Heading to Biloxi for Karina relief

Notices

Heading to Biloxi for Karina relief

Old 03-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Heading to Biloxi for Karina relief

well I worked my butt off all week working through an organization called ULM (urban life ministries) what a great group of people! I did a little of everything...drywall,painting, trim work,installed kitchen cabinets hot water heaters you name it, we did it. To make a long story short we got a great lady back in her home and got many more families closer to getting back in. I would like to encourage anyone who has any building trades in there background to donate some time to the cause all you need to do is get there ULM will feed you and put you up for your stay. We went down with 20+ people and had plenty of work for the entire group.Over spring break they will have almost 500 students down to help with the clean up and rebuilding efforts. It was a honor to meet so many great people and work side by side with so many of the survivors. Dont let the media fool you into believing that the Gulf coast has been forgotten it will rise again!!!and its well on its way.

Last edited by dyno; 03-06-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dyno, great job... There needs to be more people that help out like you did. I spent 5 months in Biloxi lyself and the time I was there I saw a huge improvement. There is still a LONG way to go.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

I'd live there in a second......snow sucks! I was right in Biloxi with some of the poorest people on the planet but I'll tell you one thing They are the salt of the earth some of the hardest working kindest people I've ever met. I'm as white bread as they come but by the time I left I didn't see color anymore just a group of good people in a bind that could use some help. I'm hoping that I can get back there next winter and bring my family with me.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

Dyno glad your back and that was very nice of you to help out, I am glad you were able to make a contribution. Does Herman Miller support their employees when they do this, I know some companies will which is a nice gesture.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
Oh you struck a nerve all right,maybe it was your choice of words.We need positive feed back not questions about how and why.When mother nature dis ides to destroy everything in it's path theres not a person place or thing that can stop it.Ask
the thousand of family members that lost love ones in the great tsunami.Believe me people were still trying to locate love
ones and the politicians were asking the same questions not even 48 hrs later.Believe it or not we do pay federal taxes down here too and into Fema program.Why or the tax payers
so willing to help other country's more than our own?Just remember this my friend wars and natural disasters create more jobs and income than any other industries!!In this area alone I have seen Just about every state plate in this country.A lot of people making big money from Fema and the insurance companys.Normal labor rates don't exist right now.
I don't understand why people live where you have to dig out your car to go to work and factory's shut down for weeks because of snow storms.Millions of Federal dollars spent to salt highways and bridges every year.Maybe you should come down visit ST Bernard Parish where not one home or building
didn't receive at least 8 to 15 feet of water.From Louisiana to Mobile Alabama there was total destruction.Houses that were 25 ft above sea level still received 6 to 10 ft of water.
I was born and raised in this area and wouldn't have another way.I have been all over the country and no where do I find people as friendly and out going as the south.When 911 happened Louisiana sent more equipment and response than any other state.Check the numbers in Irack also and see
how many troops are from here.May God bless you and your
kindness.

I can see you points that is for sure... After spends some time up there i can feel for many who have lived, and are currently living through it. As for the out of state contractor making a killing.. that isnt really true... some are yes, but not all. The FEMA guys are just making enough to cover their fuel bills is some cases, after talking to them I decided NOT to do FEMA work at all. I did private cleanup and lot clearings, restorations, that sorta thing. I can tell you I didnt charge much more than what I do around here, and I still had a lot of trouble finding work!... I went 2 weeks with out one paying job. I worked yes, but I did a lot of work for free.... I didnt mind doing the free work, but free does not put fuel in the machines, or food in my stomach, so I just could not affored to stay there any longer.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Donna HMI did pay my wages while I was there they allow me 40 hours of community service a year payed...I think I worked about 70 hours payed for my fuel, meals that I didnt eat at ULM and brought my own tools. There are people raping people on labor to rebuild I spoke with a drywall guy from out of state thats getting $3 a sq. foot in Michigan its about 40 cents.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dyno
Donna HMI did pay my wages while I was there they allow me 40 hours of community service a year payed...I think I worked about 70 hours payed for my fuel, meals that I didnt eat at ULM and brought my own tools. There are people raping people on labor to rebuild I spoke with a drywall guy from out of state thats getting $3 a sq. foot in Michigan its about 40 cents.
That's great that HM allows and encourages their employees to do community service. I know more people would be willing to volunteer if their company would support them.

Sounds like you sure worked you azz off, now they owe you a real vacation It sure is a shame about the inflated prices and the sad thing is insurance companies probably have set fees they reimburse the homeowner, so once again they are screwed
Old 03-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Registered

Don, welcome back and Kudos, Way-ta-Go, etc! Your efforts R awesome and I'm sure much appreciated! Take care, Tracy
Old 03-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

we had a great time.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job Don.

People must really be hurting down there to have the kind of unmitigated anger that we can see in some of these posts.

Quick Reply: Heading to Biloxi for Karina relief

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.