Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   LOTO- Sound Violations Worse than ever (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/127661-loto-sound-violations-worse-than-ever.html)

Griff 04-19-2006 12:31 PM

Re: LOTO- Sound Violations Worse than ever

Its going to be real difficult for any boat with 500hp+ without mufflers to pass the running test. I got stopped a few years back with the running test. I was cruising along at around 4000rpms. No mufflers at the time on a single 525SC. He had measured me at 89db going past him. I ended up with a warning.

Steve_H 04-19-2006 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Griff
Its going to be real difficult for any boat with 500hp+ without mufflers to pass the running test. I got stopped a few years back with the running test. I was cruising along at around 4000rpms. No mufflers at the time on a single 525SC. He had measured me at 89db going past him. I ended up with a warning.

did you happen to mention your profession BEFORE you got that warning :p

ghittner 04-20-2006 05:43 PM

Ok folks, where were you when they enforced the noise laws please... Thanks.

Wild 04-25-2006 03:43 PM

made it another weekend without a ticket, but saw another 38 cig get one on sat evening for running 96db at idle. $98, no wonder they are getting strict, they can make a fortune at that price.

Going to be a fun summer

Wild

Blue by You 04-25-2006 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by cosmic12
we are 90 also But the kicker here is we cant have switchable exhaust. we have to have mufflers or through the out drive. they will ticket us for silent choice. be glad you don't have to deal with that :(

I've heard this same chit? What are the manufactures going to do if they sell you a boat with silent choice and it's not legal? I know the amount of testing and calibration required on their devices will probably be the one saving grace for you. Go to court and ask to see their report showing the calibration test and their report regarding ambient sound. They most likely won't have it.

Suggestion: Team up with the local law enforcement on related issues and fund raisers...this is what we've done and it works. We work together to make the lake better. Rather than just a hard ass with a badge passing out tickets. What the heck... hold a radar shootout, use the patrol to judge speed and sell tickets, proceeds to the lake patrol. Remember's it's politics.

damdonzi 04-25-2006 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
90 decibels is for the j-2005 stationairy test, 42" off trancom 3 ' above water level, exhaust have to be open, switchable is illegal and they will ask you to see it, the moving tests is within 50' not more than 86 decibels, I passed the stationary with the turn downs in the water , running not even close to 86,

Wiggler: Can I ask what kind of turn-downs you are using and has anything "special" been done to them?

I'm trying to find out what people's experiences are with them.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=128029

jhiguy377 04-25-2006 07:41 PM

blue by you, you're a wise man - that's an important strategy to pursue

Brad Zastrow 04-25-2006 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ateco Marine
We've been going to the shoot out for several years with a group of hopped up boats, most without muffers. We're not obnoxious, but we do like to run them. So far there have never been any noise issues with the Water Patrol. I think if you are decent they pretty much leave you alone during the weekend of the shootout.

Brad, relax, you'll be fine. They may feel sorry for you, such a big boat, no top end or gas money!!!!

Very funny :D :D Your Ateco engines in my boat are the loudest most have ever heard. http://www.atecoengines.com/Default....y&View=Engines
I guess big tube headers and 5" dry tailpipes do not help either. I am going with the down turns to help keep the noise down. At the shootout I may have to just float around with gas prices so high. I could just tie up at the docks and tell everyone I was out earlier in the day. :p

JC 04-25-2006 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I was thinking of coming the to the Shootout this year. Do they leave boats alone that weekend? I can pass the idle test, but not even close in a drive by. I would like to cruise the river.

They gave me a ticket the weekend of the shootout two years ago. It was 1:00 pm going towards Back water Jacks for lunch with my wife and two kids in the boat.

masher44 04-25-2006 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by stecz20
sounds like a job for the sbrt crew.... :D

Could you imagine if we drag our rigs all the way there and get tickets? or worse pulled off the lake? These good ol' folks down here have no clue whatsoever...... How deep is LOTO? :fish: :fish: