Like Tree0Likes

Do Cigs have superior resale value?

Reply
Old 03-14-2006, 03:54 PM
  #31
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
GLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, VT
My Boats: Azimut
Posts: 15,267
Default Re: Do Cigs have superior resale value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeek
Is that because the 1 Cig you bought & sold,you bought used at a steal.......and your Fountain you purchased new?
And if thats true doesn't that mean someone got beat
up pretty bad on that Cig ?
I would venture there are a lot more steals on Fountains.

Actually I think I made great deals buying the two Cigs I have owned and made money on. I don't think that the streak will continue on the 42 but I am not planning on selling in a while.

The specific problems with Fountain are that the Factory lowers their new boat selling price year after year to ensure volume and kills the re-sale market. I have been told that from a bunch of dealers and have observed it. Take a new 35 Exec. from 2002 to 2004 new prices went down $30k the poor saps that bought a 2002 in July 2002, when the 2004 came out in August 03, 13 months later is out a solid $50k if not more in 12-18 months.

My logic might be warped but today if I got out of my 42 I would bet I would not loose more than the money I have made on the other two. That would make 4 years of boating in Cigarettes with no depriciation, I hope your having as much luck with your Fountains.

In the end I would rather have one of three Cigarettes on our lake than one of the 20 Fountains. Those Fountain sure are fast in 2 footers days also... but I would rather be faster in 5-6 footers, and I have yet to see a Fountain pass me in that.
Attached Thumbnails
Do Cigs have superior resale value?-.jpg  
GLH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:58 PM
  #32
Lip-Ship- Grafikworx Glad
Platinum Member
 
pm203's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: MA and NH
Posts: 3,615
Default Re: Do Cigs have superior resale value?

You are right Lucky Jr. I have had numerous boats with cabins and never slept in them. I would rather tie up at a hotel and sleep there. Cabins seem to become just another storage compartment. I chose the Gladiator because of it,s hot looks and it,s sit-down configuration. As Philly says " it looks like a little raceboat".It,s like driving a Ferrari Spyder on the water!
pm203 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:18 PM
  #33
Registered
 
masher44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,076
Default Re: Do Cigs have superior resale value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH
but I would rather be faster in 5-6 footers, and I have yet to see a Fountain pass me in that.

what about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Do Cigs have superior resale value?-jc-activator.jpg  
masher44 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:38 PM
  #34
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Lucky Strike Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida
My Boats: 38 Top Gun T/S "Hot For Teacher"
Posts: 1,660
Default Re: Do Cigs have superior resale value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203
You are right Lucky Jr. I have had numerous boats with cabins and never slept in them. I would rather tie up at a hotel and sleep there. Cabins seem to become just another storage compartment. I chose the Gladiator because of it,s hot looks and it,s sit-down configuration. As Philly says " it looks like a little raceboat".It,s like driving a Ferrari Spyder on the water!
So have we. We even had a 11 Meter Trojan when I was born becuase it was the only boat that they could fit a porta-crib in the A/C and no one ever slept on it.

We were deciding between a Gladiator and a Top Gun...ended up with an empty cabin Top Gun..Go figure. If we lived on a lake we would have a Gladiator without a doubt. We discussed that many times

Last edited by Lucky Strike Jr; 03-14-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Lucky Strike Jr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:40 PM
  #35
Registered
 
Summer Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IN work & TN water
My Boats: boatless
Posts: 268
Default Re: Do Cigs have superior resale value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH
I have made money on all Cigarettes I have owned.

I have lost money on the Fountain I have owned.
Didn't that have to do with a lesson in depreciation
Summer Heat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:12 PM
  #36
Registered
Thread Starter
 
epeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lake George N.Y.
My Boats: 35 Fountain Executioner
Posts: 1,530
Default Re: Do Cigs have superior resale value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH
I would venture there are a lot more steals on Fountains.

Actually I think I made great deals buying the two Cigs I have owned and made money on. I don't think that the streak will continue on the 42 but I am not planning on selling in a while.

The specific problems with Fountain are that the Factory lowers their new boat selling price year after year to ensure volume and kills the re-sale market. I have been told that from a bunch of dealers and have observed it. Take a new 35 Exec. from 2002 to 2004 new prices went down $30k the poor saps that bought a 2002 in July 2002, when the 2004 came out in August 03, 13 months later is out a solid $50k if not more in 12-18 months.
********************************************
I didnt start this thread to talk about Fountain in general.
You are the one who broght up Fountain in your first post,
by making a generalized statment on how you lost money
on a Fountain purchased new in comparison to Cigarettes
you bought used. The statement was misleading,because
you never stated those circumstances. The statement that
Fountain continually lowers their prices is simply not true.
You have made that comment more than once. The truth
is that in 03 they introduced the Executioner at a reduced
price over the earlier lightnings as a line to get more
people into their boats at an affordible price when the
boating industry was starting to tank. They have never
lower the price on any of their other boats and the EX
has continued to climb in price over the years.

*******************************************

My logic might be warped but today if I got out of my 42 I would bet I would not loose more than the money I have made on the other two. That would make 4 years of boating in Cigarettes with no depriciation, I hope your having as much luck with your Fountains.

In the end I would rather have one of three Cigarettes on our lake than one of the 20 Fountains. Those Fountain sure are fast in 2 footers days also... but I would rather be faster in 5-6 footers, and I have yet to see a Fountain pass me in that.
In response to your zero depreciation on Cigs, lets run the
numbers. You bought your cafe at a very good price. Doesnt
that mean that SOMEONE lost alot of money,It just wasnt you.
The other Cig your talkin about was an old 20 ft, wasnt it?
If I'm right,that doesnt even count because it was under 10k.
Forgive me if I'm wrong on that one. Last but not least, In
real dollars I think the really expensive boats like Cig,O.l
and others, you loose more money if the boat was purchased
new. Maybe not in percentages,but in real dollars. For
example; If I purchase a new Donzi for 250 K and sell 3
years later for 150K, I lost 100k. If I buy Cig for 500k
and sell it 3 years later for 350k I lost 150K. You smell
the cake I'm bakin??? I may be way off base. Show me
I'm wrong. Again awesome boats,I'd love to own one.
But the high resale statement gets thrown around here all
the time. Just wondering if its for real. I'd love to hear
from some guys who bought brand new Cigs. Whats
your "for real" experience.

Last edited by epeek; 03-14-2006 at 06:15 PM.
epeek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:50 PM
  #37
Registered
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: cleveland
My Boats: boatless... with money in the bank!!
Posts: 5,798
Default Re: Do Cigs have superior resale value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeek
In response to your zero depreciation on Cigs, lets run the
numbers. You bought your cafe at a very good price. Doesnt
that mean that SOMEONE lost alot of money,It just wasnt you.
The other Cig your talkin about was an old 20 ft, wasnt it?
If I'm right,that doesnt even count because it was under 10k.
Forgive me if I'm wrong on that one. Last but not least, In
real dollars I think the really expensive boats like Cig,O.l
and others, you loose more money if the boat was purchased
new. Maybe not in percentages,but in real dollars. For
example; If I purchase a new Donzi for 250 K and sell 3
years later for 150K, I lost 100k. If I buy Cig for 500k
and sell it 3 years later for 350k I lost 150K. You smell
the cake I'm bakin??? I may be way off base. Show me
I'm wrong. Again awesome boats,I'd love to own one.
But the high resale statement gets thrown around here all
the time. Just wondering if its for real. I'd love to hear
from some guys who bought brand new Cigs. Whats
your "for real" experience.
i think the general spirit of this thread was intended to be obout buy used and then waht kind of depr...... the last 2yrs the industry has changed with prices skyrocketing(at least msrp) especialy with Bigger hp being more common
dreamer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 PM
  #38
Registered
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: cleveland
My Boats: boatless... with money in the bank!!
Posts: 5,798
Default Re: Do Cigs have superior resale value?

powerboat did a test on a furmula 38 w/600s... msrp was 490k
dreamer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 PM
  #39
Registered
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: cleveland
My Boats: boatless... with money in the bank!!
Posts: 5,798
Default Re: Do Cigs have superior resale value?

EVERYONE still wants a cig

end of thread
dreamer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:20 PM
  #40
Lip-Ship- Grafikworx Glad
Platinum Member
 
pm203's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: MA and NH
Posts: 3,615
Default Re: Do Cigs have superior resale value?

Epeek,
If you look at one of my earlier posts, I went over some of the actual numbers. With out a doubt, I can safely say that Cigarette is the best in regards to holding resale value and that the Topgun is the best resale boat of Cigarette.
pm203 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
halfgassed
Great Lakes and Canada
25
03-30-2008 01:41 AM
t-islands
General Boating Discussion
30
12-12-2007 12:35 AM
boathead
General Boating Discussion
2
07-22-2002 08:49 AM
velocity260
General Boating Discussion
4
01-23-2002 08:37 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.