Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   cant beat a deal like this (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115490-cant-beat-deal-like.html)

seanv 10-31-2005 11:19 PM

cant beat a deal like this

well here i am a month of owning a 31 a.o. and i've spent most my time working on the damn thing. i did buy the a.o. that cumberland marine had. they said it was a 2004 and took a picture of the gauges showing 49hours.
well....both superchargers were shot and im in the process of putting the engines back together. not what you expect from buying a 2 year old boat.
so will i ever send someone there to look at a boat...not a chance in hell!! i lost a fun and fast daytona to a broken down 1/2 a**ed rigged broken down p.o.s.
gee thanks cumberland!
i do want to thank some of the guys here for the information and help they've given.

jb 11-01-2005 08:35 AM

Re: cant beat a deal like this

did you look at the boat before you bought it???

If it was a Half azzed rigged boat why did you buy it?

seanv 11-01-2005 10:44 AM

unfortunately i took their pictures to gospel and drove 1900 miles one way. 830 at night when I got it, didn't really get to look at it until I got home, another 1900 miles. figured I'd be safe dealing with a dealer. Guess I was wrong.

CigDaze 11-01-2005 11:15 AM

Welcome to the board, Sean. Sorry for your troubles, hope you find this an informative place.

I have to tell you though, buying a boat sight unseen, and especially not sea-trialing, is treading in dangerous waters.

Was the misrepresented in any way? Or just not what you expected?

In any event, I hope you get things sorted out.

:cool:

Son of a Gun 11-01-2005 11:42 AM

We bought our Cig from Lake Cumberland Marine and didn't really have any issues. We went down and sea trialed the boat, along with having a survey done. Any issues we had with the boat, we had them take care of before we did the deal, and they came through. A dealer will do/fix whatever they can to make a deal go through.

seanv 11-01-2005 06:29 PM

well this was a long distance deal and i guess i was wrong for trusting them. i've dealt with dealers closer to home and have never been let down like this. i even called one of them about this and they were shocked that cumberland would treat a customer in this fashion.
as far as missrepresentation goes... if i tell you i have a 2004 for sale with 49hours what would you expect to purchase? would you think both superchargers would be shot? would you expect any major failures at all? hell most of the gauges dont even work.
once again my fault for trusting them and for not asking them to do a daytime delivery.
as far as this site.. i've chatted with a few guys who have been very helpful and have given very sound advice. i guess i got spoiled dealing with boat brokers and eliminator!!! this is like dealing with a slimey used car lot

seanv 11-01-2005 09:37 PM

another members post
whoa...
i guess we all need to be on guard against "shady" deals....
your situation stinks....but you're doing the right thing..WARN OTHERS!!
...only the consumer can put a stop to that kind of stuff....best of luck with an AWESOME hull...the old chriscrafts/cats could really pounce!
...remember:motors will wear out faster than a great hull....
c
my reply
yep i tried being the nice guy and talked calm and made reasonable requests to have this rebuilt by a dealer i trust but they just kept blowing me off. well im going to make sure everyone knows how cumberland marine does business as well as make reports to the authorities. what could have been an easy fix and chance for them to shine has turned into a very negative experience that everyone needs to know about!

US1 Fountain 11-01-2005 10:00 PM

Have you made contact with LCM over this since your findings, or is it an as-is deal?

Sorry about your dealings.

seanv 11-01-2005 10:22 PM

yes i have and i spoke with randy personally and his reply is "sorry i dont know what to tell you. i cant put any more money in that boat." i was beeing nice and only asking for these engines to be re-built so they were in fact 2004-49 hour engines or as close as that could be. these engines are 1998 model engines and were ran, broken, 1/2 azz repaired and that repair is now worn to failure. one of the engines had a major failure and needs a full rebuild. and no help from lake cumberland marine!!!

fatdaddy 11-01-2005 11:39 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

seanv 11-01-2005 11:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here's the boat in question and these are the pix they sent me!

blownboat 11-02-2005 12:02 AM

A boat like that is peanuts to them,you would think they would take care of you just to avoid bad publicity! :cool:

seanv 11-02-2005 12:09 AM

one would think at worst case 20k to fix this thing and a customer telling everyone how great they are is cheaper than tons of negative press and explaining yourself to everyone who asks why your treating paying customers like that.

aquaforce 11-02-2005 12:19 AM

I would think there is certain recourse in your favor if it can be proven that the engines were in fact 98 model instead of 04 model.

Good luck with your situation.

seanv 11-02-2005 10:57 AM

Well, guys, it gets better. I have proof now that in 2004 when the boat was built, the engines were used then. Looks like the courts have to take over as Cumberland won't do the right thing. This could have been so easy. Have the engines re-built was all I was looking for. Now it's a nightmare.

OldSchool 11-02-2005 11:48 AM

That's unfortunate for that to happen to you. I find it hard to understand why people can't just sell a boat for what it is :( :mad: Word of mouth is a very strong thing. Blowers don't wear out in 49 hours!!!

I could be wrong, but haven't there been a few other people who bought boats from there that felt that they were taken advantage of? I remember a thread where a guy bought a boat and it had junk engines in it not too long ago and they had the same response to him. Alot of LCM's past customers chimed in on that thread about how happy they were with their dealings with LCM.

HERE IS THE BEST BOAT BUYING ADVICE THAT YOU CAN GET FOLKS.....GET A SURVEY AND DO A SEA TRIAL!!!!

LIOPA 11-02-2005 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
HERE IS THE BEST BOAT BUYING ADVICE THAT YOU CAN GET FOLKS.....GET A SURVEY AND DO A SEA TRIAL!!!!

YUP!

ESPECIALLY on a long distance deal like that.

You could have had the problems fixed prior to closing the deal or NO DEAL

US1 Fountain 11-02-2005 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by seanv
Well, guys, it gets better. I have proof now that in 2004 when the boat was built, the engines were used then. Looks like the courts have to take over as Cumberland won't do the right thing. This could have been so easy. Have the engines re-built was all I was looking for. Now it's a nightmare.

Did LCM advertise these as '04 motors, knowing they were not? Or were they mislead also, on the original trade in of that boat?
Since you are alredy into the motors, will that effect your case? I don't know, just asking.

waterheater 11-02-2005 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool

If possible an engine compression test as well to add to the list. We had one done and it proved satisfactory

plumbers crack 11-02-2005 05:29 PM

Im not trying to rub salt in your wounds but,never get emotionaly involved in a purchase,you have to have an attitude that if the deal is meant to be than its meant to be.when you lose your head bad things happen.And I know how hard it is not to be excited about buying something,thats supposed to be the good part right! good luck with everything.Sue the sob.

seanv 11-24-2005 12:22 AM

well guys, some very good points have been made here and they have been heard at LCM. i started the paperwork with the a.g. and am waiting for those results. as for cumberland marine.... well i hope everyone who deals with them looks deep, hard or sends a non biased person to inspect their prospective purchase. i gave them several fair ways to fix this problem now it's out of my hands.i still cant believe a dealer would treat a paying customer with a legit gripe this way. really wish i never traded my daytona!!!! lcm is terrible in my opinion.

GOODT 11-24-2005 04:51 AM

sorry to hear about your problems that realy sucks, stupid question, did you have the boat surveyed when you bought it and did they do an engine survey ?????

Catagory5 11-24-2005 07:52 AM

I'm sorry to hear your deal went wrong. I'm sure your upset and out some unexpected money.

I don't think any dealer should misrepresent thier products.

However, you were buying a used boat.
Did they own the boat or was it a brokerage boat?
Did they give you every opportunity to have the boat surveyed?
Did they have you sign a waiver of survey?
Did you sign a form saying you were buying the boat as is with no warranties expressed or implied?
What did you pay for the boat?

I just don't think it's fair to blast ANY dealer without all the facts. There are always two sides to every story.

How about taking some personal responsibility. Should making a bad decision on the buyers part make it the dealer/broker/previous owners financial responsibility to fix your boat? And if it does for how long? A month after you buy it? A year?

I don't mean this to offend anyone but I just don't think it's right to blanketly trash someone because someone FEELS they got a bad deal. Just my $.02

f311fr1 11-24-2005 08:10 AM

I know more than one person that has been burned by LCM. Verbal deal that materializes into something other than what was agreed on. They have been sued & lost with judgment against LCM and no $ changed hands 2 years later. Some of their sales people are ex NM. In my opinion they are ripe to be the next National Marine. They bring a lot of $ into a small town and I think you will have a very hard time collecting any $ even with a favorable judgment. Joe Murray

Edward R. Cozzi 11-24-2005 08:12 AM

Attn: you used boat buyers:

Stop rolling the dice when you're spending your hard-earned.

For the price of a round-trip ticket and my normal survey and sea trial fees, I will pack-up my moisture meter, compression and leak-down equipment and ECM scanner and tap on my many years of experience with our kind of boat to make sure you get what you're paying for.

Many times the money I save you is far more than you spend with me.

Buying a boat is an emotional experience. It must, however, be purchased with one's brain rather than the heart. Take advantage of me...I like it!

Ed

RHC 11-24-2005 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Catagory5
I'm sorry to hear your deal went wrong. I'm sure your upset and out some unexpected money.

I don't think any dealer should misrepresent thier products.

However, you were buying a used boat.
Did they own the boat or was it a brokerage boat?
Did they give you every opportunity to have the boat surveyed?
Did they have you sign a waiver of survey?
Did you sign a form saying you were buying the boat as is with no warranties expressed or implied?
What did you pay for the boat?

I just don't think it's fair to blast ANY dealer without all the facts. There are always two sides to every story.

How about taking some personal responsibility. Should making a bad decision on the buyers part make it the dealer/broker/previous owners financial responsibility to fix your boat? And if it does for how long? A month after you buy it? A year?

I don't mean this to offend anyone but I just don't think it's right to blanketly trash someone because someone FEELS they got a bad deal. Just my $.02

Why?? Why?? Why??? The man went to a Dealer ,,,, The Dealer (who is a Professional and expert) made representations as to the condition ,,, year,, and engine hours,,, end of story ,,, he did not need a survey ,,, the dealer made statements of fact as to the condition of the boat,,,, end of story.. Its time to be unaccountable for their actions !!

RHC

Catagory5 11-24-2005 09:00 AM

[QUOTE=RHC]Why?? Why?? Why??? The man went to a Dealer ,,,, The Dealer (who is a Professional and expert) made representations as to the condition ,,, year,, and engine hours,,, end of story ,,, he did not need a survey ,,, the dealer made statements of fact as to the condition of the boat,,,, end of story.. Its time to be unaccountable for their actions !!

RHC[/QUOTE

Tell you insurance company that... I don't need a survey "I'm telling you what the condition of my boat is." See what they have to say.. My point here is everyone is hearing ONE side of a story.

And to answer your question directly WHY? Because it makes sense and would have saved him a lot of money and aggravation that's why.

If the boat was brokered the dealer/broker can only represent the boat as it is represented to him by the owner.

When I was in the brokerage business I INSISTED on a survey esp on long distance deals. PICTURES LIE, AND PEOPLE HEAR WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR. Surveys save EVERYONE aggravation.

I couldn't agree more with the being responsible for your actions. And i did ask, did the BUYER sign a waiver of survey? Did the BUYER sign an as is waiver? Who is responsible for that? Did the dealer/broker hold a gun to the buyers head?

Bottom line is a survey is the best insurance policy you can have and if you chose not to "waste your money" or at least have the motors check by a reputable mechanic then shame on you.

bgchuby01 11-24-2005 09:12 AM

I deal with Randy every week hauling boats for him either sold or for work to be done. Randy is one of the more stand up guys out there. Numerous people in my boat club (scope) have bought boats from him and I have never heard a negative thing. There has to be more to the story than is being heard here. Jeff Murray

Dave M 11-24-2005 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by seanv
they were in fact 2004-49 hour engines or as close as that could be. these engines are 1998 model engines and were ran, broken, 1/2 azz repaired and that repair is now worn to failure. one of the engines had a major failure and needs a full rebuild. and no help from lake cumberland marine!!!

What model engines are they? I'm not sure if there were any merc engines that were offered in 1998 that were still available in 2004?? From the pic they look like "black" motors with blowers added.

RHC 11-24-2005 12:15 PM

Cat 5,, I don't disagree with your statements or logic,,, I say Why!! from the position that He States , that the dealer made representations ,,,,, the As Is conditions were never mentioned here,,, Could there be more to this story,,, I am sure there is ,,, but,,, if you tell me the boat is White and the motors are black and the year is 2004 ,, then,, I believe you!!! You better be right !! :D thats where I am coming from ..,,, :D

RHC

RHC 11-24-2005 12:20 PM

and,,, to open a whole new can of worms,,, I hear way to often that a Survey missed something ,,, and ,,, guess who gets stuck!! It is a buyer beware on anything used !! but ,, the Surveyer will not be liable for something he or she missed... just dont happen!!! So ---- the dealer made reprenstations and the buyer believed him!!!

Maybe! :D :rolleyes: Who really knows!!

RHC

birdog 11-24-2005 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Attn: you used boat buyers:

Stop rolling the dice when you're spending your hard-earned.

For the price of a round-trip ticket and my normal survey and sea trial fees, I will pack-up my moisture meter, compression and leak-down equipment and ECM scanner and tap on my many years of experience with our kind of boat to make sure you get what you're paying for.

Many times the money I save you is far more than you spend with me.

Buying a boat is an emotional experience. It must, however, be purchased with one's brain rather than the heart. Take advantage of me...I like it!

Ed

Thats great advice......But......None of that would have turned up all that was wrong with my "Fresh" engines...So...It's always a gamble.....That being said....If they are not 2004 with low hours, Thats Fraud No ?

105mph_38_2003 11-24-2005 01:34 PM

Sorry to hear they got to you :mad:

I thought LCM was a much more reputable dealer than to pull some crap like this....Who was your original sales person?

Catagory5 11-24-2005 03:24 PM

Did anyone ever notice that every boat someone buys is a piece of cr*p and every boat they sell is perfect? :rolleyes:

God am I glad I'm out of that business!!!!!!! :woohoo:

MikeyFIN 11-24-2005 03:45 PM

I´m Glad I´m outta of it too...
What´ve learned from the marine industry ..you can´t trust on anyones former reputatation, NO_ONE.

seanv 11-24-2005 07:14 PM

i want to thank everyone for their opinions on this matter. to get some facts in the open. 2004 with 49hours. that in my book told me it was a new boat and no need to worry when buying from a big dealer. serial numbers on the engines are matched set that were assembled in 1997 and put into service in 1998 and not in an American offshore. way too many issues and when this settles i'll let everyone know how it goes.i hope it's going to be a post filled with praise for a company that stands by their product and took care of a mistake. it's only fair that people have these forums to seek advice on matters and share experiences so that we all can make better decisions. thanks again

pullmytrigger 11-24-2005 07:36 PM

.........sorry to hear about your troubles :(
for what its worth ......Im in agreemwnt.........1 yr old boat.......49hrs......what else needs to be said????

So if the above logic about buying a used boat is true........if I buy a used car from the big GM dealership down the street and they say its a 2004 with 5000 miles on it, its up to ME to verify all this????.......and they have NO responsibility whatsoever????......just askin'

So was it a brokerage boat???

seanv 11-24-2005 07:59 PM

when a dealer sells it for someone. this was not brokered.and to clear other questions. i've been in contact with them since day one asking for them to make it right. not asking them for new merc engines. i'm being nice and asking for them to pay to have these re-built by a builder here. i think thats more than fair given the price of a new merc engine.

Steve_H 11-24-2005 08:02 PM

hope it works out.
sounds like LCM got duped also.

seanv 11-24-2005 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_H
hope it works out.
sounds like LCM got duped also.

i do believe that but why pass it on to a customer??????