10-25-2005, 12:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no water or electricity in broward county, 0%! it is projected that it will be 4 weeks before power is restored, as of yesterday. i talked to my bro. that lives in ft. lauderdale yesterday, and that is what he said. cant reach him now b/c he is unable to charge his phone.

steve, you got power on with the genny?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Registered

I hope the airlines have loosend up their policies, last I heard Northwest was saying that you could reschedule to the same destination if you traveled by the early part of November. That's ridiculous!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:28 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
I hope the airlines have loosend up their policies, last I heard Northwest was saying that you could reschedule to the same destination if you traveled by the early part of November. That's ridiculous!
i was just given credit with no timetable to use it... they wouldn't refund it, but thats okay..
Old 10-26-2005, 10:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

water is back on in lauderdale...