Like Tree0Likes

Trailer info needed

Reply
Old 04-08-2006, 05:09 PM
  #1
JB Marshall
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
J.B. Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
My Boats: Formula, 382 Fastech - SOLD
Posts: 940
Default Trailer info needed

I own a 2000 - 38' Fastech and I am looking to buy a trailer. I am leaning towards a steel painted trailer from Loadmaster out of Pt. Clinton, Ohio. Has anyone had experience with this company?
J.B. Marshall is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:18 PM
  #2
Registered
 
plumbers crack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: bluffton sc
My Boats: 42 Outerlimits GTX
Posts: 1,516
Talking Re: Trailer info needed

No exp with them but I have a vip trailer for my 38 fastech,solid with electric over hydraulic brakes.They are built for formulas in arizona i believe.
plumbers crack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:16 PM
  #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Perfectmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Traverse City, Mi
Posts: 850
Default Re: Trailer info needed

JB
Call Great Lakes Marine in Michigan. I know they have a spotless Manning Trailer that was set up specially for an 03' 38' Fastech. It is red in color.
Perfectmix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:58 PM
  #4
Registered
 
formula31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: ohio
My Boats: 1988 Cruisers 2800 Rogue
Posts: 2,558
Default Re: Trailer info needed

The one they made for my formula 311 didn fit worth a damn and rusted like crazy in one year. Run away from them. They shot the paint right over rusted steel, no primer, no prep. Weld splatter everywhere. Was the worst thing I ever bought. The only good part about that trailer was the electric brakes.
formula31 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:33 AM
  #5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Perfectmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Traverse City, Mi
Posts: 850
Default Re: Trailer info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula31
The one they made for my formula 311 didn fit worth a damn and rusted like crazy in one year. Run away from them. They shot the paint right over rusted steel, no primer, no prep. Weld splatter everywhere. Was the worst thing I ever bought. The only good part about that trailer was the electric brakes.
Loadmaster or Manning?
Perfectmix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:36 AM
  #6
Registered
 
UNSANE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: O-town
Posts: 1,775
Default Re: Trailer info needed

I have an aluminum Loadmaster for my Fountain.................HATE IT!!! But it came with the boat so I'm stuck for now
UNSANE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:35 PM
  #7
JB Marshall
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
J.B. Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
My Boats: Formula, 382 Fastech - SOLD
Posts: 940
Default Re: Trailer info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSANE
I have an aluminum Loadmaster for my Fountain.................HATE IT!!! But it came with the boat so I'm stuck for now
UNSANE - Why do you hate the aluminum trailer? I believe the Loadmaster aluminum is built by a different company in Florida.
J.B. Marshall is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:50 PM
  #8
Registered
 
UNSANE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: O-town
Posts: 1,775
Default Re: Trailer info needed

Yes I have the Loadmaster that was built over in Tampa. I'm fine with aluminium, just not THIS aluminum. The boat is a pain in the butt to load and is never on the trailer right. I have to drive on level ground slowly then slam on the brakes to bring the boat forward into the correct place. I can't back the trailer down too far for loading because it starts floating around. The brake actuator is always sticking, I've gone through the system and nothing appears to be wrong but I have to pop it free before I back down and have to get the trailer way into the water before the boat breaks free. If I had the cash, I'd get a MYCO. I have a Performance aluminum on my 22' Stingray and that trailer is much better. Easy to unload/load and just an overall better trailer.
UNSANE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:10 PM
  #9
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Haymarket and SML, Va.
My Boats: 1988 Fountain
Posts: 199
Default Re: Trailer info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSANE
Yes I have the Loadmaster that was built over in Tampa. I'm fine with aluminium, just not THIS aluminum. The boat is a pain in the butt to load and is never on the trailer right. I have to drive on level ground slowly then slam on the brakes to bring the boat forward into the correct place. I can't back the trailer down too far for loading because it starts floating around. The brake actuator is always sticking, I've gone through the system and nothing appears to be wrong but I have to pop it free before I back down and have to get the trailer way into the water before the boat breaks free. If I had the cash, I'd get a MYCO. I have a Performance aluminum on my 22' Stingray and that trailer is much better. Easy to unload/load and just an overall better trailer.
I have the same problem with mine. The very first time I came home from the river with the boat on it, I thought I was going to burn the engine up in my truck pulling it. The master cylinder for the brakes wasn't releasing fully. It was so bad, it discolored the aluminum wheels light yellow. Lucky I didn't have a tire blowout. There was nothing I could do, as this trailer doesn't have a release lever like my last Continental trailer had. I called them when I got home and they told me to drill out this orfice plate that relieves the pressure. They said that with 6 wheel disc's, the pressure wasn't relieving quick enough before I would start up from a traffic light. I also have the problem of the trailer floating away, it's alot of fun launching and retrieving the boat by yourself with a trailer that floats. Just two weeks ago, I hooked up to it for the first time this year to take the boat to the lake and found that the brakes weren't working like they should. I bet I haven't pulled this trailer a dozen times.
88Fountain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:24 PM
  #10
Registered
 
UNSANE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: O-town
Posts: 1,775
Default Re: Trailer info needed

Well at least my brakes work, I think I'll call them too and find out how I can make the actuator release easier but it does release when I hit the gas from a stop. I put guide ons on and that helps with loading but I don't have forward bunks. I have the PVC bar so I have to not sink the trailer too much when loading. I keep the fronts of the fenders out of the water. But you're right, it's a little bit of a pain by yourself which is usually how I load it. I just think the trailer plain sucks and when the money's right, I'll get a better one.
UNSANE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rangerrick63
Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2
11-20-2006 07:20 PM
J.B. Marshall
Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
11
06-07-2006 07:50 PM
LubeJobs42
General Boating Discussion
6
01-12-2006 10:59 PM
DJD
General Boating Discussion
6
06-10-2004 01:31 PM
IceAngel
General Boating Discussion
36
08-15-2002 03:00 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.