Notices

Open Ocean Racing

Old 12-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Open Ocean Racing

Originally Posted by ratman
if they did put on a true run what ya bring offshore race. like ft laud to bimini or similar that i could run my mistress in, i would jump at the chance knowing i stand a chance in big water. the other boats would be heavy wave crushers not the light layup stuff, have a cat classs and a stepped and non stepped v class. no gps old school racing. even if it was only one or a few races a year it would be good tv viewing just like the apache challenge. how much cash would it take to put on an event like this? given the fact a lot of folks would surely donate time and money to put it together.
No classes, otherewise you'd get into rules that govern that class, and the mess starts all over again. Run what you brung, and if you were the first say single v bottom, you can take pleasure in knowing that.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Boat racing will never have a huge following, it's like airplane racing...nobody except airplane owners care and only a few of them are into it, therefore there are no $$ in it for the boat manufacturers. I can't see them participating in this sport much more than they already do.
I agree to a certain extent, but a lot more people own boats than airplanes! Granted it will never be as big as Nascar because almost everyone owns a car. But I have a lot of friends that don't own boats that like to watch boat racing.

Furthermore, it could have a MUCH BIGGER following! I used to love wathcing the offshore races 3-4 years ago when they were on speedchannel. Hell I'd get up early on Sunday even with my hangover to watch and tape them. 7-10(or more) boats in the classes and some GOOD deck to deck racing. Now I could care less, there's a race on at 4pm today and I probably won't even watch it.

Edward R. Cozzi is right, multiple sanctioning bodies has ruined it. If done/marketed right I think a long distance race could bring a lot of publicity to the sport!

I would love to see some Factory type racing but that would probably never happen right away. So if you want run what ya brung then just break them into size classes for cats and Vs. That's it, no other "rules". No stepped V seperation, no power or drive limits, nothing but size. Simple and straightforward and no worries of cheating.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
No classes, otherewise you'd get into rules that govern that class, and the mess starts all over again. Run what you brung, and if you were the first say single v bottom, you can take pleasure in knowing that.
I disagree, you need some size classes. Nothing else. Otherwise you have nothing more than a glorified poker run with no cards!
Old 12-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by noboat
I disagree, you need some size classes. Nothing else. Otherwise you have nothing more than a glorified poker run with no cards!
And what's wrong with that? May the best man win.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Registered

It doesn't give much incentive for the smaller boats to come out and play. More incentive=more boats=more exposure IMO.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:32 AM
RHC
Registered

Lots of good thoughts here,, A few of my own,, Mark B talks about Grand Haven to Wis and back,, that needs to be expanded on,,, the on common request here is to get Fans involved and then sponsors ,,, The Poker Runs work because they are simple ,, Bill Taylor has brought the crowds into the Thousand Islands Runs .. Why?? because each town ,, read stop,,, has its own thing going for it ... then the business owners win!!

Maybe the Race needs to take on a three day format with lots of activities in the marinas where they overnight,, with start times for each group and courses that take them close to shore where viewing can be accommodated .. this would work on the Great Lakes ,,, or South Fla. or the Calif coast and it could all be sold to the networks if marketed right ..

RHC
Old 12-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the racers pay their own expences with some small help from sponsers. If they want to race out in the open ocean, that's their choice to make. I don't see how it would help the spectators though. We want to see the boats more than once when they idle out of the harbor. If it's a destination race, we won't even get to see the finish. I think that Key West is the ideal format. The course goes out far enough that racers have to deal with rough water, then they come back in where the fans can see them. The pits are open so we can look at the boats. The racers are accessable, we even see them around the town at night. And of course the town is so much fun. In 04, when all the groups were there, all of the classes had plenty of boats.

Maybe you might want to have the occasional race offshore somewhere, but if you're trying to build a fan base, closer in is necessary.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

break it down into length classes, for example an manufacturer may have a great 35 footer but ther 42 footer, has issues. I think thre would have to be limits for HP as well, not on drives or set ups, just top HP. for example a 38 footer with 1000's would be faster than a 38 footer with 525's.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Most of the racers pay their own expences with some small help from sponsers. If they want to race out in the open ocean, that's their choice to make. I don't see how it would help the spectators though. We want to see the boats more than once when they idle out of the harbor. If it's a destination race, we won't even get to see the finish. I think that Key West is the ideal format. The course goes out far enough that racers have to deal with rough water, then they come back in where the fans can see them. The pits are open so we can look at the boats. The racers are accessable, we even see them around the town at night. And of course the town is so much fun. In 04, when all the groups were there, all of the classes had plenty of boats.

Maybe you might want to have the occasional race offshore somewhere, but if you're trying to build a fan base, closer in is necessary.
This would be geared more for television, which i think is the way to go for a larger following. Cuda made an excellent point.

Which do you think brings the NFL more advertising dollars? The 70 thousand or so in the stands, or the millions watching on TV?
Old 12-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
if telivision can make "american choppers" a success it could do the same for an offshore event of this magnitude. the personalities are there, teh thrill of the machinery...cockpit cams, have drive cams for petes sake, they have shock cams in nascar and in nhra they mount them on the wings to film the blower explosions...

Dont you mean" build a bare wood boat" on oln, Which would you rather watch??

Quick Reply: Open Ocean Racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.