Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Towing rule #1: Use tow straps!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/121620-towing-rule-1-use-tow-straps.html)

US1 Fountain 02-02-2006 04:58 PM

Re: Towing rule #1: Use tow straps!!!

I made a hard stop once, boat pushed the wench stand forward 3". Didn't even know it moved until I noticed the bunks extending past the back further than normal. Had transom straps on too. I think it would have moved another several inches before they tightened up. But would keep it on the trailer

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-02-2006 05:30 PM

Depending the angle that the stern straps have, it will not keep the boat from sliding forward. They will keep it from sliding off the back.
The strap from the bow eye to the center of the trailer will be the only thing to keep it from going forward. ;)

US1 Fountain 02-02-2006 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Depending the angle that the stern straps have, it will not keep the boat from sliding forward. They will keep it from sliding off the back.

Yep. My boat has to move some before the straps will kick in.

Comanche3Six 02-02-2006 07:33 PM

Tie down straps.....what will they think of next?

CMG 02-02-2006 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Tie down straps.....what will they think of next?

just another fad..

happy hours 02-02-2006 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by CMG
just another fad..

That's right..just like the CB radio....soon to be forogotten.

thisistank 02-02-2006 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
The strap from the bow eye to the center of the trailer will be the only thing to keep it from going forward. ;)

This guy had a large chain from the bow stop to the frame....It snapped. It was a commen agreement the stearn straps would've prevented this.

bojoe2 02-02-2006 08:57 PM

is that the new MYCO add. "Have you seen who MYCO suports? "PULL IT IN STYLE" of this is like the FOUNTAIN blooper in the tree. :D

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-02-2006 09:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bojoe2
this is like the FOUNTAIN blooper in the tree. :D

They are just so fast, you can't stop 'em!!! :eek:

But they are "The fastest, smoothest, safest, and best handling" whether it's on the water or in the back of your pickup... ;)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-02-2006 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank
This guy had a large chain from the bow stop to the frame....It snapped. It was a commen agreement the stearn straps would've prevented this.

I don't see a drive guard on the trailer which would leave me to believe the straps would be most likely straight up and down from the stern eyes to the back of the trailer leaving room for it to move forward. With the drive guard, which brings the trailer out several feet from the transom, then it may have prevented it from going forward.....

A chain was hooked into the bow eye & trailer? Damn! That was either one weak chain or one heavy boat!!! :eek: :eek: