Like Tree0Likes

How did Don come up with the name Donzi?

Reply
Old 01-13-2006, 11:26 AM
  #11
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vice City & Tavernier, FL
My Boats: one ballsy Top Gun, a very fast Skater, one party Yellowfin....oh yeah, and two Boston Whalers
Posts: 5,851
Default Re: How did Don come up with the name Donzi?

I have heard of two the first one is that how he was such a playboy figure all his girls would call him "Donzi" and the other one was by his secretary.

Does any know how and where he got the name Magnum?

jr mike
thedonz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:27 AM
  #12
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,811
Default Re: How did Don come up with the name Donzi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecz20
drewzi, how do you expect for the kid to get any babes with the nickname drewzi....
I was robby all the way through HS, and I did pretty well.
Although I go as rob now, my bro and his wife are always running into girls asking him if he is related to 'robby'.
Ahhhh, the good old days. I had a boat then too!

BTW, everyday the shortbus pulls infront of my office at 3:45, and the girl working next to me tells me 'rob, your bus is here.'

Here's a shot of Drew. He'll do fine.
And if his name don't help him... his younger bro Jett will pick up the slack.
Attached Thumbnails
How did Don come up with the name Donzi?-kids-beach-11-6-05-006-2.jpg   How did Don come up with the name Donzi?-kids-beach-11-6-05-008-2.jpg   How did Don come up with the name Donzi?-kids-beach-11-6-05-045-2.jpg  


Last edited by Stormrider; 01-13-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:30 AM
  #13
Registered
 
birdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Batavia Oh.
My Boats: Top Gun
Posts: 4,034
Default Re: How did Don come up with the name Donzi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203
Donzi is derived from the latin word Donzia which roughly translated means "I wish I had a Cigarette"
Waaa
birdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:07 PM
  #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 228
Default Re: How did Don come up with the name Donzi?

Michael Aronow:
"The true story of the name is exactly like it was written in Don Aronow - King of Thuderboat Row - Morris Levy, owner and head of Roulette Records and close friend of the family for years, called Don - "Donsy" when the Formula 23' won an award in Esquire Magazine for its offshore abilities and its unique and tasteful interior design. Morris used the name "Donsy" to poke fun at Don as an interior designer.
That is the the true story - not as exciting as a cute blond calling him Donsy Baby, but true. Donsy became Donzi (Don liked the mystique of an Italian sounding race machine like Masarati and Ferrari) and the rest is history."
Cevert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:29 PM
  #15
Registered
 
Harper220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Omaha~LOTO
My Boats: 2001 28 TD Daytona
Posts: 1,496
Default Re: How did Don come up with the name Donzi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider
I was robby all the way through HS, and I did pretty well.
Although I go as rob now, my bro and his wife are always running into girls asking him if he is related to 'robby'.
Ahhhh, the good old days. I had a boat then too!

BTW, everyday the shortbus pulls infront of my office at 3:45, and the girl working next to me tells me 'rob, your bus is here.'

Here's a shot of Drew. He'll do fine.
And if his name don't help him... his younger bro Jett will pick up the slack.
Wow, they both have a head full of hair. Cute kids...
Harper220 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:41 PM
  #16
Registered
 
TEAMBAJA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Bucyrus, Ohio
My Boats: 24 OUTLAW
Posts: 6,654
Default Re: How did Don come up with the name Donzi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevert
Michael Aronow:
"The true story of the name is exactly like it was written in Don Aronow - King of Thuderboat Row - Morris Levy, owner and head of Roulette Records and close friend of the family for years, called Don - "Donsy" when the Formula 23' won an award in Esquire Magazine for its offshore abilities and its unique and tasteful interior design. Morris used the name "Donsy" to poke fun at Don as an interior designer.
That is the the true story - not as exciting as a cute blond calling him Donsy Baby, but true. Donsy became Donzi (Don liked the mystique of an Italian sounding race machine like Masarati and Ferrari) and the rest is history."

This is the version Ive heard before.
TEAMBAJA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:44 PM
  #17
Member #154
Platinum Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SW CT & Long Island Sound
My Boats: Missing my PowerPlay
Posts: 6,759
Default Re: How did Don come up with the name Donzi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonz
Does any know how and where he got the name Magnum?

jr mike
According to Speed Kills:
Formula - from the European F1 cars
Donzi - nickname
Magnum - inspired from a bottle of Champagne
Mistress - one of his other interests while married
Cigarette - from "The Cigarette" a prohibition era boat around Sheepshead Bay that stole liquor from rum runners then scooted away because it was the faster boat.
Indy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 PM
  #18
Registered
 
MarkSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago, Illinois
My Boats: Ocean Express Cat 39
Posts: 3,254
Default Re: How did Don come up with the name Donzi?

Explain why everyone calls me Azzhole???
MarkSmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:11 PM
  #19
Registered
 
Clay Washington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 6,986
Default Re: How did Don come up with the name Donzi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203
Donzi is derived from the latin word Donzia which roughly translated means "I wish I had a Cigarette"
LMAO!!!
Clay Washington is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:19 PM
  #20
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,811
Default Re: How did Don come up with the name Donzi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper220
Wow, they both have a head full of hair. Cute kids...
Thanks...
Now i just need to get them into an 18ft donzi.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
LiveWire
General Boating Discussion
15
04-09-2012 07:21 PM
dave911
General Boating Discussion
3
03-15-2008 04:30 PM
On Time
General Boating Discussion
19
08-13-2007 08:28 AM
MIKEHTMSR24
Formula
4
12-12-2003 08:45 AM
RLW
General Racing Discussion
8
10-29-2002 12:38 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.