Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outboard powered boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/116790-outboard-powered-boats.html)

dreamboater 11-22-2005 07:58 PM

Re: Outboard powered boats

As said above, as far as cost and longevity is concerned, I dont think there is a better way to run over 100mph than with O/B. I run a pair of 300 promax's on a 28 Skater, best speed to date 2 weeks ago 111.3, with a pair of 300x's you can see the 120 mark. Quite honestly it will take a ton of motor in a single engine cat to run more speed than that. Winterization is a big plus.......there isnt any :D :D

Skaterjim - Congrats on the speed!!!

Havasu Cig 11-22-2005 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by skaterjim
I have a 28 skater with 300x's it is really alot of fun. gas n go doesnt use to much fuel. i have 245hrs on them nothing has broken as of yet. will never go as fast as big blocks but alot less money in maintnance gas and initial cost. its a real fun boat to drive. can cruise at 80 to 100 mph. this past saturday it ran its best speed ever 121.7gps (with 245hrs) totaly stock I have to say Diamond marine (Marty and JOE) deserve all the credit they set the boat up!

I have an 04 with X's and I am in the middle of dialing it in. I am running 5.5" jack plates at 1.5" above the bottom. With 15x33 labbed Merc 3 blade cleavers I ran it 117 two weeks ago(heavy on fuel on fresh glassy water).

What props are you running? and is my set-up close to yours by chance?

BTW, I have owned both I/O's and O/B's and the O/B's are more fun IMO.

Tantrum 11-22-2005 08:28 PM

This was my first season running outboards and they did great by me. As far as sounding "sexy", well, not sold there yet, I still like the big block sound.

Allan4 :D ; gotta love it.

packinair 11-22-2005 08:57 PM

my OB cat is only about a G a year

cookee 11-22-2005 11:23 PM

With the price of fuel in England outboards or inboard deisels are the way to go - I get 70 mph from a 200 hp outboard in the race boat and 60 mph from a 225 Optimax in the leisure version - not bad for an offshore boat that will cope with a force 6 offshore!

Steve Zuckerman 11-23-2005 10:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sign4Boat:
Yes it did. That was Mike Gay's Quartermaster. He and Willy were the Mirage dealers out of Louisville for a while.
I hadn't seen them or the boat in years. Mike and his son had quit racing. A mutual friend from Frankfort told me it was for sale. It had sat in a barn for 3 years.
I remembered that Brad Collins had built them a very nice Qship. Bare hull weight was 500lbs.
I totally rerigged it bow eye to propnut. It was the best race boat I ever owned. It ran 119.85 @ 6.07 at Smokin in the Cove 3 years ago. That's a 1000' course, which is a football field and end zone LESS than a 1/4. That was also at 500HP (single stage) with a motor that had another 110HP unused.
We messed up some inboards with it. Here's one of my old S&F avatars. It's in Ohio now. I hated letting it go, but it is a dangerours sport. A friend of mine got killed the year after I hung up the helmet, which convinced me I made right decision.
The pretty Jaguar won wild paint job of the year in Hot boat a few years ago. It's in Florida now. Should have kept that one!
Regards,
Steve

dreamboater 11-23-2005 11:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
As far as Thrills this boat seems to do it for me.

dreamboater 11-23-2005 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Havasu Cig
I have an 04 with X's and I am in the middle of dialing it in. I am running 5.5" jack plates at 1.5" above the bottom. With 15x33 labbed Merc 3 blade cleavers I ran it 117 two weeks ago(heavy on fuel on fresh glassy water).

What props are you running? and is my set-up close to yours by chance?

BTW, I have owned both I/O's and O/B's and the O/B's are more fun IMO.

Not to speak for Jim, but I bet if you raised the motors about 1/4" and run the boat dry on fuel and run a set of 15x34's, I think you will see very close numbers. I really liked your hull mounted water pickups. I have been thinking about doing the same.

skaterjim 11-23-2005 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by dreamboater
Not to speak for Jim, but I bet if you raised the motors about 1/4" and run the boat dry on fuel and run a set of 15x34's, I think you will see very close numbers. I really liked your hull mounted water pickups. I have been thinking about doing the same.

hey Wayne good shots of your boat ,looks like your running real well thats the best #s ive heard with 300 promaxs . your right 1/4 " or so and some good 34 props and 120 or more is possible. keep in touch , look forward to boating with you .