Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outboard powered boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/116790-outboard-powered-boats.html)

tripps 11-20-2005 07:32 PM

Re: Outboard powered boats

I ran bbchevs for years,went to ob,s cause of a great deal,i would not go back,surprise surprise,just gas and go,a powerhead is alot easier and cheaper to change than pullin out a 800 lb lump of cast iron!!! don't shoot me yet,but the otherhand no ob can keep up with a pair of blown chevies in a 30 plus cat!! I live on the bay and most of the time i hear the obs flyin and a large amount of i/os just pushin water,makin alot of noise,but there are some exceptions tripps

Johno 11-20-2005 08:04 PM

Have a pair of 250 EFI's, love em! You can't beat OB's for the ease of maintenance. Not having to climb in a bilge has it's benefits. Fuel consumption ain't that bad either.

ChiToWn TapouT 11-20-2005 08:15 PM

Doug Wright
AMT
Seems like these 30-32' boats run just fine in
the ocean.

mopower 11-20-2005 09:20 PM

Nothin' beats the sound of a pair of big blocks , from idle to WFO. But they gotta be easier to work on and changing an engine can't be much harder than changing an outdrive. Winterizing...a piece of cake like X-rated 30 said. I've had eggbeaters and they do have advantages. Switched to big blocks 12 years ago for the sound , but could go back :rolleyes:

Brad Zastrow 11-20-2005 10:08 PM

I own one of each. A cat with twin O/B's and a cat with twin blower engines. Under 30' on a cat the O/B is the way to go. If you insist on the going well over 100 mph than the blower engines are the way to go. For pure fun the O/B cat is a blast on lakes.

LubeJobs42 11-20-2005 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I own one of each. A cat with twin O/B's and a cat with twin blower engines. Under 30' on a cat the O/B is the way to go. If you insist on the going well over 100 mph than the blower engines are the way to go. For pure fun the O/B cat is a blast on lakes.

I think you should put Promaxs on your new MTI!!!

skaterjim 11-21-2005 06:00 AM

I have a 28 skater with 300x's it is really alot of fun. gas n go doesnt use to much fuel. i have 245hrs on them nothing has broken as of yet. will never go as fast as big blocks but alot less money in maintnance gas and initial cost. its a real fun boat to drive. can cruise at 80 to 100 mph. this past saturday it ran its best speed ever 121.7gps (with 245hrs) totaly stock I have to say Diamond marine (Marty and JOE) deserve all the credit they set the boat up!

rush 11-21-2005 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like mine,but I miss my 502s.

Brad Zastrow 11-21-2005 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
I think you should put Promaxs on your new MTI!!!

To get to 2000 ponies I do not think seven 300X Promaxs will fit on the back. And then I would need 45 pitch props to get to 160. :D

I love these eggbeaters!

X-Driver 11-21-2005 11:59 AM

Nothing like the sound of 2.5 Mercs running at 7000+ rpm!!!!
X-driver

If anyone is interested, I have 2 2005 X motors for sale.
PM if interested