Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

Originally Posted by GregP
Damn. Now they are going to become valuable like vintage race cars. I had been thinking it would be neat to get an old race boat on the cheap, now everyone will be looking for one.

Best of luck with the venture anyway

-Greg
Greg
The main thing to remember here is that the star of the show is THE BOAT....that means the drivers/owners are just caretakers for the time they have the boat.

It helps keep a lot of the egos in check and everyone on the same level. The boats are famous over decades, drivers tend to drift away.

Get two or three people together and do a project. We want to have a lot of fun with this idea and the more people we have the better.

These old boats usually had a driver, throttleman and navigator. So there is room for three people to share in this and have a great time.

As the information on these old boats comes in, we wil be posting their locations and any other info we may have.

Welcome aboard, your getting in at the right time.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron P
Hopefully you talk Kurt into bring Dry Martini back out. These shots are two years old.

If it every goes for sale i`d buy it in a minute

I love that boat

Mike
Old 01-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Bob Nordskog's (Founder of Powerboat Magazine) "Holocaust" Resting Peacefully in Michigan.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-bob-n3.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-bob-n1.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-bob-n4.jpg  

Old 01-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-bob-n6.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-bob-n2.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-bob-n7.jpg  

Old 01-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.....someone should save that!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Nice name!...
Old 01-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to say we're in, but it looks like we're already on the list.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 29mirage; 01-11-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee
Bob Nordskog's (Founder of Powerboat Magazine) "Holocaust" Resting Peacefully in Michigan.
What a fabulous find....a real piece of history. I am going from memory here, so may be missing a few details.

Holocaust was actually built and campaigned by Merrick Lewis who owned Thuderbird boat co, later Thunderbird Formula boat co.

I can remember as a kid looking through the fence at this boat at the Miami plant...the same complex that Pantera is in now.

The boat was set up with twin engines in tandem driving a single shaft and prop. It was basically trying to do the same thing that our own HORBA board member Brownie did with a 28 foot Donzi...twin engines and one prop...but Brownie won the Miami Nassau race with his.

Holocaust had a big problem with trying to torque over on it's side. So to fix the problem they put two hydraulic legs that came down from the chines to stabilize the chine walk and torque steer.

When Nordskog bought the boat he took off those legs, but the cut for the legs in the chines should still be able to be seen, if you get near that boat again, check it out.

This boat is a wonderful find and would be a great addition to the HORBA membership. It even has a dark side to it's history. Bob Nordskog once had a crew member ride with him who was an English Lord or Earl or something....this guy later had Interpol looking for him as he was accused of murdering his children's nanny or something in a lover's spat.

Truth is stranger than fiction, especially in the the history of offshore racing.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
This boat was made out of aluminum by Broward Marine for Jerry Jacoby who ran Ajac Hawk. Maybe because it is aluminum it hasn't weathered too badly. I'm sure it would be less costly than a wooden cat of the same vintage.
Yep, lot of mistake made back in the day...........this one was 12K lbs dry. Was hacked and welded so many times the hull is 1 3/4 inches off from one side to the other, last time out at the Lake X before it was made a flower pot was a whopping 80mph four days before the Pt Pleasant race in 81'. Took the engines out put them in the vee and Jerry never looked back.

Sat on 188th street till I bought it from Jerry and parted it out, was going to scrap it and Ken Dennison of Broward didn't want it destroyed. I sold it to them for $3,000. Broward sold it and a guy from St Pete moved it here. Not sure if he still owns it. Had to have been over 6 years ago.

AC
Old 01-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Save the Old Race Boats

Originally Posted by Andrew Corn
Yep, lot of mistake made back in the day...........this one was 12K lbs dry. Was hacked and welded so many times the hull is 1 3/4 inches off from one side to the other, last time out at the Lake X before it was made a flower pot was a whopping 80mph four days before the Pt Pleasant race in 81'. Took the engines out put them in the vee and Jerry never looked back.

Sat on 188th street till I bought it from Jerry and parted it out, was going to scrap it and Ken Dennison of Broward didn't want it destroyed. I sold it to them for $3,000. Broward sold it and a guy from St Pete moved it here. Not sure if he still owns it. Had to have been over 6 years ago.

AC
Now we're getting some great stories. This is going to turn out to be the most interesting thread in a looong time.

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.