Notices

A True Offshore Race

Old 04-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A True Offshore Race

Originally Posted by Maximus
I heard the water can get pretty big out there (pacific). Summer usually lays down a little on the East Coast. How about out west?

m
Generally if your back before 2:00 then your in 2-3's. After 2:00 it's 4-5's. Like the East Coast, it all depends on the weather.

There are a couple of nice bumps on the course. If you catch one of the many pleasure cruisers or Catalina Express, you'll turn into an air show.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
I didnt know there was an ocean on the left coast.
its nice today i think i will go boating,
how is the snow?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Registered

There isn't any snow here in Jersey. It's about 68 and bright sun shine. I am jelous though I can't go out I'm still working.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bjlesl
... Untill the sancationing body works on a real tv contract you'll never attract a sponsor that'll get off the hip with enough money...
Actually, Not many years ago we had a strong sanctioning body and a great TV show. Something you may not realize is the sanctioning body had to PAY to get that TV show filmed, produced, edited and televised. That's right, they lost a lot of money getting those TV shows on the air. In the old Central Division / Great Lakes days it was the racers that shared most of the expense of the TV show. A few sponsors came along, but it seemed to me that some of the businesses that got the most, (and best) publicity from the exposure also paid the least.
The good side was the TV show generated a lot of excitement in Offshore racing and attracted new teams and racers come into the sport. A few of the new teams can't understand why racing is so expensive so they try to re-vamp the sport of offshore racing and Wa-La !! History repeats itself... again.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Boatnutz & Flamenco you guys have good pionts. Your right some of the sponsorship issues or fixes are not in order. That was mainly in reply to an earlier post that basiclly said that there is no way to sell an open ocean event. Also Nascar has there issues we have gotten a lot of heat about cookie cutter 1.5 mile tracks ( not thrilled about that either ). Me personally I loved Rockingham ( won races there ) & the other short tracks that are no longer on the schedule. But, just because that is our current course of action that doesn't stop people from voicing there thoughts. In a nut shell I'm one boater that owns an offshore boat that would love to see a little more varety in the race courses. That was really the piont of this thread. I got into everything else when I started see all the reasons an open ocean race wouldn't work. Like I said in an earlier post I know it would be hard but, it would be a hell-of-a-show. I still think Outerlimits would win. ( couldn't help myself )
Old 04-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flamenco
Actually, Not many years ago we had a strong sanctioning body and a great TV show. Something you may not realize is the sanctioning body had to PAY to get that TV show filmed, produced, edited and televised. That's right, they lost a lot of money getting those TV shows on the air. In the old Central Division / Great Lakes days it was the racers that shared most of the expense of the TV show. A few sponsors came along, but it seemed to me that some of the businesses that got the most, (and best) publicity from the exposure also paid the least.
The good side was the TV show generated a lot of excitement in Offshore racing and attracted new teams and racers come into the sport. A few of the new teams can't understand why racing is so expensive so they try to re-vamp the sport of offshore racing and Wa-La !! History repeats itself... again.
Couldnt have said it better..
Real offshore is so far from Nascar its not funny !
Id say closer to the Americas cup ..
Big water offshore racing has proven again and again to be a rich mans hobby. Im not shooting it down , id love to see some big water racing for a change, I just dont ever think it will be Nascar..nor is nascar a good role model for an offshore series
Old 04-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Registered

good morning guys,BJLESL, i think you have really good intentions but for my look like you have to do a better research of what are you talking about, nascar never can be compare with offshore boat races , there a lot of difference in the mater of organizations, during the last 50 year nascar bee working in what they are today,in the offshore races they change every year , who run where , new organizations , different set up for engines , different requirements. an in the safety point of view, nascar run in a close enviroment, so maked easy in case of an accident happen,rf