Like Tree0Likes

A True Offshore Race

Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: '93 43' Scarab "5" boat, 38 Scarab Miami Vice edition
Default Re: A True Offshore Race

That's great. First, is it going to be on tv? Second, will there be a dvd availble to buy? Also I didn't mean to leave out the left coast by talking about Miami to Bimini. Any open ocean race would be awesome to watch. As for orss most of the recent crashes that people where hurt in that I know about in races mostly happened in the extremly tight corners. Not many tight corners in ocean racing. Sorry if I offended you about your spelling.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlesl
That's great. First, is it going to be on tv? Second, will there be a dvd availble to buy? Also I didn't mean to leave out the left coast by talking about Miami to Bimini. Any open ocean race would be awesome to watch. As for orss most of the recent crashes that people where hurt in that I know about in races mostly happened in the extremly tight corners. Not many tight corners in ocean racing. Sorry if I offended you about your spelling.
i been doing races for 16 years as a recue diver and safety adviser and i can tell you the % of accident in the straight are equal to those in corners, if you ruining a cat and you take to much air in tunnel or a Cross wind well they go over, deep v's in jumps they landed wrong and get destroy, i recommended you see the video of freeze frame and you find out how can accidents happen, rf
ps; please forgive my spelling
Old 04-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2002 Outer Limits 51'

I didnt know there was an ocean on the left coast.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoutis3
I didnt know there was an ocean on the left coast.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Registered

My Boats: 38 Jupiter CC, Miss GEICO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Well, now.... That just settled that!!!

Yup.

TV and all the details surrounding the event are forthcoming. Raul (orss) knows his s**t.

Were bringing some heavy duty hardware out there to run.

I understand there are some serious V-s coming out to prove their worth as well.

M
Old 04-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus
Yup.

TV and all the details surrounding the event are forthcoming. Raul (orss) knows his s**t.

Were bringing some heavy duty hardware out there to run.

I understand there are some serious V-s coming out to prove their worth as well.

M
thanks max,
Old 04-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Registered

My Boats: one ballsy Top Gun, a very fast Skater, one party Yellowfin....oh yeah, and two Boston Whalers

finally a REAL offshore race

mike
Old 04-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Registered

My Boats: one ballsy Top Gun, a very fast Skater, one party Yellowfin....oh yeah, and two Boston Whalers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther
Will Reggie show up for a Miami to Bimini race?

your killing me here

mike
Old 04-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Registered

My Boats: 38 Jupiter CC, Miss GEICO

I heard the water can get pretty big out there (pacific). Summer usually lays down a little on the East Coast. How about out west?

m
Old 04-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Registered

Exclamation Re: A True Offshore Race

bjlesl:
You bring up good points but I question the order. You are absolutely right about the "show" and that's the one thing boat racers in general have a had time comprehending. That's not meant as an insult but rather it stems from the root of "my boat is faster than yours". NASCAR came from similar roots but Bill France Sr. put the reigns on it and literally developed the "show". (Do you remember the yellow flags in the "old" days when apparently nothing happened?)That and cars that looked like regular cars is what started attracting fans and once fans are attracted television sees a demand. You do not get the television contract first.
Offshore racing has been on ESPN and on Speed Channel to mention a few but each time it dies a somewhat slow death. It's a great show to a racer if his/her boat is on it. If not, then it's not a good show. It's also not a good show if the leader of the race isn't featured but shots of one boat racing does not excitement make.
Get the "show" together .... that attracts crowds ... crowds attract television ... television attracts sponsors.
We had a very good discussion on this site last year and I am always glad to see it come up because hopefully, one of these times, it will be paid attention too. The decision has to be made to go forward all on the same page either to build the sport or to leave it where it is right now.
Just some thoughts for all racers to ponder.