Notices

Who has stuffed a boat?

Old 11-15-2001, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Stuffing is nothing to joke about, in the mid 90's I ran a prospective client out in a triple bridgport 33' Powerplay. In the winter the winds shift to the south and just off the beach the ocean is like a pond. However, out on the horizon in the Gulfstream the elephants were marching. I played for over an hour showing off what the boat could handle !! Yahoo, what a time we had launching off the huge roller's.
I starded back in and the buyer asked if he could run the boat. I let him, and he quickly brought the boat up to 70mph in a following sea.
We came up the backside of a huge roller and I was waiting for the end acceleration to launch us to the next swell, it never came. The bow dipped and stuffed into the back of the next huge roller and I hit the dirt as 3' of green seawater came rushing up the deck.
Fortunatly although his throttle timing sucked he knew enough to throttle up and power out from under the wave. Everyone was soaked but me, 2 pairs of sunglasses were gone and a couple of cell phones got destroid.
Thankfully nobody was injured, except his pride.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:12 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Stuffed my Canopied Phantom at slow speed coming into an unfamiliar inlet after a race in Florida. It was like being in a fish bowl looking out the canopy.

There are two types of stuffs talked about here. A stuff that happens when your going too slow for the water conditions and those that are caused by a transom trip at high speed.

The high speed ones were generally caused by too much trim for the conditions or going too fast. The slow speed ones are cause by not enough speed or hull length.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:15 PM
searace

Stuffed a 28 Apache with Eric Froberg. Awoke in the Avantura Medical Ctr. Bent one of Byngs helms with my head... Not a good day. Eric broke a rib or two.

Old 01-25-2003, 05:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

stuffed a 42 excalibur on lake erie during a storm had to much tab down a rouge wave came rolled over deck shattered windsheild filled cabin with aprox 2 foot of water.Limped back to boblo island with cuts all over wife and myself.all the cruisers in harbor stayed in port that day should of did the same.wife is not much of a boater for good reasons
Old 01-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Tom
Registered

Stuff my batboat all the time. Usually just a foot or so of water across the bow, but one time submerged big time. Was coming in from outside the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco Bay running around 70 in six footers. Right at about the Bridge (north end has very wierd water most the time) I hit about a ten footer at about four foot below the crest. It was the wierdest feeling as we watched the wave go across the bow and then right past us. Stuffing a batboat doesn't seem so bad, it is flying off a wave and barrol rolling that scares me. Most stuffs in my boat happen when following waves and coming upon the bigger wave in the bunch.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went out of New Smyrna inlet with strong on shore wind. Tide was going out too. 24' Cigarette running 35-40 mph or so. Nothing real big going out till I made the turn at the lighthouse. Huge steep breaking waves. Came off first wave and dove straight into second one. Two foot of water over the bow hit windshield and filled cockpit with ankle deep water.

Made a u-turn right there between waves before the next set got there. Throttle to wall, both bilge pumps running. Boat wouldn't move because of all the water weight in bilge and the sea building behind us. Suddenly broke loose of the suction and boat started to accelerate. We were out running the waves then.

Never again, very scarey. Thank god for two 900 gph bilge pumps, lots of HP and a Cigarette hull. My 30+ years of running in rough water and nasty inlets I'm sure helped too.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:45 PM
Registered

Stuff from Key West a couple of years ago. (Sorry it's such a bad pic)
Attached Thumbnails Who has stuffed a boat?-p1220029.jpg  
Old 01-25-2003, 09:38 PM
Registered

Any of you guys that know Vic from wells st. well he stuffed his baja 270 force coulple of years ago, blew out bolth sides of the windshield pump ran for about 40 min. he says he still finds glass every now and then, I stuffed my first boat just a little 19 ft. bayliner, what was scary about that was it was a open bow, like draging a pail through the water, made it through ok though,
Old 01-25-2003, 11:05 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I stuffed my 33 Donzi about 8 or nine years ago on the Columbia River Gorge. We were running about 45 or so in a following 3 to 5 ft chop. I thought we were through the big stuff, so I started to relax a little and enjoy the scenery. Big mistake. I looked forward in time to yell duck! Stern tripped and stuffed the bow big time.

Tore off the canvas and shattered the windshield. One second we are sweating, next second we are shaking cold with water running out of our noses. The guy standing between the bolsters is washed on his a$$. The canvas gets hung up in one prop and kills the engine. The wind is howling. My engine alarm is going off, I don't know why, (canvas around prop). The boat gets side ways in the chop, can't hardley stand because the boat is rolling back and forth so hard. My other crew member disappears downstairs comes back up wearing a pfd and hands tham out to the rest of us!

All the water that came over the bow ended up washing into the cabin. All of our colthes and stuff were floating in about a foot of water sloshing around downstairs.

Able to get on the back side of a big rock out of the wind, My buddy frees up the prop, we pitch all the broken glass, then proceed on our 300 mile trip to Tri Cities WA for the Unlimited Hydro Races.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:45 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

wow this is an old thread. My boat was still running when this was first posted........

It will live again this summer!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Who has stuffed a boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.