Like Tree0Likes

Boat lift - vandalism problems anyone?

Old 01-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Registered

Post Boat lift - vandalism problems anyone?

Thinking about buying a boat lift and keeping the boat in front of the house on the water rather than in/out storage. Blower motors, number sixes and expensive props sitting on display make me worry. I have heard the stories of props on pontoons stolen which are generic for many boats. However, how many people steal props for a number six and grab 14:71 roots blowers? Anyone had theft problems because of boat lifts? Anyone tried alarms?
Old 01-16-2002, 02:52 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 32' Advantage Victory
I keep my boat on a trailer in front of my house, and would never even consiter leaving the props on. They disappear pretty often if left on, and the 2 minutes it takes will be wisely spent removing them by you, rather then some guy that see's them. Sounds like you need to buy a 2 5/16 socket. It's not much trouble to take them off. I put my props on at the launch, and take them off at the launch always. I've left them on a few times, and I pull mu truck up within an inch of the prop nut, and go in and then I cant sleep all night, cuz all I can think about is what if my props are gone... I've gotten out of bed a few times and put my truck in the garage and removed the props just to get some sleep. A little hassle for alot of insurance.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI
Brad,
I had the same concerns last year when I put our boat on our lift, (Although we just have a 280 Velocity w/ HP500/Bravo1, not nearly the $$ you have in your rig)
I was going to put a prop lock on it, etc, but I figured I would just lift it WAY up inside the covered lift and see what happens. I have the boat fully insured, and I didn't want the hassle of trying to get the prop lock on and off. I keep the keys out of the boat, and the battery switch is hidden and always off!
Anyway, we have had NO problems, and we live on a fairly busy waterway, (Sykes Creek). The boat is so high up off the water, I don't think anyone could reach it from the water/boat if they tried. Our German Sheppard maybe helps keep the bad elements away too!
We have a neighborhood where everybody knows each other boats, and that may help too?
Good Luck,
Dean
Old 01-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 High Torque Marine Sr24
I have had 3 buddies have stuff stolen of their boats. And have heard at least a dozen more stories on our lake. Props, starters, stereos, and yes outdrives. We have insurances but if you are like most we have to carry such high deductables. So most of what is stolen is coming straight out of our pockets.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:13 PM
Wild Horses

Pull the props EVERYTIME.
The first year (5 years ago) I moved into my neighbourhood I had no problems until the end of summer. Parking for my boat is on the trailer is the side yard across the road from a marina. One day I was cutting the lawn and trimming around the drives. I was moving on down the side of the boat when ?? huh ??, I went storming back and my $700 stainless prop was GONE. Just the nut and retainer lying on the ground. I was out of pocket due to the insurance deductible. Now with the Formula, x2 props, they come off every time. I still think it was a local and if I ever find out who it was I will torch their car!

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Wild Horses ]

Old 01-16-2002, 03:27 PM

My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat
We keep all our toys on a lift in summer indoor storage winter, in 16 yr, we have had one 25hp out board stolen. We have ins, however you all are all right about deductable. I think I may start pulling my prop off.
Hey Brad Z, if I had stuff as expensive as you I would lock it down best I could.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: 27Fountain ]
Old 01-16-2002, 03:29 PM
Registered

My Boats: Call me "Shockwave Dave!"
I have a friend who has a Formula 311 up buy the islands, kept on a hrydra hoist at his cottage, last yearsome low down mother f**Kers ripped off both bravo xr's and hydrolic steering.. butchered the complete transom!!!!!
Old 01-16-2002, 03:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI
Maybe we are just lucky, i don't know, BUT the way I designed our boat lift, you can't get to my prop unless you are in a boat with a 5' step ladder! Our lift is designed with the Maximum allowed Roof height per county zoning.
But if there is any doubt, I would take the props off too.
Dean
Old 01-16-2002, 03:51 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 8' row boat
I wouldn't worry about anybody stealing the blowers. They are too heavy and complicated to take.

Perhaps you should look into adding a motion detector on a 500 watt halogen flood. That should help scare anybody away at night. Hardwire the circuit so it can't be accidentally turned off.

So has the cat been sold?
Old 01-16-2002, 03:52 PM
Charter Member #1492
Charter Member

My Boats: BOATING, FAMILY, FRIENDS
I think it depends on where you live. Have not had to many problems in our neighborhood. Live on the Ches Bay in Va Bch. Entire neighborhood is waterfront homes, docks, lifts and huge Yacht club. Most people just dock, lift, or dry store there boats. Have not seen to many remove there props. My boat stays on the lift. Have the trailer available when I need it. Remove props for winter Lay-up.