Notices

Biggest Boating "Screw Up"

Old 04-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: Biggest Boating "Screw Up"

Originally Posted by hvyhitter19
OK...

.......since my lovely finance and cousin thought it was so funny........

Would that be a first or second cousin, that y'all be fixin to marry there??

Last edited by Top Banana; 04-12-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18 years old.....I'm idling out of the Kenosha harbor which is pretty long. First run of the spring. I'm in my Dads 18 Donzi and feel like a stud.

I'm approaching open water when it dawns on me the boat sounds about like a Ski Nautique. Pretty quit for thru hull exhaust.

I walk back and open the engine hatch and see I'm about to sink the boat. It's then I realize the exhaust petcocks are still open from the winter.

So much for feeling like a stud......
Old 04-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
Could of been much worse... Thank your luck stars and buy and nice pair of wheel chucks.
I'd buy some wheel CHOCKS (about 5 bucks a pair at WalMart):

I don't think CHUCKS are gonna do much good.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the matco tool guy that serviced our dealership did the ujoint thng but couldnt get out of the way, the rear wheels of the tool laden truck ran him over and almost killed him! he was in the hospital for months and i dont know if he ever went back to work.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at Smitty's marine in Brick NJ waiting to put my boat in the sling.
Ed's son comes around the corner with a 38 Scarab being pushed with
a forklift that had a ball on the end of the fork. He hits a bump and the
trailer pops off .........headed straight for the front of my dually !!!

Well I wasn't getting in the middle that.......it rolled about 30 feet and
one of the guys who works there threw a 4x4 under the trailer wheels,
stopped that thing 2 feet short of planting 2 bravos in my grill
Old 04-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the slow motion thing happen to me in the driveway. Our driveway is nearly level (or so I thought). I had parked my new 22' cat with twin o/b's in the driveway, unhooked and parked the truck. I then was admiring my new toy and leaning on the trailer. It rolled slowly into my almost as new Mercedes parked in the garage. Of course the sharp cleaver prop had to hit the bulls eye right into the tailight and trunk lid. $$$$$ I did not know if I should laugh or cry.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're pretty lucky. I stopped to visit a long-time customer a few weeks ago. He wasn't there. He was mowing with a tractor at home and stopped to open a gate. When he jumped down, he unlatched the brake. He reached to engage it by hand but it was too late- the tractor ran over him and he got caught under the mower deck. Dragged him quite a ways. They said it took several hours for him to bleed to death- they found him later that night.

You can always buy more stuff- but only if you survive.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:03 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

About ten years ago I parked my empty 33' trailer on my very steep driveway. Chocked one wheel, thought that was plenty. I pull my truck forward about 100' down the driveway to the street. I hear a loud scraping sound. As soon as I realize what the noise is. The trailer slams the back of the truck. The winch hits the tailgate dead center. The tongue gets wedged under the rear axle! I forget now how I got it apart. But it wasn't easy.

My next house will not be on a hill!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Registered

One Of My Best Friends Told Me The Best New Boat Owner Story Ever. Just A Few Years Ago, His Condo Was At The 9mm At Loto When He Had The Pleasure Of Observing A New Boat Owner Taking The First Splash Of His New Pontoon. He Thought This Was Safe To Assume Because Every Child On Board Was Still Wearing The Orange Around Your Neck Life Jackets When They Got Out Of The Truck And Boarded The Boat On Land. The Owner Proceeded To Back Trailer Down Ramp And Into The Water. He Got Out And Proceeded To Looked Puzzled As He Had Forgotten The Lecture From The Boat Delivery On How To "unleash" The Boat From The Vehicle. It Was Very Amusing To Watch For Many As They Saw Him Pull The Receiver Pin On The Hitch Of The Trailer As The Means To The "unleashing". None The Less, The Boat Floated And The Man Parked The Vehicle In The Lot Across The Cove From Everyone. It Took A Few Seconds After He Got In The Boat And Continued To Put The Boat In Forward And Reverse To Figure Out That The Boat Would Not Go Anywhere. His Large Wife Yelling, The Man Finally Listened To Everyone From My Friends Dock Saying That He Had Made A Small Error In Launching, I.e. Launched Too Much Equipment Which Took Several Hours And Several Of The Audiences' Help To Retrieve Back To The Shore Where It Belonged. I Have Made Several "what The Hell Was I Thinking" Moves, Yet This One I Thought Was Worth Mentioning, Unfortunately At The Expense Of A Past Boater(1 Best Day Of Owning, Day Bought And The Day Launched With The Trailer Attached And Sold Same Day).
Old 04-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Registered

well last year one week before the Jacksonville poker run i was working on the boat in my garage had the hatch up. another board member from here called me on the phone so as we talked i decided to jump in my truck and pull the boat out of the garage so i could hook the water to it and crank it . well the hatch hit the top of the door and broke the hatch in half, i almost did cry but my brother came over and two more friends and on Wednesday night before we were to leave on Thursday we put it back on fixed like new

Quick Reply: Biggest Boating "Screw Up"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.