Open Ocean Racing

Old 12-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Default Re: Open Ocean Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda
I still say no classes, no restrictions. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. Nobody in the general public will care who had the fastest31 foot, single step, twin engines making less than 500 hp, with props spinning in class. Everyone wants to see the big dogs. The rest of the boats are just for the enjoyment of the owner of the boat. The public won't care. The public won't care if it's a v hull, a cat, piston driven or turbine powered, if it's a conventional drive, or a surface drive.

The only thing they want to know is who was the first one to cross the finish line.
To an extent I agree but you do it that way I don't think you will have enough boats to make it happen. Plus I think the public would like to watch the "little" boats catching some BIG air, I know I do!

Also, a lot of boat owners out there RELATE to the smaller boats because they own one. I loved watching the Factory 1 races because I could relate to it and the guyz have some big ballz!

It wouldn't be that hard to have say a up to 30', 30-35', 35-40' and a 40'+ classes for both V and Cat. NO other restrictions, period. Plus this would get A LOT more manufacturers involved. Boats like Activator, Kryptonite, Warlock, etc etc would care less if it's going to be all 40-50' boats racing. The more involved the better IMO.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
there has to be a discriminating factor to set them apart, a run what ya brung will more than likely yield to the person/owner that has the most money. In stock car racing, the rules are "each car is "supposed" to be the same... Maybe designate them starting at different times according to top speeds.
Like I said before, I would love to see "Factory" type racing for this. I just don't think there would be enough interest. But you will definitely want an open class. That would bring out a lot of boats!
Old 12-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
a run what ya brung will more than likely yield to the person/owner that has the most money.speeds.
So?? If there are only a half dozen boats making it, it would be more entertaining than watching 70 boats of all different classes, half racing at the same time would be.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Registered

My Boats: boatless... with money in the bank!!

TIMEOUT

everybody go and watch the apache offshore challenge in the vip forum

then we will reconvine to discuss
Old 12-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered

Quote:
So?? If there are only a half dozen boats making it, it would be more entertaining than watching 70 boats of all different classes, half racing at the same time would be.
I couldn't disagree more. Not many people would tune in to watch a handful of boats race on TV IMO. I don't care how fast they are.

In a race like this all the classes could be out there at the same time because there will be no "lapped" traffic. Hell, you could even start the smaller/slower boats off first to make it more exciting when the big dogs pass them!
Old 12-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboat

Also, a lot of boat owners out there RELATE to the smaller boats because they own one. .
Sure, there will be small segment of the boat owners interested in smaller classes, but I guaran-damn-tee you that if you asked any member of the public who won the race the day before, the only one they will remember is the big dog.

I'm talking about a race to see who the King of the Sea is, not about a bunch of Princes.

How many of the casual Nascar fans watch ARCA races or even the Busch races? They watch the big boys.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Registered

Quote:
And none of the manufacturers of smaller boats would want to participate. Getting more manufacturers is the whole point!
Old 12-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
Sure, there will be small segment of the boat owners interested in smaller classes, but I guaran-damn-tee you that if you asked any member of the public who won the race the day before, the only one they will remember is the big dog.
That may be true but that doesn't mean that we can't have classes for other manufacturers to get involved for bragging rights and marketing. Then the public will still watch the big dogs but the smaller boats can compete too.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboat
And none of the manufacturers of smaller boats would want to participate. Getting more manufacturers is the whole point!
I don't think getting more manufacturers in is the main point. Getting real public interest in offshore racing should be the point.

Last edited by cuda; 12-04-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'

Quote:
we agree to disagree on that aspect of it