Notices

A True Offshore Race

Old 04-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A True Offshore Race

Cuda your still missing the big picture. The sponsors will come when the sancationing body gets to work on a tv contract. By the way it has to be better than a cable network that isn't availble to most of the public (I really like the water channel now that Direct tv finally has it). Once you have a tv contract now you have something to sell to the sponsors. Case in piont before the Nascar tv package sponsorship for a top 5 team was 10-12 million now it's 18-20. As for lawsiuts offshore racing isn't all that differant from stock car racing. In that case look at what Nascar has done use an approval process don't let someone start in super cat or super vee. Use the slower classes for 2 reasons. One for those that don't have the budget & two for a training ground. If Big Bill (France) can have a release form drawn in such a manner that it protects the series & those around it I'm sure someone else can figue it out.

Last edited by allfiredup; 04-15-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I say screw the TV and Sponsors ...everyone just pony up and show up...everyone pay their own way. except that there be one pool of money to pay for a Heli and video so later on you can sell the DVD and everyone who participated can get a piece back. the Prize is Bragging and maybe an old real messed up prop.Only rule is help your fellow boater and take off is at 7:00 a.m. outta Port Everglades. Lunch is at 3:00 p.m. back in Lauderdale.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeee, anyone who wants to run show up at a determined location at a certain time, whoever wants to race pay up. just like any usual run just for fun, except more people and money involved
Old 04-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bjlesl
Case in piont before the Nascar tv package sponsorship for a top 5 team was 10-12 million now it's 18-20.
I bet most of the Offshore teams would be thrilled with a sponsor that paid then 1/100 of that amount. Plus, offshore has been on TV for years. The money never followed, or at least money never flowed to the racers.

If someone can find a sponsor with that kind of green, I'm sure any of the three groups would pay you a 20% finders fee.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Registered

boys.............. remember that NO insurance policies will be in effect during this race. If you don't care, thats fine, but we have some serious hardware and I know I won't risk $200, 300, 400,000 for a race (even though it would be the greatest race in decades ).

I got into this conversation with some old school racers last year in Sarasota and the insurance was the problem. Lots of the old school guys have boats that are just too nice to lose even though they would love to do it.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what channel is the water channel on direct tv?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bjlesl
Cuda your still missing the big picture. The sponsors will come when the sancationing body gets to work on a tv contract. By the way it has to be better than a cable network that isn't availble to most of the public (I really like the water channel now that Direct tv finally has it). Once you have a tv contract now you have something to sell to the sponsors. Case in piont before the Nascar tv package sponsorship for a top 5 team was 10-12 million now it's 18-20. As for lawsiuts offshore racing isn't all that differant from stock car racing. In that case look at what Nascar has done use an approval process don't let someone start in super cat or super vee. Use the slower classes for 2 reasons. One for those that don't have the budget & two for a training ground. If Big Bill (France) can have a release form drawn in such a manner that it protects the series & those around it I'm sure someone else can figue it out.
Exactly what point am I missing? I'd love to see it, but it ain't gonna happen.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:53 PM

p.apache will race a 41 apache. we have two right know one 6 man race boat an one 3 man full race boat.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

The cannonball run of Offshore racing. Nice. Something like this.....
1) $500K Cash(the more the better)to enter. A min. of 15 participants
7.5m+ purse. It has to be HUGE!! THE LARGEST EVER IN OFFSHORE.
2) One Rule "there are no rules". No medical, no safety, no support, until the winner arrives at the finish. It has to be hairy....real hairy. Turbine, diesel, etc. etc,....Life or clinging for life.
3) Participants will be notified of the course, date, time, etc. etc. three weeks before the event. Could start at 3:00 a.m. on a Thursday in December. Since the participants previously commited, NO REFUNDS WILL BE GRANTED. It will be harder to back out if they don't like the course.
4) Winner takes all. In the event of a tie the purse will be split.
5)The event will be recorded, produced, and sold with proceeds divided between all participants and the production company responsible. "Offshore -The deadliest race" . Ultra limited quantity, Big $$$. I can hear the commercials in my head (the voices are talking ) "15 boats, ???? people, $7.5 million, one winner"
6) In addition to the purse, the winner will be awarded the Masters Green Jacket of Offshore racing, a ____________???
7) After the event each participant may write books, make movies, etc. etc. Just the involvement in the race alone will be legendary let alone winning.....a modern day Don A.
8) It will be mandatory for all boats involved to have a "black box" as well as camera's to record every image, every word etc. etc.
9) Oh yeah, one more thing...NO SPONSORING ORGANIZATION. Just three witnesses, a couple Helo pilots, and a few camera people.

Oh yeah, the UFC of Offshore. Gets my blood pumping just thinkin' about it!! After this race aired on Fox,ABC, NBC you would start seeing droves of Fans line the shore at every offshore race. Offshore Racing would be HUGE AGAIN!!
O.K. back to reality.....how about these gas prices, geesh!
Old 04-16-2006, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Cuda is right...this thought pops up every year or so and it never happens because not enough boats want to get involved and the safety crew expense and the insurance cost are way too much.

You just can not do it like the old days and have boats show up and go for it because the 1st one to get hurt will sue the props off you nowadays.

Quick Reply: A True Offshore Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.