Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat lift - vandalism problems anyone? >

Boat lift - vandalism problems anyone?

Notices

Boat lift - vandalism problems anyone?

Old 01-16-2002, 05:24 PM
Intolerant1

I bought a small battery powered remote control alarm at Walmart a few years ago. It motion sensor activated. Put it under you cover and push the remote button to activate it. If someone enters your boat, it will activate and has a very loud shrill siren. I think it was about $20. Wont protect your props but is enough to scare off most stereo theives. Cheap insurance. I also had one in my race bike trailer.

Old 01-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have 3 boats on hoist's at the end of our dock and a pontoon all these together maybe are worth one of your #6's. We have not had no one even get near our stuff. The props are always on and locked. They sit 5 days a week without us even around.. This is In a town where they steal street signs for replacement house windows
Old 01-16-2002, 06:21 PM
Registered

Let's just say that there are alot fo people around me with last names that end in VOWELS.

If anyone got a crazy idea and touched anyone's boat - the blue pannel truck would come with 4 BIG GOONS and sweep the perpatrators off their feet.

And they would never be seen again

Thanks Tony Soprano
Old 01-16-2002, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry

I have had a boat parked in my sideyard for the last 10 years without a problem untill 2 years ago when they put in a bikepath. Three months after it opened some kid tried to steal the stereo -no luck- my neighbor the sherrif came home and scared him off. I went out and bought a 75 watt sodium vapor lite that turns on at dusk. No problems-side yard lit up like daylite almost. Also I plug the boat in so that when I want to work in it it's easy to turn the lights on. Well the cord doesn't have a ground lug so I plug it in backwords-supprise the outdrives instead of being boat ground are now hot to the tune of 120 VOLTS.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:30 PM
572Daytona

The best way to keep from getting a prop stolen is to bolt one of these on the back
http://www.sammythieme.com/images/dscn0235.jpg

But seriously, there was a problem a few years back on the lake here where someone was stealing both stainless props and lower units from boats on lifts. The area where they were being taken was heavily wooded and the houses were not visible from the lake. I think having your dock visible from the house goes a long way to keeping would be theives away

Old 01-16-2002, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am gonna come over and steal the impeller out of that thing - is it stainless? I wonder if it would bolt up to a stearn drive. HUUUUM
Old 01-16-2002, 09:51 PM
Registered

Are you ready for the real solution? I have been working on this project for about two years now although I have been in the security industry nineteen years. I offer a small box that is hidden in the boat. The box contains a satelite transmitter, backup battery, and sensor that is mounted to the transom as well as a special internal electronic tilt sensor and cabin door sensor. The system arms/disarms by a waterproof remote control and can select tilt on/off depending if in water or on trailer. Transom vibration, entry or whatever you connect as a sensor when triggered lead to your notification. You can select a call, email, or fax. The boat will call you to notify silent alarm trigger, low battery, high water, etc. You can also program the boat to call you if the boat is moved from its location. The call will include information such as street level mapping. You can also go to the internet and see a map of where your boat is. The system costs about seven hundred dollars and ten dollars per month for up to ten monitored transactions. From anywhere, you can be assured that you boat is safe and secure. Feel free to call me for more info at (813)882-8477 9am to 6pm EST I also offer conformal coated remote marine security systems with vibration sensor and waterproof remotes for $125.00
Old 01-16-2002, 09:58 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
I have a prop lock and a drive lock on my boat. I know these won't deter the most determined theives, but they will slow them down. The McGuard prop lock is very easy to use; I have changed mine in the water before, and it is not a bear. I shaved the thickness of my prop nut down so I could use the standard lock washer, and put the prop lock on over the top of it. Plenty of threads left. If you were bent on protecting your drive, buy a bunch of stern drive locks, and replace all of the outside nuts. That would take forever to get off. if I had a lift, I would lift the boat as high as I could, and I would have a power cut switch for the lift in my house, or hidden wherever, so the boat could not be lowered.

Brian