Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Great Moments In V Bottom History >

Great Moments In V Bottom History

Notices

Great Moments In V Bottom History

Old 09-22-2001, 02:18 AM
Hustler 26

T2x I just love reading your post. Could you please tell us where PowerPlay boats fit into the vee-hull equation. I know they have been around for sometime and their builder orginally raced offshore. Thanks .

Dave M. aka Hustler 26

Old 09-22-2001, 02:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T2x,
Thank you very much for sharing all the information with us, these are the kind of threads that make Offshoreonly GRRREAT(said like Tony the Tiger).
I was going to respond to Twin29's unwarranted remarks but you handled him perfectly.

Caleb
Old 09-22-2001, 02:32 AM
Registered

T2x

I have admired your knowledge of boat racing history, and posted my caveman story to make a point: Many designs are not new ideas, but are improvements over existing designs. If you look at the design transitions in automobiles, boats, planes, and rockets, there are very few 'original' ideas. Internal combustion engine on your boat?? that's old news. Big block Chevy? 40 yrs old.

You put a lot of effort into giving us your knowledge of boat racing history while at the same time knocking just about everything you don't or haven't owned.

Where did you get the idea everyone is interested in going 150 MPH on the water? Not my opinion, but many people outside of the performance boating community would probably consider you to be a suicidal idiot for going that fast. People have been killed due to excessive speed in both types of boats, period.

Just my .308

Ronnie aka Bulldog
Old 09-22-2001, 02:35 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
OK...Screamin..If youve got nothing better to say than "your clueless" then SIT down.Go back and read the posts...if their not over your head... .Now... T2x-#1 youre right also,you have angered me, specifically the comments that Vee's were 'moronic' and 'penile substituites'...you know you can state fact and your opinion without all THAT.after all theres probably only about 2000 Vee owners on this board,you gotta figure you might ruffle a few feathers...c' mon...#2- so skater is building a pontoon boat from hell(couldnt resist) with a cabin,what do you think of that?sounds like a compromise boat,you must hate it...#3 Ive done a little racing myself if you call racing Superbikes at a national level racing, and have learned a few things also #1 Just because its a good racebike(raceboat)doesnt mean its a good streetbike(pleasureboat)and that kind of sums up my feelings for cats(one dimensional)and finally If you want to play "stay with the fast guys" as you put it, you better be one well heeled SOB beacause there will ALWAYS be someone coming out with something faster...bikes are the same..BIGTIME!! That new Skater does 175? WOW! makes the ALL RISKS look like a slug, and the 120 mph cats..well hell ,they might as well just stay in the back with us Vee bottoms which brings me to my last point... That 1000 isles run I keep talking about, those guys spilitting through spectator boats at 140... Ive done A LOT of racing at those speeds, in a pack of 30 guys, and everything is fine until some one does something your not expecting....then you got pieces of bike (bowrider) everywhere,then the govornment and the insurance companies step in and try to take away your sport.... happened in bikes ...10 years ago. T2x...I dont dislike you at all ,I just dont nessarily agree with you and arnt afraid to say it
Old 09-22-2001, 08:00 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
OK.........now let's get back to the History of boats. T2x, I would like to know a little more about the 24' Excalibur. What was that popped from? I heard it may have come off a "P&D"? Do you know what years these boats were in production? I have one but don't know the year. As knowledgable as you are you may even know the boat. Obviously you know Kurt B. in Brick, NJ. He owned it in the late 70's. It was set up with a Jet Drive and was orange w/a white boot stripe. Just curious of the history and any info would help. Thanks in advance, keep up the great posts!!!
Old 09-22-2001, 08:45 AM
ScreaminDemon

The Powerplay 33 was originally the Cobra 32, from the late 70's...not many built. Molds were shelved while owner skipped country...then Dan Whinestein bought them and called it the Powerplay 33...good rough water performer, but i am sure that T2x will have more...i think the hull is a stretched 28 cigarette.

Old 09-22-2001, 09:00 AM

Twin 29, sorry I missed your reply last night but I have a 1 year old therefore we get to bed as early as possible. As for your comment that the number of cats that run over 150 MPH can be counted on one had, maybe that is so,BUT I own one of them.(see the earlier posts about boat on this thread)
Old 09-22-2001, 09:22 AM

That's a question that gets asked alot. I probally have 60 hours on the boat(it' new this year)but I bet that 50 hours of that are at speeds well over 100MPH. The boat and it's motors need regular attention by the team that built them. oil change(dry sump) every 10 hours, valves checked(an increase in the tolerance can detect early valve train failure)every 20 hours,drives magnet checked every 10 hours and change the drive oil every 40 hrs(dry sump VI) and tighten all the nuts and bolts daily.

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Otto ]
Old 09-22-2001, 09:22 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Screamin----The cobra 32' was an original, not a stretched anything.... It was designed by Jean Claude Simon, and featured a deeper, higher degree vee than some of the others. It therefore was/is better in rough water.....just as today's Sonics are better (basically the same hull). You gain rough water handling at the expense of top end, for some, this is a good trade off....for flats runners..... not so good.

Sharkey-- The P&D was another "pop" of the original 24 Magnum....Like I said , probably the most copied hull in history.
Old 09-22-2001, 09:26 AM
Ozzie

the 28 Sonic us rounded on the bottom. This makes it faster in flat water but not as good in rough?

Quick Reply: Great Moments In V Bottom History

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.