Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Great Moments In V Bottom History >

Great Moments In V Bottom History

Notices

Great Moments In V Bottom History

Old 09-01-2001, 11:07 AM
supercrash

OK If Don Aronow and Reggie Fountain didn't do anything for powerboating how did we get to where we are today? I belive there is something to say about developing and refining a good idea. Not just coming up with the idea.

Old 09-01-2001, 04:39 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking past the cynicism,everything T2X said is true.Glad to see some guys out there my age that know how we all started. More from T2x would be worth reading
Old 09-01-2001, 07:01 PM
Registered

T2x, Do you have anything good to say about anyone? How about Peter Hledin. Or is he just another copy cat? I'll bet Ray Hunt didn't invent the boat, so he's a copy cat too. Somebody must have changed something since Ray since we aren't all driving around in 31' Bertrams. Sounds like someone needs a group hug
Old 09-01-2001, 07:25 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Can't leave out "MIKE FIORE" or there wouldn't have been a way to reach the "OUTERLIMITS"....
Old 09-02-2001, 12:14 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Cool

I wouldn't say Mike revolutionized the sport, but he sure delivered us another option to buying a well designed,"QUALITY BUILT", great looking offshore boat. He certainly did his homework to as what tools and ideas to use to create such nice boats. From the VAC.BAG construction right on down to the beautiful finish he gets from the artist that paints them... It takes alot to keep a boat together when you are putting "MONSTEROUS POWER" in them. I know from experience because I have repaired many other offshore boats and have seen what's on the inside. Now correct me if I'm wrong,"Has anyone ever seen one of these boats come apart???"
Old 09-02-2001, 03:59 PM
Registered

The 42 OL that was first at the SCOPE 1st stop will run 136 mph and it has a kitchen and bathroom. He used to have a 37 around here with trip 500hp's that would do about 106. These Boats are rock solid.
Old 09-02-2001, 05:06 PM
Mr. Go Fast

Thumbs up

Ya forgot what Steve Stepp said in 1999 at the Miami Boat Show. Stepp says all step bottom boat are very dangerous and spin out. Stepp shows a video at the Miami boat show of other builders boat spinning out in Factory racing then in the 1999 racing season Velocity has 3 boats break up almost killing the crew and 2 spin out at the Worlds.
In 1999 about every performance boat manufacture annouces they too will have a F1 and F2 boat next year. Almost none hold there promise.
Leroy in AL.

Old 09-02-2001, 05:56 PM
Roger Hall

Ray Hunt did invent the V Bottom. The first V Bottoms were 23 foot Hunters produced in Fall River MA in 1957 - 1958. My father bought a hull in December of 1957 and we built it out in our barn. Ours was the 13th out of the mold. The 12th out of the mold won the Maimi/Nassau race that year and attracted Bertran's attention. He came in, bought the design and the rest is history. My family still has the origional advertising broshures for the 23' Hunter. I now have a 2000 382 Formula Fastec and it brings out fond memories of the hours I spent wave hopping with the Hunter on Buzzards Bay during my younger years. The boat had a tiller in addition to the wheel and you could sit on the transom with the tiller between your legs and the re-entry was really soft. We had a Chrysler Crown, 135 HP in it with a direct drive comming out of the bottom of the V. It only did about 30 but it was not uncommon to get the whole prop out of water. Great Boat and still operating out of Pocasset a couple of years ago.

[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: Roger Hall ]

Old 09-02-2001, 09:40 PM
Registered

I think we should throw a "blanket party" for T2X...........what do you say?

Old 09-02-2001, 10:27 PM
Registered

Let's get him.

Quick Reply: Great Moments In V Bottom History

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.